Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start with a huge THANK YOU to all that have posted here regarding the Brake Controller Install. I recently bought my 1st Treg and went to the business of installing a hitch, 7-pin harness, and brake controller. My 2014 has the mysterious wiring harness beneath the dash, i.e. "Tow Prep". I purchased the OEM kit and a Prodigy 3 Controller. I installed the hitch, 7-pin wiring, towing recognition module (green to green connector/ red connector to module/ black connector to module / and the CAN BUS splitter), N/O 12V relay, the special OEM harness connector and OEM wires to the Brake Controller. I was incredibly diligent and labeled all my wires to insure no mistakes. Here's the problem- my bake controller has no power. Based on all the previous threads I thought the controller wasn't getting voltage due to the Towing Module not being recognized by the main brain computer, so my wife took it to the dealer today to have them set it up. The Tech called me and said the lights work so the module has been activated, but the brake controller isn't powered until I hook up to a trailer. I hooked it to my trailer this afternoon and NO DICE!! I have since taken everything back apart and checked the wiring for the forth time. Wiring is correct, but I have no voltage on the harness foam covered factory connector on pin 2(+12v/Red & yellow wire) to pin 1(negative/Brown wire). I also have do not have +12v on pin 3(red & black wire) to ground, therefore, the relay wont close when the breaks are pressed. I thought it may be at the towing module so I checked both red & yellow wire and the red & white wire to the brown wire coming out of the module. these both have 13v. I AM CONFUSED! Is there another connector somewhere between the module and the foam covered connector that could be disconnected or did the dealer not set up the module properly? Can anyone please help????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wiring is correct, but I have no voltage on the harness foam covered factory connector on pin 2(+12v/Red & yellow wire) to pin 1(negative/Brown wire). Can anyone please help????
Did you ever get a resolve to this? I have the exact same problem! When I was wiring in the brake controller I did have 12v+ in the red/yellow wire and continuity confirmed ground/brown to chassis. I accidentally shorted this 12v with the ground when I had bare wires and now no more 12v. I checked every fuse in panel, under hood, and under driver's seat and they are all good ](*,)

I'm using the 12v from the OBD2 for testing but that has a 5A fuse so I don't think that's a permanent solution. I've read other say they had an inline fuse on the trailer harness connector but I can't find one. All the wires are wrapped so tightly I'd have to cut away all the wrapping just to check. Yet, there has to be a fuse of a kind somewhere?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts