Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 touareg started making a humming/grinding noise when I am turning right, the harder you turn the louder the noise, seems to be worse around 60km/h but you can still hear it around 100km/h. There does not seem to be any noise at really slow speeds. This noise is only when turning right and does not happen when going straight or turning left, it almost sounds like the normal drivetrain noise just increases a lot when turning right

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Are all 4 tyres identical make, model, tread pattern and with similar tread depths?

Otherwise stepper motor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All tires are identical and worn all the same, guess I will try the stepper motor, that is a simple job right, that's what I got from reading on here

·
Registered
82 Posts
Only turn left.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2014 TDI-Egg has done the exact same thing since day 1 (brand new)! It almost feels as if maybe the bearing(s) might have been defective from the manufacturer. I've taken it to VW for this specific issue 2X and both times they were unable to recreate the problem. Since then, I've noticed it is starting to occur more often than it did when I first got it. I first noticed it every time I turn right to go out of my neighborhood and drive through the exit lift gates. This RH turn and exit is on a slight (maybe 15 degree) incline, which might explain how it's only happening then?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think I am correct in saying that if it is a wheel bearing and the noise happens when you are turning right, then it is the left bearing that is the problem as it loads up in the turn, and it's vice versa if the noise only happens when turning left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
noobytoogy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing