Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have lost our vehicular identity, because we were Saab people. So we're leaning VW. Wife just sold our 08 Rabbit (loved it!) to our daughter and started looking for an SUV. Wife is a nurse and has to get to work in snowy Rochester, no matter how bad the roads. Was sure we wanted the Tiguan till I drove it. Just felt tinny.

So on a whim we drove 6 hours to test drive an 08 Touareg V6 that seemed quite a bit cheaper than most and looked well kept. 113K, no rust, full records, one owner, etc. Bought it, of course.

Wow! What a difference from the Tiguan! Insane luxury, quiet, surprisingly good power, and room galore. Looks midsized on the outside, but feels big on the inside.

Looking forward to learning what I should do to keep it running well (transmission fluid change, for starters). Having it rustproofed (fluid film wax/oil spray) this Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome aboard for sure!! Looks quite nice. Plenty written on extended warranties listed on the forum. You will be so glad you made that purchase! Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
I have had my '10 since Nov '09. I have never rust proofed it since I had it. I live in UT which gets it's fair share of snow also. Mine is doing just fine. I would not waste the money on it personally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, unfortunately the temperature swings, continuous snow, obnoxious salt and brine... cars don't wear out here -- they rot out. You'll have a car w/ a decent body, sweet running engines, and all sorts of future left in it, except the frame is about to bust in half, you can't service your brakes anymore, and it won't pass inspection. I'm looking forward to giving Krown rustproofing (wax/oil treatment) a chance. It's a shame to have such nice cars (as the Touareg) around these parts!

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
East Coast snow and salt is murder on cars. Very unlike the rocky mountain region.
And I lived in PA for three years with the same car. So my point still stands. I see no point in getting rust proofing. Not to mention I live in Salt Lake City. Guess what they use on the roads here since we have an abundance of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny. I buy cars in Pennsylvania TO AVOID RUST! :) I bought this near Philly -- and I bought my Saabs down there, too. Maryland or Virginia would be even better, but compared to Rochester... no comparison. I looked at a 2010 up here and the body was fine, but the undercarriage was covered with rust. The 2008 I got in PA was essentially rust free. I can't speak to Utah, I can only tell you what we face around here.

Anyway, the locals swear by it (Fluid Film/Krown/etc.).

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It's wetter on the coast(s). I think that makes a difference, too. Here in the rocky mountain region(s), if it's 40% humidity, we think it's "wet" out! LOL!

If old VWs are anything like old Jeeps, however, once they're about 10-15 years old, the engine and transmission will start applying their own rustproofing! LOL!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts