Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here this is my first post, go easy on me!

I have a 2003 Touareg which has no brake lights and only one side has any rear lights.

There are no reverse lights either.

It is a U.K car by the way.

Tried a new brake light switch, no good. Also tried a second hand light switch (the rotary one) and still the same.

I run a small garage and am about to go at the car with a wiring diagram etc but wanted to post here first and see if anyone might have any useful advise on this?

Have tried swapping the bulb holders and bulbs no joy.

The car did have an aftermarket tow bar so I have removed all the wiring for that, I have also checked the earth points in the rear.

Someone suggested the light control module....

The cluster that is just dead completely is not getting any voltage.

Could it be the old water getting into the loom in the passenger side footwell? (right hand drive car remember)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like you have a shorted assembly, light module is defective, or pin corrosion. Especially if you have one reverse light that works. As long as all the bulbs are good...I would go after those things. Brake and reverse are separate functions so you can isolate it. Also, a VAG-COM should tell you what it sees as a common fault....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply

No reverse lights only one fog....

Where is the light module located?

I have this info somewhere, I can track it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct.

Lets put it this way, at the rear all it's got is drivers side rear lights and fog light.

All indicators and all front lights work.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think the car only has the offside rear fog light anyway.

Is the high level LED brake light working or not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh that explains the lack of fog bulb in the other side. (but I did try a bulb as well)

High level also dead. Haven't opened that up yet either.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right had a bit of a breakthrough tonight.

Decided to hunt for the E box under the drivers side dash.

Once fuse box was loose/moved I immediately saw the loom further back under the dash had the wrapping opened up and a wire was crudely spiced onto a red w/yellow tracer wire. It led off over to the pass side......OK...

Took passenger carpet up to find this wire spliced into the same colour wire just in the passenger floor loom. So I removed it.

That was this afternoon. Went to leave tonight.......Brake Fault STOP!! message on the dash and it wouldn't disengage the park lock. Oh dear I thought, what have I got here!

So I quickly re attached the wire and sure enough, the errors went away and I could select D.

So clearly a module of some kind has gone?

Seems to me like there is no power getting the brake light switch and they've had to bodge it just to get the car drive-able...

Question is, what module? ABS?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guys I'm near to curing this.

Had the auto electrician check her out and the body control unit module had no output for the rear lights. So I got a new one today. The new module works but the fault is still there.

They're saying somewhere in the loom from front to rear there is probably a corroded connector.

Does anyone have any idea where there may be a connector that could possibly have corroded?

I've removed the rear seats but ran out of time so back on it tommor.

The erroneous wire turns out is a live feed for the transmission control relay located just above the battery.

So another problem it appears is that somewhere behind the dash, the original wire to said relay has a break in it.

Luckily these are two separate issues as the lighting loom has been tested independently. So it would seem these faults aren't linked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK it is fixed.

It was corroded wiring behind the driver side kick panel (UK car)

Plus it also had the corroded wiring on the other side which gave the transmission errors (stuck in park etc)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts