Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2005 2.5 tdi r5 Touareg.

I have been getting a bearing type noise while driving which i can't seem to pinpoint. I comes on at about 35-40 mph and increases with speed. it is worse on over run but reduces slightly when power is applied.
Also I've had what I will describe as a wobble/shudder. I have replaced tyres twice and put on a new set of wheels but it persists. It doesn't feel like it is coming from the wheels. There are no shudders when braking so i think the discs and pads are fine.

could the 2 problems be linked?

Help!!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If it is the driveshaft, you'll feel a "thunk" in the center console every now and then. Thunk. Thunk. etc etc.

I had an emergency repair of that bugger, and felt robbed by the shop I frequent after making the necessary repair. All fixed and running well, but the wallet took a major hit!.

Suggest getting it checked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for reply.
There's no thunk. I've been under her and looked at the bearing. Theres about 10mm play in the drive shaft when you grab it and swing on it. Is this normal? Should it be almost rigid?

I asked the garage to check it and the diffs and gearbox. Suspected maybe an oil change was need but mechanic said all was fine.

Also had to replace the 2 front lower steering arms as wheel alignment check revealed that bushes were shot. This seems to have cured the wobble tho.

Any info regarding gearbox diff and transfer box oil changes? are they a service requirement? VW service deparment said not to touch them unless there was a problem.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
VW don't know their arse from their elbow.

VW's "sealed for life" means run the car until you've ****ed it up so that the dealer can throw expensive new parts at it.

You have an eleven year old car.

Would you still like the engine to have the same oil in it as the day it left the factory?

Change the gearbox ATF, diff oils AND the transfer box oil - you buy that from your VW dealer in the correct 850 ml sized bottle.

There are how-to threads on here.

I'd suspect the prop shaft - no thunk is necessary.

There's a cheap fix here:

T1 and T2 prop shaft centre bearing fix for about £120 - myTreg forums

Repack the actual bearing with grease - a fiddly job that takes a few extra minutes but worth doing.

I do hope you know all about the EXACT engine oil spec to use in your car?

VW dealers themselves often don't by the way, and use the wrong oil.

Expensive premature camshaft lobe wear is a known issue so unless you know with 1,000% certainty you have the right oil, CHANGE IT.

If you cannot do this type of work yourself, then I hope you have found yourself a good VW independent - the VW dealer network is not for you with this age of car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts