Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. The service screen on my Touareg indicates that my oil level is too high. Is there another way to verify this? I read in the manual that there's no dipstick on the VR6. But I wonder if they just capped it and if there's still a place for me to extract some oil if it's overfilled. I'd rather not pull the skid plate and do the drain plug(I may drain too much). Is there a hidden dipstick or place for a dipstick? If not, how do you guys with oil extractors pull the oil from the top of the 3.6L VR6?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
If you really don't like your Touareg then use an oil extractor to change the oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to use it to change the oil, I want to fix the fact that the dealer overfilled it. Or at least verify that the digital reading is accurate.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yes, there is a dipstick cap. If you're facing the engine it should be to your right. Ultimately you can buy a dipstick that fits your model.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The TDI engines in 2014's and 2015's don't have the dipstick tube that our 2011 TDI has - we just bought a new 2015 and the same symptom appeared on the service screen with a pleasant sidebar of "Please reduce the amount of oil in the engine" - it does give pause to the notion that it would have been nice to retain the simple dipstick, since you can't be sure if it's slightly overfilled or excessively filled and challenging seal integrity...

The initial fears of a bad head gasket or a bad injector (which could have overfilled the crankcase with anti-freeze or diesel fuel) were assuaged with the removal of the oil fill cap - no white froth or smell of fuel - a good place to look first without the dipstick.

Yesterday was nice and windy 36 degree day - lying on the concrete - pulling the plastic "skidplates" and backing off the drain plug to a slow steady stream - watching the onscreen level and tightening the plug when it dropped - drained about a pint. My guess is that mechanics get confused about the capacity with liters and quarts - the parts department guy clued me in on this several years back by saying that I would need 9 liters to refill the crankcase on the 2011 TDI - I didn't argue and bought 8 liters - its capacity - or 8.5 quarts.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi there. The service screen on my Touareg indicates that my oil level is too high. Is there another way to verify this? I read in the manual that there's no dipstick on the VR6. But I wonder if they just capped it and if there's still a place for me to extract some oil if it's overfilled. I'd rather not pull the skid plate and do the drain plug(I may drain too much). Is there a hidden dipstick or place for a dipstick? If not, how do you guys with oil extractors pull the oil from the top of the 3.6L VR6?
Mark
Presumably you got your dealer to fill the oil on the last service. Hopefully this has just happened (or have you been driving around with the warning on for some time?).
Why not get the dealer to extract the excess oil and get the correct fill. That is what they should have done in the first place. Also good to get the error noted/recorded, in case there is an issue caused by this down the track. Hope there are not problems for you, but to be on the safe side make sure there is a record of it, and how much the overfill was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pjod, good call. Having them correct the issue is a great idea in case I have issues with the cat or o2 sensors down the road. I bought the car in December, so it's been about a month. I just noticed the oil issue once I started tinkering with the car's computer(?) in the garage. I hadn't looked under the service menu until now.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The TDI engines in 2014's and 2015's don't have the dipstick tube that our 2011 TDI has - we just bought a new 2015 and the same symptom appeared on the service screen with a pleasant sidebar of "Please reduce the amount of oil in the engine" - it does give pause to the notion that it would have been nice to retain the simple dipstick, since you can't be sure if it's slightly overfilled or excessively filled and challenging seal integrity...

The initial fears of a bad head gasket or a bad injector (which could have overfilled the crankcase with anti-freeze or diesel fuel) were assuaged with the removal of the oil fill cap - no white froth or smell of fuel - a good place to look first without the dipstick.

Yesterday was nice and windy 36 degree day - lying on the concrete - pulling the plastic "skidplates" and backing off the drain plug to a slow steady stream - watching the onscreen level and tightening the plug when it dropped - drained about a pint. My guess is that mechanics get confused about the capacity with liters and quarts - the parts department guy clued me in on this several years back by saying that I would need 9 liters to refill the crankcase on the 2011 TDI - I didn't argue and bought 8 liters - its capacity - or 8.5 quarts.
on 2014-15 the dipstick tube is hidden under the plastic cover.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought a dipstick for my 13 Treg. I then used a 4" hole saw to create an access through the plastic cover. Old school technology.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I ordered the dipstick for 2010 Touareg with 3.6 VR6 hoping it would work, P/N 03H-115-607-B, thinking it was the same engine as in 2011 but the oil level reading on dipstick is about 1" above area that would read full normally when I put down dipstick tube on mine.
The picture below shows oil dipstick P/N for 2011 3.6 but it appears to be for just the plug that goes into dipstick tube like it came from factory with.
Genuine Original Equipment Replacement Parts 2011 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 All Vehicles - 2011 - Volkswagen - Touareg - VR6 - ENGINE - ENGINE / TRANSAXLE - ENGINE PARTS - Dipstick

View All Parts on Diagram Volkswagen Genuine Factory Part

Fits 2011 Volkswagen Touareg VR6

Part Number: 079115418B

I can use the 2010 oil dipstick by draining pan and refilling with 7 quarts and scribing a line on it, better than not having a oil dipstick IMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to bring the thread back from the dead but just picked up a CPO'd '13 v6 gasser two weeks ago that just got serviced. I checked the oil condition last weekend and it was fine, a little below the max fill mark on the display. Today, its telling me there is too much oil? Could it be a sensor? Should you only check this while idling?

·
Registered
189 Posts
To use the onboard electronic oil level feature the engine is not running, should be warm and key on but engine not running.

If you are not on a level surface it could effect reading on the display.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DIPSTICK: 03H-115-607-B

1 - 20 of 22 Posts