Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I’ve just joined the Club Touareg forum as I’m interested in buying one and am trying to work out which year/model might suit us best.

Our VW mechanic has suggested keeping it simple and sticking with the standard steel suspension. We’ll be using it for road trips in Australia and would like to be able to get to places like Coongi Lakes, Birdsville etc. We’re not really four wheel drive people so thinking that some reasonable ground clearance and good AWD capability will do the trick. I really don’t won’t to have to get a 4wd vehicle, i.e. Prado when 95% of our driving is on the bitumen.

So a few questions (apologies if they’ve been discussed already, perhaps you could provide a link to the relevant thread?):

- Where can I find the specs of the different generations of Treg’s and when changes may have been made (for Australia)?

- The spare tyre factor! I’ve read a few threads about how people are carrying full size spares, great info - thanks. A friend has a work around for his Subaru where he manages to fit a full size wheel with a deflated tyre in the spare tyre well and carries a small compressor with him. Does anyone know if this might work in the Treg?

- We’d like the rear passenger seats to fold flat, I’ve seen a 2016 model and they don’t fold flat. Apparently this changed in 2018? Is it possible to remove the rear bottom seats in the earlier models so the back does fold flat?

- If anyone has a white V6 150TDI model with low kms in QLD I’d be interested :).

Thanks, Nicole

·
Learner
5,176 Posts
Welcome Nic
Fire your vw mechanic, air suspension has proven extremely durable and must have from my 16yrs of Touareg experience.
You load the car up and it airs up and you don't lose precious clearance for your outback trips.
You are pretty much after the 7P or the latest CR model Touareg specs, all online.
In 7p ie from 2011 onwards there was a change in 2015, facelift and other, so try and get a 2015 plus model.
Get a roof rack and throw two spares on top for off-road and out back trips. Else a towbar contraption...
Don't think the deflated tyre option would work but haven't heard anyone try that.
Rear seats can be removed altogether if you like but don't fold completely flat.
Good luck

Reactions: Odessa and Blade74

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A deflated full size won't fit. If you look at the neat spacesaver in the boot you will understand why!

Learn how to use tyre strings as well.

·
Learner
5,176 Posts
A deflated full size won't fit. If you look at the neat spacesaver in the boot you will understand why!

Learn how to use tyre strings as well.
Fixed the last two flats myself, to learn, how easy, didn't even have to remove the wheel... Definitely most venturing out there should acquire the skills... Getting sidewall ripped is another matter... Best carry two spares for outback

Reactions: Nic G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Nic
Fire your vw mechanic, air suspension has proven extremely durable and must have from my 16yrs of Touareg experience.
You load the car up and it airs up and you don't lose precious clearance for your outback trips.
You are pretty much after the 7P or the latest CR model Touareg specs, all online.
In 7p ie from 2011 onwards there was a change in 2015, facelift and other, so try and get a 2015 plus model.
Get a roof rack and throw two spares on top for off-road and out back trips. Else a towbar contraption...
Don't think the deflated tyre option would work but haven't heard anyone try that.
Rear seats can be removed altogether if you like but don't fold completely flat.
Good luck
Really appreciate your reply Singh, thank you. When I first discovered the Touareg was an option I was pretty excited about the air suspension option so I’ll check these out 😀.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it seems that the only problem with looking at the V6TDI with air suspension as opposed to the V6150TDI is that they come with 20inch rims! What were VW thinking? Is that right?
From all the reading I've done it looks like 17's (preferably) or 18's are best for going off road. I'm also aware that 20inch tyres are expensive are harder to get. I can't see us having two sets of wheels and tyres (haven't got anywhere to store them) so I need one all purpose wheel and tyre.

·
Learner
5,176 Posts
So it seems that the only problem with looking at the V6TDI with air suspension as opposed to the V6150TDI is that they come with 20inch rims! What were VW thinking? Is that right?
From all the reading I've done it looks like 17's (preferably) or 18's are best for going off road. I'm also aware that 20inch tyres are expensive are harder to get. I can't see us having two sets of wheels and tyres (haven't got anywhere to store them) so I need one all purpose wheel and tyre.
There are loads of rims and tyres available for off-road on road...used ones I mean.
Else, from what I gather the kind of off-road you want to do Pirelli scorpion at or at plus in 20s will do you fine.
There are other options such as LTZ in 20s as well.
I personally use 18s for my off-road, but then I do low range aplenty

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
55 Posts
My V6TDI that I bought 4 months ago has 18 inch rims on it. The previous owner had it from new and I think they specced it that way as it is a country vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a look at the V6TDI today to get a feel for the air suspension. It seemed to sit a lot higher than the 150TDI just in it's normal height setting, which I guess may well be the case - I'm finding it difficult to source the ground clearances on all the different models and years. I'm still wondering if we might need the air suspension for the type of trips we're planning but I'm also wondering what the V6TDI looks like with 18inch rims on it (as I won't take 20 inch rims into outback Australia). It'd be simpler to get the 150TDI with 18 inch rims as standard that's for sure. Any chance you could send a pic or two Autodas or anyone? Thanks, Nicole

·
Learner
5,176 Posts
I had a look at the V6TDI today to get a feel for the air suspension. It seemed to sit a lot higher than the 150TDI just in it's normal height setting, which I guess may well be the case - I'm finding it difficult to source the ground clearances on all the different models and years. I'm still wondering if we might need the air suspension for the type of trips we're planning but I'm also wondering what the V6TDI looks like with 18inch rims on it (as I won't take 20 inch rims into outback Australia). It'd be simpler to get the 150TDI with 18 inch rims as standard that's for sure. Any chance you could send a pic or two Autodas or anyone? Thanks, Nicole
For 7P
steel suspension sits at 222mm
air suspension, depending upon the setting varies from 172mm to 300mm, loading level is down to 147mm
road level is 197mm
offroad level is 247mm
xtra offroad is 300mm
high speed it comes down to 172mm over 140kmph
approach departure angles are 33, front and rear when at xtra ie 300mm

if you can afford, get the air suspension, whack on 18s with good atr rubber and enjoy your travels. with steel, with all the gear/weight you lose precious clearance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,184 Posts
Here is a picture of our R Line, now running 19" rims (to give you an idea)

Original 21" rims

And here with the 19" Cayenne rims fitted with ATR+ tyres.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
276 Posts
I downgraded from 21's on my R-Line to 20's. Haven't regretted it at all. Nitto terra grapplers in 275/45R20 have been fantastic, and they are tough. I've been out western queensland as well towing a 2.7T caravan. I like a balance of looking good, road handling and performance, as well as off roading capabilities and this rim combo has been perfect for my travels.

·
Learner
5,176 Posts
I downgraded from 21's on my R-Line to 20's. Haven't regretted it at all. Nitto terra grapplers in 275/45R20 have been fantastic, and they are tough. I've been out western queensland as well towing a 2.7T caravan. I like a balance of looking good, road handling and performance, as well as off roading capabilities and this rim combo has been perfect for my travels.

View attachment 240539
Looking great there @Snerlo
Agree, 20s are better than the 21s on the Rline.
And contrary to the prevalent views the larger sizes offer good practical off-road experience.
People used to baulk at 17s for off-road use a few years ago and now it's a norm...

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

View attachment 240539
Wow, super handsome vehicle Snerlo, thanks for sharing the pic. How are the Nitto tyres for everyday driving on the road? Noisy? Cheers, Nicole

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
276 Posts
They're fine. If I was going to do a direct comparison between them and the pirelli scorpion road tyres on my 21's, I would say that they are certainly different. The nitto's are noisier than the road tyres, and they don't grip as well, but that is to be fully understandable. They are by no means bad, just don't expect them to be road tyres. It is good being able to just drive wherever you want and not have to worry about whether you are going to damage an expensive road tyre. The other thing that was good was that I bought them on a buy three get one free deal, so even better. Plus I reckon they look great too. The only other option I had two years ago when I put them on was the cooper zeon LTZ and if you compare spec for spec, the nitto's have a couple of things going in their favour. Not that the coopers are bad, not at all.
Here is how Optimus looks when he's nice and clean!!

And another one when he's dirty! 😆

Close up of the front wheels when dirty

1 - 20 of 48 Posts