Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Eagle LS tires from my Touareg R-Line 2014 are shot.

To drive to my new country house, I have a 3 miles road to take, which consists of small gravel and sand - occasionally some small rocks.

Looks like this road kind of slow chopped/chewed my Eagle LS tires.

What tires would you guy recommend for such roads for a Touareg? Note that I have 75 miles of highway before getting there, and I do that twice per week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi,

My Eagle LS tires from my Touareg R-Line 2014 are shot.

To drive to my new country house, I have a 3 miles road to take, which consists of small gravel and sand - occasionally some small rocks.

Looks like this road kind of slow chopped/chewed my Eagle LS tires.

What tires would you guy recommend for such roads for a Touareg? Note that I have 75 miles of highway before getting there, and I do that twice per week.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Continental TerrainContact. They also come in R19 size. If you don't need R19's, look for the LT 10 ply TerrainContacts. Amazon has a good price on them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As BIG as you can...ha ha No reason for wear but ground clearance, just looks good if you don't do serious off road though.

These are 265/70/R17 BF Goodrich All Terrian TA KO2s. Zero rub, very truck like ride...which I like.

Now go forth and fill those wheel wells up! 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'm looking at keeping my wheels, so 275 45 R20 tires are what I am looking for.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'm looking at keeping my wheels, so 275 45 R20 tires are what I am looking for.

Most tire choices in that range are going to be light ply tread, and side wall. And, will ultimately leave you in the same predicament.

I was happy with my Conti DWS. One of the best on road tires I’ve ever had the pleasure of running.

·
Registered
677 Posts
what tyre pressure were you running on bitumen and dirt?
did you reduce the pressures on the dirt section?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ragmna - I didn't change the pressure. I was running the recommend PSI on these tires.

I'll look for the Conti DWS.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ExtremeContact DWS are ON ROAD Highway tires - NOT OFF ROAD!

I drove through that stuff with 275/45-19 DWS aired down to about 20psi. They did just fine.

However, I wouldn’t recommend engaging sharp rocks, and such with 3 ply tread, and single ply sidewalls on a regular basis. Or, airing down all the time.

A few hundred miles a year aired down out on the sand beat the crap out of the shoulder of my DWS. Hence why I went with new rolling stock.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Beach sand isn't quite off-road in the true sense of the term.

I’m not talking about sand. I’m talking about driving through areas dense with sharp rocks, much like in the picture I posted.

And, although sand isn’t the craziest of mediums to be driving on. Being aired down on such a low profile tire will take a toll on the tire. Seven hundred miles of being aired down to 20psi, and the shoulders of my 275/45-19 DWS were beat all to hell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts