Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just thought I would post a couple of pics on the upgrade of my standard RNS 850 sound. As we know the sound is CRAP!!! After much research I settled on an Infinity four channel amp, JBL GTO 609C components for the front and a pair of Hertz energy for the rear. I dont have time to fit it myself so I got a company to install it for me.
The amp fits under the boot board. I just removed the foam and it fits perfectly.

Will collect the car tomorrow and let you know how it sounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where are you having the fitment done? I see by your username you're in SA.

I assume you're doing the coding as well so you have a decent base to start from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there.
I did the coding but didnt notice much difference. Do you have to do anything else once done. I used a local branch of Soundmatch. They did a great job on my ranger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I imagine the coding is all that needs to be done to make sure your new amp is receiving an unmodified signal. I haven't had any work done on my Touareg yet. I did the coding a few days ago to see what the difference is with the stock speaker setup and it was horrible, I set it back to the way it was.

I honestly don't think my stock sound quality is all that bad, but I was running version P0775 on my RNS850 when I bought the car a couple of months ago and now I have version K0821 installed. I don't know if they sorted something out with the software at some point.

I see Soundmatch shops are all in the Cape so it won't help me too much. I will have to find a decent place up here in Joburg. I had an X-Trail before this and had some Rainbow speakers and an under-seat sub fitted by a shop up here and the quality of the work was shocking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi well I have to report it sounds fantastic!!! Not the Boom Boom of a taxi but real quality hifi sound. Nice tight bass and great high end. The amp tucked away nicely the only problem was the auto on which took a while to come on. This was solved using a hi low converter and driving it from there. I have enclosed some pictures of the standard speakers in case anyone wants to know.
Im on K775 did you get the dealer to upgrade the software?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your software version starts with a K then it has been upgraded by a dealer before. I asked the salesman to sort out the upgrade when I took delivery. I'm still under maintenance plan so I didn't have to pay anything. The maps weren't upgraded. I'm not sure of the latest database for Southern Africa anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi If you are looking for speakers and amps Autostyle have the best prices. The guys that did the install were under strict instructions not to drill holes etc and I popped in from time to time to check on the progress. They said that the Touareg is built like a tank LOL. The whole install cost me about 6k allot less than the Dynaudio I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a look at Autostyle. They definitely are the cheapest by far. But R6k is dirt cheap for that install. I'll definitely have a look at upgrading mine soon. There's some good space underneath the spare wheel for a sub as well...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I guess... anything is possible. It is a question of difficulty. The first question is really why would you want to? You're better off doing an amp upgrade and enabling the Dyna audio profile or at this point just try to buy a used Dynaudio system and install it.

What features are you looking for in an aftermarket radio? Also which model year do you have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess... anything is possible. It is a question of difficulty. The first question is really why would you want to? You're better off doing an amp upgrade and enabling the Dyna audio profile or at this point just try to buy a used Dynaudio system and install it.

What features are you looking for in an aftermarket radio? Also which model year do you have?

So I have a 2013, and I am a SiriusXM subscriber. Aftermarket radios have features that the stock doesn't, such as the ability to save tracks and artists. The current rns850 doesn't even have the ability to access newer channels, like those in the 300's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts