Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm very close to negotiating for a 2012 TDI Exec - and I have a couple questions that I don't entirely trust the dealer to answer for me :) Thought perhaps people here can help - I've looked, but not thus far located definitive answers.

1. The rear-view/backup camera
The dealer said that they "don't have that any more because of the Tsunami". My friend bought a Touareg TDI sport '11 recently and got the camera - they said it's part of the options on the "limited" model. Is that true for 2011, but not for 2012?

2. Lux vs Exec
From what I can tell the biggest add is the Dynaudio sound system, plus the 20' wheels (if that's important to one). Then the heated rear seats (minor). Are there any other *big* upgrades?

3. Tow "package" & Bike racks
I know/see that the tow hitch comes as an add-on - but my '11 friend said something about the tow package including racks for bikes. but my bike friends all say you need to buy something anyway afterward. Anyone know specifics of if there is anything other than the tow hitch (i.e. specific about the roof rack) I should be looking for.

4. Negotiating
I've seen people mention "throw in the monster mats" - but haven't seen too many other things to negotiate for (other than price going lower). Has anyone negotiated for extension of the warranty, or other misc items? If I'm missing any threads (didn't find them here - but definitely saw in some of the jetta tdi forums) about list price and how to negotiate that'd be awesome of course.

Appreciate all of the other "check this before taking the car off the lot" threads - I'm going through them and making a list.

Cheers,
-J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Conflicting info on the camera

Looks like a lot of info saying "no - no cameras for 2012"
Limited Supplies Force VW to Cancel Backup Cameras on Some Models - KickingTires

But then a post in December 2011 (here) saying:
They started producing them approx 6 weeks ago. The are now ordered under a different model code to differe3nciate the Touareg w/the backup and Touareg w/ out!

And of course other threads saying some ppl prefer camera, some sonar.
Hmm - be interesting to see if there is some verification of the "producing 6 weeks ago" post - anyone bought a Treg after Oct 2011 and get a camera?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More conflicting camera info...

VWVortex.com - Back up camera

So someone says:
"I was told the Touaregs that have a production date after week 45 will have the back up camera. I was also told the Touaregs built before week 45 do not have the wiring to the retro fit"

But then quite a few people say they can't find any with cameras at their local dealerships.

·
Registered
399 Posts
1. The rear-view/backup camera
The dealer said that they "don't have that any more because of the Tsunami". My friend bought a Touareg TDI sport '11 recently and got the camera - they said it's part of the options on the "limited" model. Is that true for 2011, but not for 2012?

I have heard the same from other sources. It is for this reason (tsunami which affected Summer 2012 production) that the 2012 Lux lacks the rear-view camera and sound sensors were substituted. The little inventory VW had on the Japanese-manufactured cameras were left for the 2012 Executive.

2. Lux vs Exec
From what I can tell the biggest add is the Dynaudio sound system, plus the 20' wheels (if that's important to one). Then the heated rear seats (minor). Are there any other *big* upgrades?

The push-button start and keyless entry, if that's important to you, as well as the back-up camera, also appear on the Executive. For me, personally, I decided not to spend the extra $5K for the Dynaudio stereo, slightly larger wheels (and, therefore, more expensive tires come replacement time), the heated rear seats (live in Florida), keyless entry and push-start ignition (I like turning the key), and the back-up camera (never had a back-up camera so no big deal to me). The only thing I don't like about the Lux is the stock stereo, which -- if you like your music loud -- is a big disappointment in a $51K car. I will probably shell out another $2K in the near future to upgrade the stereo. If the stereo is that important to you, and you think the other add-ons are important to you, then spend the extra $5K and go with the Executive.

I know/see that the tow hitch comes as an add-on - but my '11 friend said something about the tow package including racks for bikes. but my bike friends all say you need to buy something anyway afterward. Anyone know specifics of if there is anything other than the tow hitch (i.e. specific about the roof rack) I should be looking for.

The Lux and Executive all come with tow package. There is no bike rack that I'm aware of. You just go to a bike shop, and buy a rack that mounts on a tow-hitch. Today I EASILY loaded, with room to spare, my road bike by putting the rear seats down. No problem.

4. Negotiating
I've seen people mention "throw in the monster mats" - but haven't seen too many other things to negotiate for (other than price going lower). Has anyone negotiated for extension of the warranty, or other misc items? If I'm missing any threads (didn't find them here - but definitely saw in some of the jetta tdi forums) about list price and how to negotiate that'd be awesome of course.

I defer to others on whether a warranty can be extended.
Last, check out myturbodiesel.com - VW TDI forum, Audi TDI forum, DIY, FAQ, and buying guides. There is an outstanding discussion about the features of the 2011 and 2012 VW TReg TDI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for the link
I read through the article and learned a lot about the Touaregs...

I suppose it makes #2 clear (difference between models), but not much info on the camera & rack situation.

Ah well - I'll keep searching & post here if I find something.
Thanks,
-J

·
Registered
96 Posts
Whether a warranty can be extended I think is up to the dealer. I bought an 04 V10 with 25696 miles and was successful in getting the dealer to include a VW extended warranty for 6 years and 72000 miles (from my purchase date/mileage). Perhaps the condition of the vehicle has something to do with it. Seems hit or miss in other instances as my wife's BMW can only seem to get offers for aftermarket extended warranties as her car's BMW service plan is about to expire.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Thanks for the link

I suppose it makes #2 clear (difference between models), but not much info on the camera & rack situation.

Thanks,
-J
The camera may be there if you are ordering it now for later delivery. If you are just getting off the lot it may not have it. It is easy to tell if it has one or not. Just either get in an put it in reverse and watch the dash or if you can't drive it just walk behind it and look above the license plate area near the hatch release handle. You should visibly be able to see it. The bike rack will require a set of cross bars if you are utilizing the roof rack. They are not included and a seperate purchase. If you want to do a hitch mounted bike rack then the obvious on that would be is you need the hitch to already be installed.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the link

Thanks,
-J
By the way, with the exception of the stock stereo on the Lux, I'm very happy with the car. You're going to really enjoy it. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2. Lux vs Exec
-J
A lot of guys have complained about the quality of the sound system -

You first have to ask what *sources* they are listening too. Satellite radio is highly compressed and sounds terrible on even the best sound system, IMO. It has weird phase effects and distortions, limited bandwidth, and is bright sounding as well.

I have gotten *Excellent* sound using my ipod with the mdi interface connector using uncompressed audio files. mp3 files on your ipod suffer from lack of midrange and bass weight. Higher quality files WILL SOUND BETTER.

I own a high end audio store and design home stereo systems for a living, so do know what i speak of. If I could use a Turntable in the car I would.

Anyway, your can maximize the sound quality of the system by using higher quality audio sources, and you may be fine without the dynaudio system. It *is* better, but the premium you pay may not be worth it to you, depending on how you listen to music in your vehicle.

Personally, at some point I am going to upgrade my on board LUX system further. Knowing what the Dynaudio really costs, I would never pay that premium to have that installed.

Sirius sound quality is the bottom of the barrel for ANY system, IMO. Perhaps OK for a talk show, but that's about it.

-M

·
Registered
399 Posts
A lot of guys have complained about the quality of the sound system -

You first have to ask what *sources* they are listening too.
Sirius sound quality is the bottom of the barrel for ANY system, IMO. Perhaps OK for a talk show, but that's about it.-M
The CD and iPod feeds don't sound materially better. The problem is exacerbated as you turn the volume up in the mid to high ranges.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The CD and iPod feeds don't sound materially better. The problem is exacerbated as you turn the volume up in the mid to high ranges.
Well, I'm talking more in terms of the type of source material - mp3, lossless, aiff/wav sound very different - To maximize the sound quality, use the best source material. A pure CD or aiff/wav file (from an ipod of sd card) sound best. Sirius satellite is terrible.

But I haven't had any issue in my 2012 in turning up the volume like in the threads I have read. I have more bass/midrange presence than what the threads indicate.

The inside of a car is a volatile environment for music.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Sirius sound quality is the bottom of the barrel for ANY system, IMO. Perhaps OK for a talk show, but that's about it.

-M
I agree, Sirius is garbage...its all washed out and warbly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re:
2. Lux vs Exec

4. Negotiating

On the Lux vs Exec thing, I agree that the price difference might seem like a lot, but if you care about audio, and don't own a stereo shop, I'd seriously consider the Exec. If you see some of the threads here about trying to upgrade the Lux audio, you'll see that it can quickly cost even more than the difference to upgrade. I enjoy my music, and the Dynaudio is the best system I've ever heard in a car. Add in the 20's, which will cost you a pretty penny if you want to upgrade, and the heated seats, and steering wheel, and the cost difference is more than worth it in my opinion. I have 18's on mine right now for the winter, and the difference in handling is quite noticeable. I can't wait to get back to the 20's even if there is a mpg penalty. Sirius sound quality is indeed horrible, but I keep a subscription just to have some news channels available when traveling away from the city. Otherwise, it's not worth it if you care at all about sound quality.

Get the tow package if you can so you have the option of using a rear mounted bike rack. I used to use roof mounted racks for my bikes, but the Touareg is a lot higher than my old allroad, and I've found a rear mounted rack (I used a 1upusa) far superior for these types of vehicles, not to mention the reduced risk of overhead collision (speaking from experience there).

On negotiating: once you're sitting down in a dealers showroom you've already lost. Sorry to say it, but I believe that's true. It's tough when there aren't that many cars available, but the only way to smoke out deals is to negotiate via e-mail or fax with as many dealers as you can. You never know which dealer is one car away from a volume factory incentive and is willing to make a sacrifice sale. Either that, or just go to Chris at Langhorne as he usually offers deals that nobody will beat.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
ccrocket, your last paragraph is dead-on. I am buying a TDI Exec later this week...going an hour north in Milwaukee to get it. I used Chris Farnham's deal as my guide.

I really like the dealers I worked with here and wanted to purchase from either. One had it in stock in my color choice but I did not pull the trigger. I simply wasn't prepared and felt I could do better. It sold the following day. The other place said it would search for one since it had no Execs.

The guy Milwaukee was ready to deal. He hustled. All done on the phone. Hopefully everything goes as smoothly when I get there.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
You trading your 07 Fincher?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yes. I couldn't resist. I love my '07. Best VW I've had. It's going to be a bittersweet day. Going forward, I'm excited about the diesel.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Congrats fincher, you'll love the TDI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2012 tdi execuline camp white / saddle interior

:D yes the exec tdi is the only way to go, coming out of a 2011, $76k range rover supercharged sport i was a little worried, the lux pkg was just not enough car for me glad i waited for the exec...good luck

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks, guys. I will post pics, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for the info/advice. I got the exec - black w/ brown interior.
The dynaudio system was noticeably better (even on just a test drive), and as someone pointed out - last time I upgraded my sound system (A4) it ended up taking me a number of trips to the audio shop and cost more than anticipated.

Turns out the whole "mats, racks, etc" was moot - the car came w/ the mats, w/ the tow hitch and such.

Now I just have to figure out the "little stuff" - like how to pair 2 phones via bluetooth :)

Is it just me - or is the nav not-so-great (never had in-car nav before, but I'm not impressed).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts