Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a 2005 v6 toureg from a private buyer. It is in great condition and clean. I test drove at normal speed and found everything smooth and as it should be. After the purchase, I noticed a grinding rumble at over 80kmh and particularly when I take my foot off the accelerator. Not sure if my reading on this site indicates it may be the bearing or front shaft. It needs a service anyway and will have the answer shortly no doubt. It is a great family saloon and is deceptively spacious. I'm looking forward to taking it on the next family road trip.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You bought a Touareg, not a Toureg! Pronounced Twaah-reg - long A, hard G if you're not sure!!

But it does sound like it might be a failing rubber on the centre bearing. It's easy to check but just getting it up on a ramp and having a good look at the rubber "diaphragm" - the thin surround.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked under the car and there seems to be a bit of play around the support bearing, but doesn't seem much. Is it supposed to be rigid or a little bit of movement. I really haven't got a clue.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
HI Tourtes,

I am in Melbourne and happy to help if needed. PM me your phone number if you need a hand. I have VCDS as well, if you need a scan done.

Might be an idea to put Melb in your Location details.

Stuart...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
OK, OK, touareg I know! I didn't see it was corrected by my spellcheck function. I'm making enemies already...
Not at all - some of us just enjoy taking the Michael!

Enjoy your motor [Toureg AND Touareg come up as being mis-spelt on here!!]

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Huh T5 in 2017 WTFF.... Noob ????

the only one with a T5 should be 4E and then let it disappear for something better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, is there any place recommended for inspection of the bearing/shaft issue near mulgrave Victoria? I am anxious to resolve the matter so that we can use the car over Christmas. I understand this will be expensive but no other option at this stage is available. Please also advise if there has been any durable resolve to this issue. Has VW addressed the matter? It seems otherwise a very expensive car to own if the bearing requires fixing at relatively short intervals.

·
Registered
2010 R50
57 Posts
Hi
I replaced my worn drive shaft and coupling with a Spidan GKN (who I was Told was original supplier) from Imparts cost $1000 installed it myself fairly easy job

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hi all, is there any place recommended for inspection of the bearing/shaft issue near mulgrave Victoria? I am anxious to resolve the matter so that we can use the car over Christmas. I understand this will be expensive but no other option at this stage is available. Please also advise if there has been any durable resolve to this issue. Has VW addressed the matter? It seems otherwise a very expensive car to own if the bearing requires fixing at relatively short intervals.
Any good garage can inspect the centre bearing easily and quickly [15 minutes tops] on a lift with you under there as well! Find a VW independent preferably that has worked on Touaregs.

Goggle or Bing pictures of failed bearings so you know what you are looking at: i.e. torn rubber in the thinner "diaphragm around the bearing

No VW hasn't changed anything so the bearing should be treated as a service item and changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles which really should only cost around the Oz equivalent of GB£300.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.