Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2016 Touareg Exec with the plans to pull a travel trailer. The 2 trailers we have narrowed down to are an Oliver Elite II or Airstream 25'. The Oliver is narrower shorter and a bit more ground clearance. I like this because we want to do a fair amount of bushwhacking. Fully loaded at 6500. The airstream has more inside room, and nice and bright with the windows. Comfortable, but lower and wider.

I would like to connect with those who trailer with similar size trailers. I will spend time going thru the posts and see what is there already. I was a little concerned about towing with this vehicle vs a truck, but since this is our only vehicle, it is a great travel vehicle, comfortable, and safe. Besides, my wife did not like climbing up into a truck alt time to go to the grocery.

Ed

·
Registered
83 Posts
And it is the gas version V6
We purchased a 2016 Touareg Exec with the plans to pull a travel trailer. The 2 trailers we have narrowed down to are an Oliver Elite II or Airstream 25'. The Oliver is narrower shorter and a bit more ground clearance. I like this because we want to do a fair amount of bushwhacking. Fully loaded at 6500. The airstream has more inside room, and nice and bright with the windows. Comfortable, but lower and wider.

I would like to connect with those who trailer with similar size trailers. I will spend time going thru the posts and see what is there already. I was a little concerned about towing with this vehicle vs a truck, but since this is our only vehicle, it is a great travel vehicle, comfortable, and safe. Besides, my wife did not like climbing up into a truck alt time to go to the grocery.

Ed
Hi - I have a 2014 TDI and tow a 27FB Airstream - over 30,000 KMs towing to date including multiple mountain trips. Love the combination. I have some hitch work done by CanAm RV in London Ontario. It now tows like a dream.

I chose the 27FB over the 25 foot Airstream as the hitch weight is considerably lighter. I also switched out the 30 pound steel propane tanks for 2 twenty pound aluminum which again lowered the hitch weight. Recently replaced the 2 lead acid batteries with 2 lithium 100 amp units. Hope that helps - feel free to PM me - Mike Boucher

·
Registered
277 Posts
I tow a 7klb 20ft tandem axle toy hauler w/my 3.0L TDI, and to sound like a broken record.. it tows like a dream..

IMG_20180624_175342 (3).jpg

Mine is a pure boondocking/dispersed camping rig, its always going off road.. its only seen a couple actual campsites..

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I retired from the US Forest Service, and am planning to “reconnect “. With my grandsons. 25’ is probably the max length but will check it out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My thoughts is that the gas model will tow ok, but the TDI would be head and shoulders better.
All of the Touareg are rated to tow about 7700 lbs, but it is hard to beat the torque of the Diesel.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The next time I trade, I will look for a Diesel, but they are pretty scarce in the US. I may have to live with the gas model.

By the way, I was looking at the Manual yesterday, it seemed to discourage use of any trailer weight distrobution modification. I was considering using a Hensley tow system, but may not need it. Have any of you trailered with or without one?

e

·
Registered
277 Posts
These hitches are not designed for Weight Distribution, thats what the CanAm modification is built to add structure to the receiver so the leverage stresses wont break the hitch clean off.

Never had any WD on mine, never had any desire for it or any anti-sway either.. but I'm on Air Bags so YMMV.. You absolutely cannot use it when traversing uneven terrain, something will break.. either your tow vehicle or your trailer.. Ive seen em taco a trailer tongue like it was a piece of paper.

Diesel is definitely the preferred power plant for towing, but the VR6 will do it fine.. they are not that scarce, theres tens of thousands of em getting repaired and trickled back onto lots.. they are just doing it slowly as not to tank the entire market.

Given your 2 choices of trailer, I'd be getting the Oliver.. Air Streams are cool and all but they are heavy and going to be severely limited by the terrain they can traverse with that low ride and with so much hanging past the rear axle.. that tube shape makes fixed solar panels look funky and id rather have a flat roof I could walk on honestly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use a weight distributing hitch with my trailer. The spec sheet calls the pin weight for normal hits at about 700 lbs and the weight for WDH at 1100 lbs.
I prefer the WDH as it helps with the bobbing over some roads. Proper setup is necessary with whatever you use.
My Treg is a 2012 TDI Exec and it tows my heavy 16' Scamp like it is not there. Larger trailers would make some difference, but I would use the WDH. For the Scamp the problem is finding a light duty hitch. Easier to find for larger trailers. Can AM in Canada modifies the setup on the car with a steel bar to the differential mounting to stiffen up the car, but I have looked at the steel in the "bumper" and it may not need it for smaller trailers, it at all.
The modifications seem to be a little overkill to me and I have not noticed any problems, but then I tow less than 3000 lbs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Towing rating for my 2012 Touareg TDI are as follows (from the VIN specifications sheet)
Dead weight hitch maximum weight - 5000 lbs
Dead Weight max tongue weight - 500 lbs
Weight distributing hitch max weight 7700 lbs
Weight distributing hitch maximum tongue weight 1155 lbs.
Not only do the specs not rule out weight distributing hitch it is required over 5000 lbs and to reach the maximum ratings.
Even most trucks cannot tow more than 5000 lbs dead weight and must use a Weight Distributing hitch to meet their max ratings.
The larger trucks may not have the 5000 dead weight limit, but most do.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Whats the user manual say? Mine says No WD hitch.. 5klb limit for aftermarket hitch and max tow capacity requires factory tow package.. I know earlier manuals did not mention this but fundamentally nothing changed in the hitch design and this warning was slipped into later manuals, Ive got the exact same hitch and attachment points as a Touareg.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 4.12.00 PM.png

CanAm's modifications are necessary AFIK if you want to tow at the rated limits w/WD setup.. just look at the hitch design and how its mounted, this is not a frame rail truck.. its a unibody SUV, it does not look to me to be designed for WD, and in Europe nobody ever uses WD so I find it odd that VW would have seperate ratings for WD hitches.

·
Registered
277 Posts
VIN Decoder from some forum over-rides your user manual by VW that is in your glove box? Those VIN decoders are total ****ing nonsense and they are more often got incorrect information than they do have correct information.

Here's a PDF version of the user manual in your glove box from a VW Touareg: Download 2014 Volkswagen Touareg - Owner's Manual PDF (620 Pages)

On page 156, you will find this.. can you read it?
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 6.10.55 PM.png

Never install a “weight distributing” or “load equalizing” trailer hitch on your vehicle. The vehicle was not designed for these kinds of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch attachment can fail, causing the trailer to tear loose from the vehicle.
I will trust the data published directly by Volkswagen/Audi way before I put any weight into "Volkswagen Forums VIN Decoder" nonsense.

later on in the manual it lists the capacity limits, notice it says nothing at all like what your VIN Decoder says:
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 6.23.26 PM.png

·
Registered
222 Posts
The VIN ratings are the approved ratings for the vehicle and are the document used by the DOT etc to determine the ratings.
The owners manual is written for an entire range of vehicles and the VIN data takes precedence as that is the approval data used by the DOT.
If you choose to not follow the VIN ratings for this specific vehicle that is your choice.
The dead weight load rating is the rating for towing with a straight ball and no other equipment. Towed rating is the rating with the weight carrying hitch that can shift part of the weight to the front suspension of the vehicle.
VW is notoriously towing adverse in this country.
Personally I tow well below the ratings for either dead weight or towed weight and the WDH makes the ride much more comfortable and most likely safer as well. The actual DOT rating for my Touareg is a maximum of 5000 lbs dead weight, the owner's manual not withstanding. Checking the axle ratings and the tongue weights will probably show why. The actual DOT rating is 7700 lbs with the weight distributing hitch
But if you are uncomfortable with the WDH then don't use one and no one else who is adverse should use one either.
Westfalia, the manufacturer of the OEM hitch has a rating of 7700 lbs for dead weight and weight distributing with tongue weight limit of 616 lbs. With the weight distributing load added the load on the hitch is 1155 lbs shifting weight to the front axles (and the trailer axle as well). This is a torsion load and not dead weight per se.
Many trucks list trailer ratings which are not correct for any particular vehicle and often (read most of the time) require additional equipment (read WDH) to meet. You will find the famous * after the listed ratings. The VIN data takes precedent over the owner's manual as far as I know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The owner's manual is written for that vehicle specifically, and only that vehicle.. heck you can go to VW's website, put in your VIN number and it'll give you a manual specific to exactly your vehicle w/all configured options and none of the stuff not relevant to your configuration.. Audi did it for mine, its kinda aggravating cuz I want the manual for the parking heater I'm retrofitting but it wont give it to me unless I find a VIN for one that had it.

Theres no such thing as "VIN Ratings" your just making stuff up at this point, this is the data contained in your VIN: 10 Vehicle Details You Should Expect from a VIN Decoder

It has no idea what options or limits or anything else, any information beyond those 10 things they are looking up vehicle information from their own database populated with generic car information that is most certainly not from DOT sources, and whatever source it is is wrong.. just because you use your VIN does not mean a VIN decoder is using DOT info, wow thats a huge leap even for the most gullible.. whatever you do dont search 5G + Corona virus.

Do not trust everything you read off the internet, you have offical documentation from your manufacturer in hand, it was provided with the vehicle.. you should consult that before you put so much weight into some home work assignment a kid made for coding class and put it on his VW site.. I could whip up a VIN decoder site in 20mins that works just as well as any of the ones you'll find using google.

All the lawyers and DOT bureaucrats are going to care what the Manufacturer published limitations, not what some VIN Decoder website states.. so far you have not provided any documentation either from the US DOT or Volkswagen of America stating that "VIN Ratings" are different than what the published, advertised, and sold ratings are like you believe.

VW is also not towing adverse, its just that in Europe they have maximum speed limits when towing that are dramatically lower than North America, this changes the tongue weight % calculations enough to push most vehicles off the towing capabilities.. you go try to take a trailer with 5% on the tounge 75-85mph on the interstate and let me know how it went after you changed your pants, you'll be fine up to 50-60mph but beyond that there's more energy in your trailer than you have the ability to control..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Download the build sheet for your car and you will see the ratings as accepted by DOT.
You can ask your dealer to download one for you.
That will be the official specifications.
Somewhere I have the one I downloaded from VW when I bought the car, but damned if I can find it.
However if you believe that you are limited in towing then that is what you should do.
However towing over 5000 lbs is not in the cards for that as the rear axle limits will be exceeded.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had the original build sheet for my vehicle, it matched what the user manual stated.. was the only way to properly identify mine had tow package fitted at factory and not at port or later which would had reduced my towing capabilities... AFIK the only way to get that original build sheet is from the dealer, have someone working at dealer pull it for you or paying a 3rd party for it.. no free VIN decoder will give you that.. if they did then finding my unicorn w/factory air suspension woulda been soo much easier than scouring photos looking for a single button in the hatch area because looking up build sheets woulda been cost prohibitive.. there is nothing in the VIN at all telling what my vehicle was built with, only VAG's database has that and they charge for access.

Lets see, I've provided official documentation from your vehicle manufacturer that just about any simplistic google search will agree with, and you've got some paperwork you cant seem to find anymore and a bogus VIN decoder from a 3rd party that does not agree with any other information readily available on the internet... You've got quite a hill to climb to provide evidence for your claims, Ive satisfied all the claims I have made in this thread with actual references from reputable sources.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been towing with touaregs for 6 years with WD hitch. I use the blue ox sway pro setup. Seen pics of the canam butcher job. No thanks. I have yet to hear of a hitch being tore off these machines.
20190727_084456.jpg

1 - 20 of 51 Posts