Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.
I'm a n00b. 2005 Touareg just purchased. It was an auction car and now I'm working to put it into working order.

I open the back hatch to find a flat tire! : )
Apparently there's supposed to be a compressor - I don't have one, and there's nothing in the rear compartments. Nothing in the left, and nothing in the right marked for first aid.
A. Where's the best place to purchase one? I found a used one on ebay for $170. It appears to be the only one currently available.
B. Any recommendations on something else that would work well?

I also couldn't find a wrench the right size to even take the tire out. There's a bolt holding the flat tire down, close to the license plate. There was no wrench that size with the other tire gear, just to the right of the tire / on top of the jack.
C. Anywhere else I should look?

I know I'll have more Q's. TIA!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH, and I don't have any manuals. So, can someone point me to a description of what the ESP button does?
I assume, from reading the forums, that it's traction control related.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Pretty sure a generic 12v air pump will work for you. It should have jumpers for battery terminals and not some lighter socket job. Jump or battery terminals are in engine and are clearly marked (positive covered by red flip cover).

ESP stands for electronic stability program. It uses brake vectoring to correct a vehicle that is about to loose control during panic over correction, rollover, and the like. It will produce understeer in cornering and will save your butt in the snow. Always leave it on. Unless: Offroading. In offroad situations the ESP will kill throttle and bring you to a stall. The trick to getting out of a stuck situation or getting traction is: 1) turn off ESP 2) Select low range then lock center differential, 3) using tip tropic (from drive move lever to the right which allows you to shift manually) and select 1st gear (this is actually L1), and 4) Keep in the throttle. The Treg uses open front (and most) open rear differentials...the throttle is used to induce wheel spin which is then braked with the spinning wheels brakes transferring power to the wheel with traction. This is called EDL or electronic differential lock and it works very, very well if you know how to use it.

In any event welcome to CT!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Your post doesn't say what motor but if V 8: Should also add you must ensure timing belt and water pump have been done or replace now. If belt snaps engine will be toast.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Pretty sure a generic 12v air pump will work for you. It should have jumpers for battery terminals and not some lighter socket job. Jump or battery terminals are in engine and are clearly marked (positive covered by red flip cover).

ESP stands for electronic stability program. It uses brake vectoring to correct a vehicle that is about to loose control during panic over correction, rollover, and the like. It will produce understeer in cornering and will save your butt in the snow. Always leave it on. Unless: Offroading. In offroad situations the ESP will kill throttle and bring you to a stall. The trick to getting out of a stuck situation or getting traction is: 1) turn off ESP 2) Select low range then lock center differential, 3) using tip tropic (from drive move lever to the right which allows you to shift manually) and select 1st gear (this is actually L1), and 4) Keep in the throttle. The Treg uses open front (and most) open rear differentials...the throttle is used to induce wheel spin which is then braked with the spinning wheels brakes transferring power to the wheel with traction. This is called EDL or electronic differential lock and it works very, very well if you know how to use it.

ebay for a manual.

As above, do not use anything other than the terminals under the bonnet/hood for blowing up the space-saver spare. You may burn out wiring if you do.

There are lots of generic compressors but you need one with a good output and run time to inflate that tyre/tire

Read the buying a used Touareg thread - the link is in my signature below. You will learn a lot and know what problems to expect and - possibly - how to save money too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Your post doesn't say what motor but if V 8: Should also add you must ensure timing belt and water pump have been done or replace now. If belt snaps engine will be toast.
Thank you!

noobytoogy said:
ebay for a manual.
As above, do not use anything other than the terminals under the bonnet/hood for blowing up the space-saver spare. You may burn out wiring if you do.
There are lots of generic compressors but you need one with a good output and run time to inflate that tyre/tire
Read the buying a used Touareg thread - the link is in my signature below. You will learn a lot and know what problems to expect and - possibly - how to save money too.
Thank you too!

·
Registered
561 Posts
There should be a cap at the center of the spare tire which is also used to unscrew the bolt (check the bottom side of it) that holds the spare in place.

Also if you have air suspension, under the rear driver seat, there is a compressor hose and under the front passenger seat, you will find a small plastic piece near the center console right next to the drawer. pull it out and you will find the compressor outlet. While the car is running, you can use the hose and the compressor outlet to inflate tires.

Hey.
I'm a n00b. 2005 Touareg just purchased. It was an auction car and now I'm working to put it into working order.

I open the back hatch to find a flat tire! : )
Apparently there's supposed to be a compressor - I don't have one, and there's nothing in the rear compartments. Nothing in the left, and nothing in the right marked for first aid.
A. Where's the best place to purchase one? I found a used one on ebay for $170. It appears to be the only one currently available.
B. Any recommendations on something else that would work well?

I also couldn't find a wrench the right size to even take the tire out. There's a bolt holding the flat tire down, close to the license plate. There was no wrench that size with the other tire gear, just to the right of the tire / on top of the jack.
C. Anywhere else I should look?

I know I'll have more Q's. TIA!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!
I'll look again for a 'cap,' but haven't found anything like that so far.

I have the V6 - not the air suspension. So, I'll have to get a compressor, "with the ability to connect to the terminals and has proper output." Not sure what that means, but will dig in.

Have been bummed trying to get another key for it. Seems my only option is to go to a dealer. Even Pop-a-lock was as much as a dealer. :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
That thing in red circle is what you are looking for, and you can use it to unscrew that bolt.

Thanks!
I'll look again for a 'cap,' but haven't found anything like that so far.

I have the V6 - not the air suspension. So, I'll have to get a compressor, "with the ability to connect to the terminals and has proper output." Not sure what that means, but will dig in.

Have been bummed trying to get another key for it. Seems my only option is to go to a dealer. Even Pop-a-lock was as much as a dealer. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you got all the other bits too including something I can't see in the above photo, the immensely important wire thingummy with a hook on it for pulling off the plastic covers that cover the wheel lugs. If you have a flat then without that you're foooked!

There should also be a couple of black painted, folding steel wheel chocks.

And you won't be able to change your headlight bulbs if you don't have the special tool just to the left of the wheel brace in the picture.

And you have got the locking lug socket, haven't you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts