Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I've been a lurker here for about 2 years and wanted to say many thanks for the info I have gotten from your site. :D

My problem now is with my 2004 V8.

Production date: 02/04

Mileage is 73,426.

Bought used.

Oil Changed right around 70k.

My wife was driving it last night and she called me because the check engine light came on, when she got it home it had a rough low idle and the check enine light was on constant.

This morning I pulled it in the garage and started it up to see how it was running, its idling steady around 1k now still sounds rough but not as bad as it was last night, but the check engine light is now flashing.

From the searches I've done and the info I've seen on the site it sounds as if one or more of the ignition coils is going out or is bad, or possible needs new plugs? Or both?

I was going to have her take it to a shop and have them run the codes to make sure, I have a friend who is a VW tech and has heloped with previous work running codes via his laptop at home but he is about a 2 hour drive from me.

My questions for any who would so kind as to help are:

Is it safe to drive the 2 hour drive to have my friend run the codes for me or would it be wiser to just pay for a local dealer to run them?

Has anyone had similar happenings as far as the check engine light along with rough idle?

We bought this vehicle right around 50k miles and it now has 72k, I'm pretty sure it has the original coils in it, should I just go ahead and replace them? Or wait and verify it with a tech?

Thanks it advance :D

Stu.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you have the engine icon flashing, you should have "Exhaust Workshop"displayed in the MFI. Drive at a reduced speed and park it, as you risk damaging the catalytic converter ($$$).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the engine icon flashing, you should have "Exhaust Workshop"displayed in the MFI. Drive at a reduced speed and park it, as you risk damaging the catalytic converter ($$$).
Oh yeah its been parked since the light came on last night, and its not going anywhere until the problem is fixed or we have to take it to a tech.

Where in the MFI would it display this message? Nothing pops up immediately and I cylced through the available options. Is there a diagnostics mode you can get to with the Touaregs? I could pull one up on my old GLI by holding down a button and turning the key to accessory or something like that.

Damage to the cat would be from the excess fuel blowing by because of the bad coil right?

The Wife says that it has gotten horrible MPGs for the last few days, and the exhaust smells pretty rich.

From what I can tell all signs are pointing towards coils needing to be replaced.

Please correct me if anyone can think of something else it would be.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think your diagnosis of a bad coil/coils is probably spot on, particularly at your mileage. If it was me, I would replace all of the coil packs and add new spark plugs before even thinking about a dealer visit. If you have access to a VAG-COM, confirming the diagnosis would be icing on the cake.

The message, if it does indeed appear (the manual is occasionally wrong:p) should be in the middle portion of the MFI, below the icon: Exhaust Workshop! Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have only had myriads of tire pressure messages and nothing more serious.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think your diagnosis of a bad coil/coils is probably spot on, particularly at your mileage. If it was me, I would replace all of the coil packs and add new spark plugs before even thinking about a dealer visit. If you have access to a VAG-COM, confirming the diagnosis would be icing on the cake.
x2. I'd order the coils online and put them in. Also, plugs were due at 60k on the V8, were they done then?

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plugs have not been done yet either, looks like a good time to do both. Is there a recomended brand of plug most touareg drivers prefer? I always used Bosch in my other VW's. :D Thanks for help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the coils today from 1stVWparts.com, super fast since they came from Auburn WA and I'm in Portland OR. Picked up plugs from Discount Import parts in Tigard for $5.50 a plug. They are NGK brand, and I was pretty sure I read on here that others have used them with no problems.

So far all I've done is pull the coils out. I checked each one as it came out and 7 of the 8 smelled normal but one smelled ripe with fuel so I'm quite sure that was the culprit now.

Getting ready to pull the plugs and wouldn't ya know it, I cant find my angle head ratchet, figures. :mad: Off to hardware store.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
Even if it is not the coils they will go at some point.
So replace and see what happens. As said before do not drive the car till fixed.
It might take a day or two before the light clears on the dash, so if it runs right after new coils you should be fine. Mine went at 52k

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the coils today from 1stVWparts.com, super fast since they came from Auburn WA and I'm in Portland OR. Picked up plugs from Discount Import parts in Tigard for $5.50 a plug. They are NGK brand, and I was pretty sure I read on here that others have used them with no problems.

So far all I've done is pull the coils out. I checked each one as it came out and 7 of the 8 smelled normal but one smelled ripe with fuel so I'm quite sure that was the culprit now.

Getting ready to pull the plugs and wouldn't ya know it, I cant find my angle head ratchet, figures. :mad: Off to hardware store.
Stu - I'm in Portland/Tigard and I have a VAG-COM cable. Would be happy to pull and/or clear codes. PM me if you want to arrange something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts