Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 4.2 decided to npt communicate with my ODB/CAN reader.

I have used it with this car before.

The battery recently went dead, and wondering if there is something I should be looking for (Common blown fuses, etc.)?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had this problem with another car when one of the pins inside the vehicle connector pushed out of the plug. Your problem may be something else but good to know this can happen.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the pins and wires.

Anyone have any other ideas what it might be. (Has only factory accessories and radio.)

Anyone have a wiring diagram as to where I can pick up the OBD signals and jump in a socket?]

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Plug it into another VW/Audi if possible. Does it work?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plug it into another VW/Audi if possible. Does it work?
I have 2 readers. Both have worked with this car in the past, and both still work with my other German (CAN based) cars.

Neither one works with the Touareg right now.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes it appear the failure is in the Touareg.

https://components101.com/connectors/obd2
Yes, I kind of figured that part out.

Was hoping to get some hints from others that might have had a similar problem before I have to start dissecting the car.

One person on a FB group mentioned a similar problem with a bad dash cluster on a Golf.

Since that was the last thing changed (Although it appears to be working fine) I may pull it and see if the issue goes away.
One other suggestion was a bad ABS controller was a cause of a similar problem. (That is probably going to be my second thing to try)

I have asked on the VAG-COM group if it is possible VAG-COM could read past the error and give info on which modules are and are not communicating.
So far no definitive answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
N_Jay
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing