Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my teen totaled our 2004 XC-90 we bought a 2012 Treg VR6 Lux; it has factory Nav, leather, pano sunroof, etc. Nice. We sorted needed a new car anyway, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I'll need to add towing stuff and I mostly know what to do there. OEM hitch, OEM wiring package, and some magic under the dashboard.

One thing I haven't found yet is an honest trip computer. What I'm looking for is instantaneous MPG and cumulative MPG. Does the Treg have an MPG readout somewhere?

Where is the Nav database stored? My bimmer stores the database on a DVD. To update the database, insert a new DVD. How is that implemented on the Treg?

The car appears to have a large hard disk for music; we can query the system and see that the hard disk is empty. We have been unable to copy music files from a CD to the disk. We suspect that the CD's are copy-protected and that the VW system won't violate that. What then is the point of the hard disk?

I have a set of Audi roof bars - they appear to be about 2cm too wide for the Treg. Anybody have experience there? Sell the Audi bars and buy Treg bars, or adapt the Audi bars to work on the Treg?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
After my teen totaled our 2004 XC-90 we bought a 2012 Treg VR6 Lux; it has factory Nav, leather, pano sunroof, etc. Nice. We sorted needed a new car anyway, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I'll need to add towing stuff and I mostly know what to do there. OEM hitch, OEM wiring package, and some magic under the dashboard.

One thing I haven't found yet is an honest trip computer. What I'm looking for is instantaneous MPG and cumulative MPG. Does the Treg have an MPG readout somewhere?

Where is the Nav database stored? My bimmer stores the database on a DVD. To update the database, insert a new DVD. How is that implemented on the Treg?

The car appears to have a large hard disk for music; we can query the system and see that the hard disk is empty. We have been unable to copy music files from a CD to the disk. We suspect that the CD's are copy-protected and that the VW system won't violate that. What then is the point of the hard disk?

I have a set of Audi roof bars - they appear to be about 2cm too wide for the Treg. Anybody have experience there? Sell the Audi bars and buy Treg bars, or adapt the Audi bars to work on the Treg?

Thanks!
MPG readouts on all trip computers seem to be inaccurate, but varying amounts according to brand but inaccurate nevertheless.

ScanGauge II will plug into the OBD port and can be calibrated against your brim-to-brim figures - it also has a host of other functions.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I might be able to help with two of your questions...at least this is how my 2007 and 2008 are: Yes MPG (current and average (both trip and aggregate)) are available by scrolling through the instant readout options. Other options include miles to empty, miles driven, time, compass, date and time and so on...even instant tire pressure readouts. I wish I could tell you the menu name, but I can't remember there are so many and I have to fiddle with mine every time to find it.
Navigation (on mine at least) is DVD based, DVD is stored in its case in the glove box on top shelf (feel around for it on the top and you will find it).

Hope these things are the same with yours, if not I guess I will find out.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
A few answers, hope they help:
-Nav database info is stored on the hard drive. There are map updates available through Navteq. They are ridiculously expensive but they are there.

- To load your music onto the hard drive you first need to load your music onto an SD card. Use the SD slots found in the glovebox DVD/SD unit

-Average/instant etc. MPG is available in the vehicle menu in between the gauges, scroll through and you'll find all the functions.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The trip computer is accessed through the Vehicle menu in your gauges (use the Left / Right on the pad on the right side of your steering wheel to scroll between Vehicle, Audio, Navigation, and one other that I forget right now). Once you are in the Vehicle menu use the Up/Down buttons of that same pad to scroll through the various available metrics.

Underneath that little pad is another button, pressing that allows you to chose between Tire Pressure (via TPMS), and then select your "View" - Since Startup, Since Refuel, Long-Term, and other other one I think.

Basically, it's all done on the right side of your steering wheel.

The left side pad is all audio controls. Up/Down is volume, left/right is station presets, tracks, etc depending on your source (Radio / Sat Radio / Bluetooth / MDI / Media / etc).

Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At last we found the MPG readout and several others! On the right side of the steering wheel are 6 buttons: left, up, right, down, OK and "list". "List" is the button below "down."

Press "right" or "left" to get the menu between speedometer and tach. Press "right" or "left" until "Vehicle" is highlighted.

Press "list" and then use "up" and "down" to get to "...since fillup" (or some such). Press OK.

Now press "up" or "down" to cycle through different measures such as miles to empty, MPG, miles since fill up, etc.

The good news is that our 2004 Volvo XC-90 got about 11 MPG around town, and we're seeing 16.5 MPG with the 2012 Treg VR6. Time will tell if that's accurate.

Despite all the heat that BMW took for "iDrive", I find it way more intuitive and requiring less brain power than does the VW interface. But, I've been driving the BMW for 6 years and the Treg is new, so perhaps with experience I'll have a different opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts