Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first time Volkswagen owner (having owned Toyota Corollas and Camrys my whole life) in Mountain View, CA and I absolutely love my 2004 V8 Touareg. I'm 6'6" and love the space - not so much the gas mileage but it's totally worth it.

I've had Uma (my Treg's name) for a little more than a year now but have already completed a few modifications

- Replaced the Transfer Case (ok ok the dealer did it...)

- Replaced the OEM center support on the driveshaft bearing with the EPS Aftermarketsolution - this one was a lot of fun!

Upcoming plans I have for my sweet sweet ride:

- I just had the center shield (Floor Pan Heat Shield?) drop down and get torn up over a short stretch of highway, so that needs to be replaced. Looking at used options, deciding whether or not I need the NACA duct (looking at the naca-duct-in-undertray-21441 thread)

- Wheel VW logos have long since fallen off - looking for a replacement that can hold up

- Planning to upgrade the stereo to a touchscreen with Apple CarPlay & Satellite Radio

- There are still a few undiagnosed 'noises' that I can hear through the dashboard that sound like a pump creaking. Only happens sometimes, usually when it's cold. Also a higher pitched screeching that pops up once a week or so, usually while slowing down or fully stopped...still need to poke around a bit to understand.

Look forward to being part of the group!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Has the timing belt, etc., been done within the past 80,000 miles or 5 years?

If you don't know with 1,000% certainty then it needs doing ASAP. If it lets go your engine is toast.

The screech is probably your PCV. Use the Search function.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car at 47k miles, it's now around 58k so definitely wasn't done in the last 80k miles. However, the car is 12 years old and it appears VW USA only recommends 80k, whereas Europe suggests 80k or 5 years. This car lived in southern California for most of it's life so I'm assuming that heat tore all sorts of things up. I had a mechanic check the belt last year he said everything looked fine, but never hurts to take another look.

I'm looking at the PCV valve this weekend - that could be a culprit but also good to just get a sense of the Treg a little more...thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Visual inspection counts for nothing since you can only properly inspect the belt after removal!

From what you write, your belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat are probably at least 6 years overdue and you are on borrowed time.

You can check the date of manufacture on the belt. I'll see if I can find the thread on this.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thread!

The link you sent appears to reference the date code on the serpentine belt, not the timing belt. I just checked and my serpentine is dated 2014, so I'm good on that for now. I thought the location of the timing belt is much lower (/4-2l-v8-timing-belt-replacement-in-pictures-28800, I can't send links yet) and I can't see any of it easily to confirm the date.

I'll try and track it down - if I truly am on borrowed time it sounds like the perfect thing to do. I would think it's very likely that I am.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts