Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
So I'm confused, what's the order of installation here
1- maps update
2- firmware update?

The maps seems straight forward.. Download file, use native unzip utility, copy to a 32gb SSD in fat32 format, and the nav unit will auto install once inserted?

The firmware update.. I'm going to check my version in a few minutes, but how does one do this update? I get that it takes 3 hours and you need steady power source

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
From what I have read you need to do the firmware update first and it needs to be 711 or higher. Then maps then activation. Be very careful and follow the instructions or you could ruin your radio!!! I am having a problem getting my firmware to update there seems to be an error in the path. This could be as simple as the name on the SD card but not sure?
Can I have the instructions for the firmware upgrade? Or are they bundled into the download file?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Damn you are awesome, thank you a MILLION. That seems like a piece of cake lol.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
My firmware version is 0319

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Maybe i'm missing this, but where are the firmware downloads located?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I just updated my 2012 touareg firmware
I went from version 0319 to version 0711
I used this link to download it: https://mega.nz/#!oRZh3ISL!VEj6LH3zDZMtQZ4BRQy4C5YOC-YhbKBpN2u4tIB_TEY
I then inserted a 32gb sd card. I formatted it at a mandatory fat32
I then unzipped the downloaded file from above and placed it into the SD card (unzipped version only)
I then followed post 101 to a T (download the PDF, read instructions) and after maybe 20-30 minutes the new firmware was up and operational. I had to resync my cellphone which took seconds. New firmware is fast and fluid. Seems to be a few more options over the old 0319 version. I'll test reverse cam response and connection time to Bluetooth phone tomorrow (this delay was pretty long on original firmware)
I'll also attempt the maps update tomorrow and reply.
yrktrg, thanks a million so far (and everybody else thats helping)

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Greetings,
I keep seeing "activation sd" in the PDF. Do I delete the activation folders off of the SD until the map stuff installs? I'm confused on that.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
^Did you use the attached PDF??? Why do I keep hearing "don't active first!"? This has me super paranoid.. not sure what activation means or is referring to.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Hmm Ok I'll check again tonight, I dont remember seeing anything about the activation portion. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
There are two folders that you will download. One is maps, and one is activation.
You can use the exact same SD card, BUT do not put the activation portion on the SD card until AFTER you have already completed the maps updates. When you visit the dealer they use two official SD cards. One is the maps, and one is the activation.
If you run the activation first it will not install the maps.

The instructions are hopefully clear enough where it goes over what the map sd card should be named, and contained as well as the activation folder.
Oh thats excellent! That 100% clears that up for me! Thank you so much. I feel comfortable moving forward with this now

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
^Mark there is a link a few pages back (in fact I think I reposted t) that still works

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
^son of a bitch.. you guys are right.. my HDRadio no longer kicks on/off w/ this new firmware!! My Tiguan used to do the same damn thing though, so I wasn't sure if it was a legit. reception issue or firmware issue. I bet the Tiguan needed firmware updates too.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Maps and firmware should be same download

Reactions: aliti19

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
In theory yes you could probably do it while you are driving but be very certain to not turn that ignition off or interrupt the process or you will be boned

Reactions: JMTreg

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Where did you get k0821? Is it compatible with this unit?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Ohhh it's a Euro-spec firmware.. thats definitely not going to work on an NA specced unit.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Nope, based my knowledge of electrical systems I'm wagering that unit is hosed and you'll have to buy a new one

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
You cannot use a Mac it's been said many times. The world runs on windows.

And yes it MUST be fat32

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Looking at the image you attached, the firmware did not upgrade.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
0319 is common. Sound like maybe just try again in a few days or a week. Something might be hung up in the system.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts