Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and girls),

My name is Simon and I'm from Christchurch, New Zealand. I recently bought a 2011 Touareg V8 TDI.
Many years ago I had a MkIV Golf GTI, but for the past 10 years or so I have had three Ford Rangers.
I was about to buy yet another Ranger when a friend of mine asked me to help him search for a good used Treg. I went along with him for a few test drives and after driving the V8 TDI I was sold, and ended up buying that for myself. The seller turned out to be a former workmate of my fiancee so I negotiated a very good deal.
My friend ended up buying a 2009 V8 FSI so we are twins once again (he also used to have a company Ranger).
We've enjoyed the past couple of weeks comparing our Tregs. Mine has features his does not have, and vice versa.
The best thing about my Treg so far was discovering it has launch control - it's fantastic fun! I'm also loving the sheer power of the thing. Oh and the steering wheel heating is quite nice. The only things I miss from my Ranger so far are the adaptive cruise control and qwerty keyboard on the sat nav (minor things really).
I have a caravan and Bayliner Capri boat so I am looking forward to towing both with my new Treg once the weather here improves in a month or two.

Immediate plans:
1. Replace frayed driver seatbelt
2. Have scuffed alloys repaired & repainted
3. Improve (darken) the tinting - particularly the front side windows
4. Get a full interior/exterior detail with paint protection (why did I buy a black car???)
5. Brake shoes & discs will be due most likely within the next 10,000kms according to the local service agent.
The seller was going to do most of the above work before sale, but after costing out all of the above, I proposed a further generous discount in return for organising it all myself and a guaranteed quick sale. He was happy to agree as it saved him a lot of effort. I will still end up a few thousand dollars ahead in terms of what it's worth vs what I paid.

Here's my Treg:

Here's my friend's Treg:

And here they are on their first outing together......

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Check the brake advice yourself!

Many owners get told by VW dealers they need brakes at an extortionate price when they don't. It can be a huge gouge.

Wait until the brake wear warning light cones on when you will still have at least a couple of thousand miles or more to either order the parts to DIY or find a good workshop to do the job at far less money than VW will charge you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the brake advice yourself!

Many owners get told by VW dealers they need brakes at an extortionate price when they don't. It can be a huge gouge.

Wait until the brake wear warning light cones on when you will still have at least a couple of thousand miles or more to either order the parts to DIY or find a good workshop to do the job at far less money than VW will charge you.
Yes that's what I thought. The last service receipt warned that the brake replacement light was due to come on "in a few thousand kms" but that was over 10,000kms ago now and no light yet.

I have access to VW parts through a friend of a friend, and my father in law is quite a skilled mechanic so he will do the labour for a few beers. So should be able to get the work done for a lot less than the previous owner was quoted by the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
wheelbarrow01
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing