Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I read the threads and I'm more confused than before. I recently purchased an 05 V8 Treg. I am new to VW so I'm not sure how / where the trailer harness is supposed to hook up.
When I purchased the Treg I saw the hitch and just assumed it had a wiring harness. After looking everywhere for it I don't think it has one.

I want to tow a small boat trailer so a regular 4 pin connector is all I need.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Attached are photos of my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2012 VR6 and will tow a 3200lb Trail Manor 3124 trailer. Should be no sweat.

I installed an OEM hitch and an OEM wiring harness. On my 2012 it couldn't have been easier. The harness plugged in to a reserved slot inside the back quarter panel and had color-matched connectors to help avoid errors. It terminates in a standard RV 7-pin connector and routes through a water-tight plug and along the bottom of the hitch cross-beam. You can buy a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter to cover both cases. You shouldn't need a brake controller; worst-case your trailer will have surge brakes.

The only issue I had was that it doesn't light the trailer brake lights - it's fine with all other lights: turns, 4-ways, running, but not brake lights. I understand that this is a "coding" issue. Apparently you have to tell the car's computer that it's in N. America or else you don't get brake lights.

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey megajig did you figure this out. I have just bought a 2011 Touareg and see the hitch but have not looked for the wiring yet. I may have to buy a section of harness from VW.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts