Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 TDI Sport w/ Nav
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Like it says up there, I’m familiar with VW. Got an 87 Cabby as my first car 10 years ago. Replaced that with an 84 Rabbit Convertible after it was totaled 7 years ago. My mom has a 17 Golf, and my brother has had an 04 Golf and now a 16 Tiguan for his girlfriend.

buuuut, I bought a 2012 TDI Sport w/ Nav on Friday to replace my Outback. I love it so far. Drove it 300 miles last weekend for a horse show as well. Are there any little quirks I need to know about? Like weird things it came with? I didn’t notice the fog lights until I’d owned it for like three days (my OB has them. I just assumed this one didn’t)

I also learned it has an auto dimming mirror as well as it’s wired for a reverse camera through here while trying to figure out comfort windows. (Have a friend with VAGCOM. Will get those set up soon)

Wheel Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,473 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Congrats on your purchase. Looks good.
As far as quirks there's usually a member on here that has the goods on buying different generation of Tregs and all the ins/outs of them. I'm sure they will contribute soon.
The most I've been able to ascertain on the TDI's is to make sure to take them out on highway runs for 1/2 hour or more to prevent problems with the engine.
My one recommendation would be to get your own VAGCOM/VCDS cable. It's an investment you'll be glad you made.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I agree that these cars need exercise on a regular basis. I would also get familiar with the "ad blue" fluid additions when needed. You will get plenty of warning ,but I was on a long trip with 1000 mi warning and couldn't make it to end the trip without adding fluid. You will want a funnel that fits the tank under spare wheel. VW does have quart size bottles,but you need at least 3 to stop the warning. These fit the tank. It was a 1st time in 10yrs ownership. Good luck these are great cars.

·
Registered
2012 TDI Sport w/ Nav
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Congrats on your purchase. Looks good.
As far as quirks there's usually a member on here that has the goods on buying different generation of Tregs and all the ins/outs of them. I'm sure they will contribute soon.
The most I've been able to ascertain on the TDI's is to make sure to take them out on highway runs for 1/2 hour or more to prevent problems with the engine.
My one recommendation would be to get your own VAGCOM/VCDS cable. It's an investment you'll be glad you made.

I don't drive a lot, but once or twice a month we do meet up for a local VW group. It's normally about a 20-30 minute drive for those. And one of they guys there does have a VAGCOM cable in the mean time .We all just kinda pass it around when needed, but I do want to get my own at some point.

I agree that these cars need exercise on a regular basis. I would also get familiar with the "ad blue" fluid additions when needed. You will get plenty of warning ,but I was on a long trip with 1000 mi warning and couldn't make it to end the trip without adding fluid. You will want a funnel that fits the tank under spare wheel. VW does have quart size bottles,but you need at least 3 to stop the warning. These fit the tank. It was a 1st time in 10yrs ownership. Good luck these are great cars.
I'm vaguely familiar with DEF at least. Used to sell it as well as work at a shop. There is a funnel in with the spare tire that isn't the diesel adapter, so I'm assuming that's what it's for. The DEF was topped up less than 500 miles ago, I believe, and I do have unfettered access at work to as much as I want.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack (GFG/6MT)
10 Posts
If you “don’t drive a lot” a TDI may not have been a fantastic choice. TDIs are meant to be driven, and they are meant to be driven on the highway. Not just around town.

·
Registered
2012 TDI Sport w/ Nav
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you “don’t drive a lot” a TDI may not have been a fantastic choice. TDIs are meant to be driven, and they are meant to be driven on the highway. Not just around town.
I guess I should specify by not “driving much” I drive about 20 miles a day during the week, but twice a month I meet up with groups and multiple times a year I’m driving out of town for shows, and I purchased this to possibly pull the other VW.

I know plenty of people with diesels that are for mostly in town driving that haven’t had any issues. I know VWs are a little different, but still, with proper maintenance and occasional longer drives they do fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts