Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while, while driving, a charm will sound and then message " No Programmed key was found." appears as well as a key icon shows up in place of the mileage counter (lower left corner) on dash. Touareg still function normally though. Prior to this alert coming up, the cabin fans go off then the charm then fans on again. The alert disappears minutes later (key icon disappears).

Any idea why? I haven't gone in for scheduled service yet nor have dealership responded to my enquiry on this. So far this is just an annoyance. Touareg drives and functions normally.

I have tried replacing battery in both key fobs. I only have 1 on me at any given time.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You haven't said what year, which model.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a 2012 TDI Exec. Once in awhile, I get the same message on the dash..."no programmed key found". The vehicle continues to work perfectly and no ill affects. Brought it up to the dealer when it was in for the last maintenance, but they did not find anything. It happens once in a blue moon, so we just ignore it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've had this happen when the fob was in my pocket along with a lot of coins and another set of keys. My theory is all that metal around the fob can interfere with communication to the vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Would that" too much surrounding metal " apply for it constantly saying "replace key battery" and I get that "key" light in the mfi where the brake/fuel/Kesey are? I just recently replaced my battery in my key fob and I still have the "key" light in the mfi and the warning message upon start up. Is it because I have too much metal near key fob? A bad key battery? another issue? Vcds? I don't have one yet...

2008 t2 v6

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the same problem with both key fobs on 2012 Touareg. It is a pain. My wife's fob she cannot lock the door in case she cannot unlock it. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
As mentioned previously, we have the problem show up on the dash on occasion " no programmed key was found" but the vehicle always operates as normal. The first time I was afraid to turn it off away from home, so I drove back home, restarted it, and it worked fine. So the next time it happened, I went on with my life as normal and it all worked fine. After I shut it off and re-started the vehicle, there was no errors.

So later, when I took to dealer with the complaint (under warranty) they claim nothing was wrong. Whatever....

But as stated, the vehicle always starts and always works despite the rare occasion of the "no programmed key found" warning. Soooo, until I get left stranded, I guess it works, and I'll ignore the warning. But when I get stranded, VW will be towing my rig under the extended warranty I purchased.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I would take a photo of the message the next time it comes on and send it by email to the dealer principal telling him to extract his digit and contact Germany for help since none of his folk have a clue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The cluster now reads: Fault: Keyless start, use physical key. Both Fobs have new batteries. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
The cluster now reads: Fault: Keyless start, use physical key. Both Fobs have new batteries. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
I recently needed to change fob battery. I put in a new CR2032, checked with a VOM before insertion, and showing 3.3V. Tried to start the car (keyless) and got a "key out of range" message. After several tries at removing and reinserting the battery without solving the problem, I put another new battery, of a different brand, in the fob, and everything worked fine. (Both batteries had been cleaned before inserting, to remove skin oils).

My suggestion: Before you start a dialogue with the dealer, go buy another CR2032 battery of a different brand, check it with your VOM, clean the contacts in the fob with a pencil eraser, and insert it without touching the contact surfaces. If the key now functions normally, you'll have saved yourself a lot of aggravation.

Good luck...sps

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a similar key problem a couple of weeks ago. Went to unlock the door with key in my pocket and it would not unlock. Dug in pocket and realized key was in pocket behind cell phone which was still communicating with my home wifi. I just chalked it up to some kind of interference.

Now I just try not to put both in same pocket.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I recently needed to change fob battery. I put in a new CR2032, checked with a VOM before insertion, and showing 3.3V. Tried to start the car (keyless) and got a "key out of range" message. After several tries at removing and reinserting the battery without solving the problem, I put another new battery, of a different brand, in the fob, and everything worked fine. (Both batteries had been cleaned before inserting, to remove skin oils).

My suggestion: Before you start a dialogue with the dealer, go buy another CR2032 battery of a different brand, check it with your VOM, clean the contacts in the fob with a pencil eraser, and insert it without touching the contact surfaces. If the key now functions normally, you'll have saved yourself a lot of aggravation.

Good luck...sps
Capt. I tried this as well, but no luck. Still comes up "Fault Keyless start Use physical key"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same warning in my case, a bit worse: I can't even unlock the car, either by proximity or by pressing the fob buttons. The red LED on the fob blinks when I press a button but the door won't unlock. It started this weekend, it was freezing and I had my hands full of groceries. I knew there is a slot in the handle to manually unlock it if the fob dies. One last attempt (and lots of good thoughts) before dismantling the fob and... it opened.
This scenario repeated a few times that day.
Once I enter the car and try to start it from the Start button, I get the "no programmed key found" error, but it starts just right if key is in the ignition slot. When I exit the car and lock it, it works fine with the touch of the hand.

I measured the battery and it's 3.2 volt.
Today I took the spare key and it seems to be working fine so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts