Club Touareg Forum banner

North American RNS850 people with old maps, cmon in for a FREE update

132K views 426 replies 125 participants last post by  mmmike 
#1 ·
So we still haven't seen the V13 version of the north american maps come out yet.

I'm still hopeful that it could still come.

But rather than charge people for the V12 maps update, I decided to give back the my favorite community.

You will need the following:
0711 firmware or higher
32gb high speed SD card
battery charger and/ or enough fuel to have your vehicle running for 3 hours
a windows PC using the native unzip utility to unzip the folder

The instructions are inside of the zipped folder.

This link is good for ~7 days, i'll keep uploading and posting new links to keep this going...
Enjoy my friends :grin2:

https://fil.email/fiCISueW

See less See more
#8 ·
A very generous offer, Yrktreg, thank you!! I'm not terribly computer savvy, but if I understand correctly, my 2012 TDi, should be good to go for installing this navigation update? It has (Most software version and media version) HN+_US_VW_K0711 and (Navigation database version) 8R0060884AC NAR 5.5.3
PS. I was going to use your service to reflash my TCM after I had the VW emissions recall, but I lucked into an exceptional deal on an original, untouched 2012 TCM from a wreck! Works perfectly!

#9 ·
Thank you for providing the update! Unfortunately, the update is not installing. I see all the screens shown in the instructions, but the data does not download. After the first reboot when the download should be starting, after about 10 seconds passes the system reboots again, this time bringing up the final screen where the "Next" button is pressed (except that mine screen shows "Continue"). Pressing Continue gets me back into normal operating mode, but still has the old map data.

This may be because I did the unthinkable. :surprise: I mistakenly inserted the activation SD card instead of the maps card. I realized my mistake after about 10 seconds and switched the cards before entering Engineering mode, but that might have borked the install. Or, it might be something else entirely. Any thoughts you might want to share would be greatly appreciated.

#12 ·
Yes indeed, very generous YRKTREG.
I downloaded the map update successfully and now will burn both the map and activation data onto an SD card.

after reading the PDF instructions I'm unclear. will I need two(2) separate SD cards?, one for the MAP and another for the Activation?

I'm fairly certain that is the case however you only mention the need for one SD card above in your instructions...…

so do I need two high speed 32GB SD cards or just one?

thanks again.

#17 ·
Just wanted to say another huge THANK YOU! To Yrktreg!
The download, instructions and installation worked flawlessly, even for an old engineering Luddite like me!

#19 ·
Your battery charger ratings are just the maximum current (as the battery charges, while you are uploading, it will reduce the current) they will provide at that setting. I'd put it on the 6 amp setting to be on the safe side, Touaregs always like to have their battery topped up!

Reactions: robbb
#26 ·
Well I messed something up. I went through the update screens, clicked start, and it only took a few minutes before it was on the screen where you check that NaviPersistence says "OK", which it did. After that I clicked "cancel documentation" and it just rebooted to the normal screen. I keep retrying the update, but now it doesn't seem to want to update NaviPersistence, it says "N" on the screen where you press "Start Download". Any suggestions? I'm making a fresh copy of the files on my SD card in case that is the issue.

#30 ·
I just got a used 2017 Touareg sport tech model. I love it! Displaying the NAV info I see HN+_US_VW_P0739
7P6060 884F NAR 6.14.2. Am I up to date as of 7/17/2019? Yesterday, I got some very strange directions while driving south from Eureka California to Santa Rosa on US101. I’m told by the dealer that an update costs $380. Yikes!

#32 ·
Metadata problem?

Really appreciate the offer. I followed the really clear instructions... but after the "NAR 6.16.2 (VW)" screen i get an error saying that the metadata is not readable. Any idea why that happens?

I formatted the SD card on Win10 PC, FAT32. I copied the extracted 7P6051236BF folder, then tried again without the folder -- just everything that is in that folder. No joy.

Thanks

#33 ·
Really appreciate the offer. I followed the really clear instructions... but after the "NAR 6.16.2 (VW)" screen i get an error saying that the metadata is not readable. Any idea why that happens?
Windows 10 will only format cards larger than 32 GB using exFAT or NTFS (default is exFAT). The RNS850 can only read cards formatted in FAT32. If your card is formatted in exFAT you will receive that error message. Note: If you want to format a larger SD card using FAT32, you will need a third party format utility.

But since you are seeing the NAR 6.16.2, it seems to be reading the card. Be sure the files and folders are in the root of the card, not in a folder. Also check to be sure you correctly renamed the volume label to 7P6051236BF.

#34 ·
Thanks, @yrktreg. I got it to work using a PC, not a Mac as I considered before.

@Veets is correct. I started by using a 64GB card that I had laying around unused, and even Win8 wouldn't format it to FAT32, only exFAT. I tried exFAT and the RNS850 wouldn't see the card.

When I switched to FAT32 everything went according to instructions.

It did take a very long time. I bought a battery "trickle charger" for $40 locally that worked as expected for the job.

@yrktreg, let us know when the new update is available. I'll be the first in line!

#35 ·
@Veets: Nice hints... but same results. My SD card is an old 8GB one, but just to be sure I formatted it again ensuring that FAT32 was used. I renamed the volume as you indicated, and put everything in root directory.

I opened the text files on my PC (without knowing what SHOULD be there), and found one thing that didn't seem correct: The DBinfo.txt file contains:
#description file for database
PartNumber="7P6060884J " # mandatory 11 characters
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="1602" # mandatory 4 characters
SystemName="NAR 2017/2018" # mandatory 13 characters

Is that the correct PartNumber? I would have guessed it to be 7P6051236BF.

I'm tempted to edit the file... but I really don't know what it SHOULD be. Can you confirm?

Thanks much!

#36 ·
@DBob, You need at least a 32 GB SD card to do the update. An 8 GB card is too small. The files in the 7P6051236BF folder total 19.4 GB. I think what is happening is that only part of the files in the folder are transferring to your 8 GB SD card, which would cause the error message you are seeing. You do not need to edit any of the files.

#39 ·
Could be that the zip file did not fully download. How big is your downloaded zip file? The unextracted v12.zip file should be 14.3 GB, and will be 19.4 GB after you extract it. If you do have the full zip file, it may not be extracting properly. Extracting takes about 15 minutes on my Windows PC.