Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Same design on all of them. Not limited to a specific year at all.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you had been carrying the Jimi Fix you wouldn't have been stranded!

The centre bearing has only been a significant repeated problem on the Generation 1 cars - the T1 and T2 as we call them - with the life span typically being 60,000 miles or 5 years. Some went a bit sooner, some a bit later and some not at all and usually it was only the thinner section of the rubber that was the problem hence the Jimi fix being so useful.

I can only recall one drive shaft issue reported thus far on the later Generation 2 cars - the T3 and T4.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had been carrying the Jimi Fix you wouldn't have been stranded!

The centre bearing has only been a significant repeated problem on the Generation 1 cars - the T1 and T2 as we call them - with the life span typically being 60,000 miles or 5 years. Some went a bit sooner, some a bit later and some not at all and usually it was only the thinner section of the rubber that was the problem hence the Jimi fix being so useful.

I can only recall one drive shaft issue reported thus far on the later Generation 2 cars - the T3 and T4.

Thanks. I was hoping to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 Touareg TDI with 85k miles here in Oregon and have been reading up on known issues to include the center carrier bearing. This vehicle will be less of a daily driver and used more for road trips and occasionally pulling a small trailer with a snowmobile. Anyway I crawled under and the bearing support looks different than all the other pics I've seen. It looks to be much smaller and the large bracket with 6 bolts is there but there's no bearing support between it and the chassis. The rubber bushing looks to be almost new or is original and exhibiting few if any signs of age. Everything looks good and feels solid. My original plan was to preemptively do the Jimi fix but now I'm not so sure after checking things out. Did VW change this arrangement for 2012?
The pic shows the bearing bracket with
it's two torx bolts.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 Touareg TDI with 85k miles here in Oregon and have been reading up on known issues to include the center carrier bearing. This vehicle will be less of a daily driver and used more for road trips and occasionally pulling a small trailer with a snowmobile. Anyway I crawled under and the bearing support looks different than all the other pics I've seen. It looks to be much smaller and the large bracket with 6 bolts is there but there's no bearing support between it and the chassis. The rubber bushing looks to be almost new or is original and exhibiting few if any signs of age. Everything looks good and feels solid. My original plan was to preemptively do the Jimi fix but now I'm not so sure after checking things out. Did VW change this arrangement for 2012?
The pic shows the bearing bracket with View attachment 233610 it's two torx bolts.
Those are not Torx head screws. It's called triple square and is a special bit.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I can't answer your other question since I have not looked under an '11 and newer Treg to see what the drive shaft looks like. Could be different since those don't have a transfer case like the previous gens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No prob. It looks significantly different than the other pics from the posts of older Touaregs. Looks easier to deal with so hopefully but has the reliability/longevity changed?
Hopefully someone will chime in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i tried to delete my multiple posts above but thanks TommiT for the response, that's the info i was looking for. seems logical that VW recognized the issue and changed the design unlike the HPFP.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just to be clear, HPFP wasn't a problem in the Generation 1 cars and the change in the transmission design is more down to decontenting the Gen 2 vehicles to make them a lot lighter and cheaper to manufacture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts