Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I put some new shoes on the R50. ended up doing the deal with Ozzie tires Hoxton Park. Ozzie import the rims blank and Use CRC machine to get the offset as required as well as the bolt settings.

This made it pretty easy, choose a rim that you like with the right weight specs and then have them fit while you wait.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Nice look Bails. Using the CNC is an interesting approach of One Size Fits All. How did they go machining the spherical recess for the bolts?

Stuart...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice look Bails. Using the CNC is an interesting approach of One Size Fits All. How did they go machining the spherical recess for the bolts?

Stuart...
No Issue just looked off the shelf, they chucked in a wheel alignment as well, plastic wrapped the old wheels after re fitting the old tires, excellent service.

Can;t say much else at this time, ended up with scorpion tires which may be a mistake but will see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the smallest wheel that will fit on an R50. Will the Cayenne 18's bolt up and clear the R50 brakes? Looking for off road options and 18 inch mudders would work if the wheels will fit.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 inch wheels have all been used on the Touareg by VW and will fit the T1, T2, T3 and T4 with the exception that the 17s will not fit the V10 and, I think, the Hybrid.

19 inches is a poor choice due to the limited [and expensive] tyre/tire choices on the market.

20 and 22 inch can compromise off-roadability due to the shallow side walls if that is important to you.

You can increase the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre [the standard OD is 29 inches in any VW wheel/tyre offering give or take a fraction] to 30 or even 31 inches.

In your market where the R5 was available, beware that wheels from these have a different PCD [5x120] to all the other Touaregs [5x130].

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Some 18s will fit but not all. I tried a few after market wheels and the well was in the wrong place and the brakes touched, Audi Q7 18" fit but they are only 8"wide or there are also 7.5" ones around rather than the 10" wide 21s. No problems with 19s except very limited patterns available for the tyres. 20" has been used by a few members and they seemed happy. John

What is the smallest wheel that will fit on an R50. Will the Cayenne 18's bolt up and clear the R50 brakes? Looking for off road options and 18 inch mudders would work if the wheels will fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My plan is to keep the 22's for general road use, but when we go on holidays or into the bush, throw a spare set on the car with good strong off road tyres.

My real concern is brake clearance. With the bigger brakes of the 2008 R50 V10, I thought that some of the Touareg wheels may not clear.

There are 17 / 18 and 19" wheels available on fleabay, and good off road tyres available for 17 and 18" wheel sizes, but will these slip over the brakes on an R50.

For instance, these would make for good off road wheels:

4 X VW Touareg 17''Alloy Wheels Genuine 5x130 PCD FIT Audi Q7 Porscche Cayenne in NSW | eBay

BF Goodrich make a variety of tyres to suit 17 and 18 but nothing to suit 19.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
848 Posts
18's seem to be a tight fit on my non-R50 V10's.... If the wheel weights are not placed properly they will interfer with the front calibers and get scraped off by the caliber.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
uzz32soarer, check my post yesterday. I am peaking from experience with my own R50, not just a V10. John

·
Registered
722 Posts
Some 18s will fit but not all. I tried a few after market wheels and the well was in the wrong place and the brakes touched, Audi Q7 18" fit but they are only 8"wide or there are also 7.5" ones around rather than the 10" wide 21s. No problems with 19s except very limited patterns available for the tyres. 20" has been used by a few members and they seemed happy. John
Minor correction... my Q7 18's were 8.5" wide. Cheers, Dub

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Fair 'nuff Dubby, I was half expecting there would be at least one other rim width but hadn't come across them. John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts