Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we still haven't seen the V13 version of the north american maps come out yet.

I'm still hopeful that it could still come.

But rather than charge people for the V12 maps update, I decided to give back the my favorite community.

You will need the following:
0711 firmware or higher
32gb high speed SD card
battery charger and/ or enough fuel to have your vehicle running for 3 hours
a windows PC using the native unzip utility to unzip the folder

The instructions are inside of the zipped folder.

This link is good for ~7 days, i'll keep uploading and posting new links to keep this going...
Enjoy my friends :grin2:

https://fil.email/fiCISueW

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2015 has firmware version P0735. This should work, correct? Should I consider upgrading the firmware? I couldn't find any info on P0735.
Yes you are good on 711 or higher :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A very generous offer, Yrktreg, thank you!! I'm not terribly computer savvy, but if I understand correctly, my 2012 TDi, should be good to go for installing this navigation update? It has (Most software version and media version) HN+_US_VW_K0711 and (Navigation database version) 8R0060884AC NAR 5.5.3
PS. I was going to use your service to reflash my TCM after I had the VW emissions recall, but I lucked into an exceptional deal on an original, untouched 2012 TCM from a wreck! Works perfectly!
Very welcome, and yes you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for providing the update! Unfortunately, the update is not installing. I see all the screens shown in the instructions, but the data does not download. After the first reboot when the download should be starting, after about 10 seconds passes the system reboots again, this time bringing up the final screen where the "Next" button is pressed (except that mine screen shows "Continue"). Pressing Continue gets me back into normal operating mode, but still has the old map data.

This may be because I did the unthinkable. :surprise: I mistakenly inserted the activation SD card instead of the maps card. I realized my mistake after about 10 seconds and switched the cards before entering Engineering mode, but that might have borked the install. Or, it might be something else entirely. Any thoughts you might want to share would be greatly appreciated.
D'oh!!:surprise:

You can try erasing the existing maps, and starting over. It MAY work...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes indeed, very generous YRKTREG.
I downloaded the map update successfully and now will burn both the map and activation data onto an SD card.

after reading the PDF instructions I'm unclear. will I need two(2) separate SD cards?, one for the MAP and another for the Activation?

I'm fairly certain that is the case however you only mention the need for one SD card above in your instructions...…

so do I need two high speed 32GB SD cards or just one?

thanks again.
Just 1 card needed. Put map files on your sd card insert it and let it update.

Delete or format SD to get rid of the map files, and then copy activation files on the same SD card.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a model year 16. Would it already have version 12 or would this be an update for me as well? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

Very kind of you to do this yrktrg.
Your is probably 2-3 outdated, your firmware should be good though...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Having first tried this on my Mac, it won't work. I tried numerous apps with no success. For some reason, unzipping on a Mac alters the file structure, or file size; which must be correct in order for the update to work.

Ultimately I unzipped it on my Mac using VMware and Win7.
Great idea! Yes i've had a few people try, and your spot on something doesn't unzip correctly so it changes the file size which it caught by the checksum so no bueno

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You had the map files on the SD card first?

It almost sounds like you installed the activation.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Hmm Ok I'll check again tonight, I dont remember seeing anything about the activation portion. Thank you for the help!
There are two folders that you will download. One is maps, and one is activation.
You can use the exact same SD card, BUT do not put the activation portion on the SD card until AFTER you have already completed the maps updates. When you visit the dealer they use two official SD cards. One is the maps, and one is the activation.
If you run the activation first it will not install the maps.

The instructions are hopefully clear enough where it goes over what the map sd card should be named, and contained as well as the activation folder.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Hi there, should you put the contents of the V12 folder in the root of the SD card, or the folder V12 in the root?
Contents of the folder, I even put screen shots in the zipped file so people don't get confused :p

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
If I was to get an android unit i'd look at this one:
www.aliexpress.com

US $527.2 20% OFF|Android 9 64+4G Tesla With DSP Carplay Car Multimedia Player Stereo For Volkswagen Touareg 2011 2015 Auto Radio GPS Navigation-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress
Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

The only downside it that it doesn't work with dynaudio which is a deal breaker for me.
I'm asking why, and also if they would be interested in a group buy.

And of course about the heated steering wheel control :)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I just completed the new map update. The instructions are very precise. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this and mostly to the map guru yrktreg. I did notice that after the firmware update the green menu that was activated before no longer seem to work does anyone have any ideas?
Yes the settings get reset with the update

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas why I can't install the Maps update. I did follow the directions correctly. Formatted my 32gb SD card fat 32. Named the volume. All files are copied into the root.

I can get through the setup process(setup recognizes the car and it shows the correct NAR version that I'm trying to install from SD1). It seems to start the setup process, but after 1 reboot, after 5 minutes, it seems to just finish the whole process early. I then click through (cancel documentation step), and after another reboot, i check the version, and it's still the old NAR version.

Any ideas on why I seem to be able to get into the setup process ok, but something seems to make it stop short?
Do you have all of the files in the root of the maps SD?
Did you install activation SD files first instead of maps?

I have screen shots of what both SD card folder/ file system should look like to try and make it easier...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I think the link is around post 10 ish for the V12 2018 maps which seems to be the latest for North America

1 - 20 of 21 Posts