Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Tomorrow I am going to pick up my 2008 3.6L V6 Touareg Black. The engine has done Km 137000. I checked the vehicle history at the local VW dealer: all major services were done in house and the gearbox got replaced (under warranty) in 2011. The car still needs the major service to be done for the Km120000. I got the vehicle checked by my mechanic and he reported the following:

MAJOR REPAIRS
- Both Front Lower Arm bushes (need replacing)
- All Four Shock Absorbers show weakness (advice replacing)
- Disk Brakes too thin (need replacing)
- Bakes Pads (need replacing)
CONSUMABLES
- Window Wipers (front and rear)
- Hood Strut (need replacing)
- Armrest Top Lids damaged (need replacing)
ELECTRONICS
- Door Central Locking Not working from car door control (works fine from the remote)
- Rear RH door window not working

As the vehicle needs to do its major service for the Km120000 I was thinking of getting the MAJOR REPAIRS in the list done at the VW dealer, which will give me 2 years warranty on it. They quoted me £ 1500 for parts and labour. I will maybe have the CONSUMABLES and ELECTRONIC jobs done in a cheaper garage.
What would be your ideas in regard?
I would really appreciate your expert comments.Bow Down

Thank You

P.S.
CAnt WAIT to Go to pick it up tomorrow:D
Will it be safe to drive with the lower arm bushes almost non existent?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I wouldn't touch a used Touareg with that list of repairs.

I'd be VERY surprised if you get away with only £1,500 for that lot at a VW dealer.

That list is thick end of £4,000 and more if the Kessy locking is fubarred.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice Noobytoogy. The deal was already done at the time I wrote the message. Eventually I got all the jobs done at the VW dealer here in Muscat. We hit a bit less than 3k pounds. I put some Bridgestone Dueller HS on the 18" rims and it drives a wonder on the road. Touch wood.
I have got another question about the electric control of the side rearview mirrors: if I select L both mirror moves for adjustment - if I select R only the right mirror moves. Is this how it is supposed to function?

Regards
Thank you
Diego

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Select L, adjust left mirror, switch to R and adjust right mirror. Don't bother with the switch thereafter!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
He didn't mention what happens on the fold function.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think my model ( 2007 3.6 v6 FSI) has any fold function. Does it?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Move the switch to the 6 o'clock position with the ignition on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you - I have just gone downstairs to check. The actual switch does not move to the 6 o'clock position. I attached the pictures of the switch and from the instruction manual to confirm the model I'm driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I still think your switch should move to 6 o'clock but if it doesn't don't force it!

Don't leave it at 12 o'clock - the mirror heaters will be on all the time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a setting that can be changed with vagcom that when you adjust the drivers side mirror, the passenger side will adjust with it. Not really sure what the point of it is but it is possible the prior owner coded it to do that. It's an easy fix if you know your way around the Ross-tech software.

Also it looks like you do not have the power folding option with your mirrors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good point - well spotted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all, I really appreciate your inputs. The reason for this peculiar behaviour of my mirrors could be that this one is a GCC specs model. I heard that there are some differences from the models sold for other markets like cooling system, AC settings etc. ...and maybe no folding mirror.

Thanks again you guys are Aces

1 - 14 of 14 Posts