Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Recently picked up a 2004 V10TDI.
The beast is a perfect compliment to my E63 M6 BMW....... V10's FTW.

The Touareg has 136k miles and is stock except for a Steinbauer "tune".

Thanks for the site....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you haven't already seen it do take the time to read the buying a used Touareg thread - the link is in my signature - so you know the more common things that go wrong and also which oil you MUST use in your early V10 to avoid camshaft lobe wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I 'm about to install the factory tow bar, and harness, is there a module I need to reset or install?..... any thing else I should consider upgrading for towing, ie: cooling, etc.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
5W40 is the right viscosity, but it also needs to be VW 505.01 spec as well. The spec will be somewhere on the bottle, an example is below.

Also a new V10 owner and love it. Picked it up off a customer who didn't want to replace a battery (which was being killed by rear window not registering as closed) for $1500 candian..... with 148,000km. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above your oil MUST be VW505..01 or VW506.01.

The cam shafts' lobe tips are so acute they shear oil molecules and the VW spec oils have additives so the tips stay lubricated.

So unless your oil meets the spec, change it ASAP.

There are lots of threads on here about fitting towbars so use the Search function but you don't need to do anything on the cooling side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
noobytoogy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing