Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coolant level went from MAX to MIN level in about couple of months and 1500 miles of hard driving. I currently have 76K miles on it. Is this considered normal or should i be worrying?

·
Registered
775 Posts
No, Touaregs are not supposed to loose significant amounts of coolant, not even in years. That said. If you're loosing some, then you might have a leak somewhere. Usual suspects are water pump, EGR cooler and of course head gasket. The lines running from and to the Webasto auxiliary heater (if applicable) are also known to corrode with time and develop a leak in front left wheel well. Check oil level and bottom of oil cap for residue. Do the same thing at the exhaust tips. Look for any whitish-pinkish residue anywhere in the engine bay. And make sure the cap of the coolant reservoir is tightened properly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine does this as well. No white smoke out the exhaust, no sludge under the oil cap. I'm having my oil analyzed at my next oil change & my local dealer is going to pressurize the system & check for leaks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I don't have any symptoms described above. Do 4.2s have EGR coolers? Thought they were only in diesels? Also no smell of coolant anywhere. Will probably do pressure test next time I'm at the shop. In my previous vehicle which was Grand Cherokee I used to add about a quart of coolant every 1000 miles or so for as long as i could remember without any signs of coolant leaking as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't have the V8 in my car but the same thing is happening. Coolant loss without any sign of leaking or sludgy oil. Replaced coolant reservoir cap without any effect. I'm going to have a front end rebuild soon so I'll have my mechanic investigate. Hopefully it's nothing more serious than hoses or at most a water pump, if even that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts