Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused (not difficult).

I'm aware of the subtle, and not so subtle, differences between a FWD/AWD platform and a RWD/AWD platform - the former having all engine cylinders in front of the front differential and the latter, in AWD form, having some or all of the engine cylinders behind or over the front differential - at least that's my understanding.

As far as VW Group platforms go it's the difference between the Audi-led MSB/MSB2 platform and the Porsche-led MSB platform. All the references I've seen on the 2nd generation Audi Q7 (2015-on) are that it's on MLB2, ie FWD/AWD just like the A4/A6.

I'm not bothered what the Q7 is on but intrigued as to which platform the "T5" Touareg will be on when it's announced - any clues?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
According to these guys:

2018 Volkswagen Touareg spy shots

The Touareg rides on the SUV version of VW’s MLB Evo platform, whereas the 3-row SUV (Atlas?) uses the less expensive MQB platform. The SUV-spec MLB Evo platform made its debut in the 2017 Audi Q7 and has since appeared in the Bentley Bentayga. Other SUVs set to adopt the platform will be a new Porsche Cayenne, new Lamborghini SUV and a new full-size VW SUV based on the T-Prime Concept GTE unveiled in April.

·
Registered
774 Posts
MLB = Longitudinal engine
MQB = Transverse engine
MSB = Sedans only

MQB vehicles with All/4 Wheel Drive use a Haldex system (clutch based)
MLB vehicles use a Torsen (mechanical) system, but some of the car based MLB's are running a Haldex system

Since the Touareg has always been descended from the Cayenne/Q7/Bentayga, I would assume that they are going to again use the same platform.

The Q7 has always been on a stretched version (now shared with the Bentley), while the VW and Porsche have been on the "standard" version. I assume this will carry forward now too.

As an aside, I parked next to a current Cayenne today (even a diesel!) at work and was marveling at all the common parts - side mirrors, front door glass (including the triangle windows), and dimensionally are so similar too. I do like the larger rear spoiler on the Porsche, but I'll keep mine!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MLB = Longitudinal engine
MQB = Transverse engine
MSB = Sedans only

MQB vehicles with All/4 Wheel Drive use a Haldex system (clutch based)
MLB vehicles use a Torsen (mechanical) system, but some of the car based MLB's are running a Haldex system

Since the Touareg has always been descended from the Cayenne/Q7/Bentayga, I would assume that they are going to again use the same platform.

The Q7 has always been on a stretched version (now shared with the Bentley), while the VW and Porsche have been on the "standard" version. I assume this will carry forward now too.

As an aside, I parked next to a current Cayenne today (even a diesel!) at work and was marveling at all the common parts - side mirrors, front door glass (including the triangle windows), and dimensionally are so similar too. I do like the larger rear spoiler on the Porsche, but I'll keep mine!
I had assumed that as well - but MLB/MLB2 is a different transmission layout to the current Touareg/Cayenne hence my question

MLB/MLB2 transmission puts the engine totally in front of the front diff with the drive for the front diff internal within the transmission and the diff in the bell housing - MSB is similar in layout to current Touareg/Cayenne where the drive for the front diff is external, allowing the front diff to be alongside the engine.

It comes down to where the engine weight is in comparison to the front axle - MLB/MLB2 puts the engine where it would be on a FWD car, indeed some versions are FWD only - that's a less than ideal weight distribution.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've done some more digging - it seems that MLB2 accomodates both types of front drive - with external driveshaft and front diff housing like Touareg, Q7, Cayenne, Bentayga - and - with front diff within the bell housing like A4, A6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts