Club Touareg Forum banner

241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I have 2012 Touareg with 80,000 miles.
It has had SWS since 65,000 miles.

The latitude tires are low on tread and are near due for replacement but still.
They are worn evenly and are smooth until about 70mph then the sws kicks in and doesn't fade out until about 83 mph.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Yes, I have 2012 Touareg with 80,000 miles. It has had SWS since 65,000 miles. The latitude tires are low on tread and are near due for replacement but still. They are worn evenly and are smooth until about 70mph then the sws kicks in and doesn't fade out until about 83 mph.
Time to get new tires with proper balancing, etc. Have it done right and you should not have any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there going to be an issue if I put a different series Tire on there?
I want some All Terrains and I'm looking at the Goodyear Wranger Duratrec's or something similar.

I bought this Toureg to have a smooth ride with ability to do some wheeling. Not for grocery shopping.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Is there going to be an issue if I put a different series Tire on there? I want some All Terrains and I'm looking at the Goodyear Wranger Duratrec's or something similar.

I bought this Toureg to have a smooth ride with ability to do some wheeling. Not for grocery shopping.
Don't know. Others here who don't grocery shop might chime in. You can look at Tire Rack to see as well. Generally speaking, you should be fine but some tires are going to perform better than others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm refering to the SWS issue.

Am I going to have to keep the Michelin Latitudes on here to ensure I don't have SWS?

SWS is annoying and If I can't have All Terrains then this vehicle is useless.

I should of bought the Land Rover LR3, something that truly can off road with the best of the Rubicon's.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Yes, I know you mean SWS. I have Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires. Smooth as silk, quiet...no shake. 84k on the clock. The latitudes are great tires and pricey, too. I'm guessing those were on your ride when you bought it used. I think your shake is a result of worn tires. Also, I do not rotate. I cannot answer about off-roading...I don't off-road but if I did, I wouldn't be using this version of the Touareg. I would be driving something designed for it. My $0.02.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had the SWS for the last several months and had my local shop follow the TSB during a tire rotation. Smooth as silk now. Crazy how sensitive these things can be...

·
Registered
78 Posts
After doing the TSB, it certainly helped but the SWS came back slightly or still existed to a certain extent.

Due to my rotors causing a brake shimmy during the last few months, I finally replaced all 4 rotors and pads. This has completely removed the SWS felt around 70 - 75mph. There is no question my front rotors must have become slightly unbalanced as they have worn over the years.

Big shout out to Geoff @ Alretta for great customer service and all inclusive brake kit! For reference my T3 had 41k miles on the original setup and I found the front rotors worn well beyond the 2mm limits set by VW. Pads still had approx 1/3 of the life left on them - visual comparison to the new pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just picked up our Touareg after dropping her off this morning. Had them look at the steering wheel issue, which they verified was occurring at freeway speeds of 70+ mph. I gave them the TSB # but they said they couldn't find it in their system. They did however find a similar (identical?) one under 48 16 01.

Anyhow, they said the first step in the TSB is to do a road force balance, and of course they don't have a machine for that. So they want me to pay to take it somewhere else to have it balanced, and then bring it back if it still has the shakes. So I guess that's what we're doing next weekend.

Did get an oil change and AdBlue top off. They would *not* do it for free since their system didn't tell them to. I'll just have to fight with VW on that one. At least the oil change was reasonably priced...$135 for the oil and filter.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Did they remove the wheels and refit using the correct process and torquing to 133 ft lbs?

If not, why not? Would have taken them 15 minutes tops including driving the car on and off the lift.

I suggest you print off the TSB and give it to them next time, and ask to watch it being done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did they remove the wheels and refit using the correct process and torquing to 133 ft lbs?

If not, why not? Would have taken them 15 minutes tops including driving the car on and off the lift.

I suggest you print off the TSB and give it to them next time, and ask to watch it being done.
No. They wanted to go in order of the steps listed in the TSB, and the first step is a road force balance.

While they couldn't find the TSB referenced in the OP, they found one that looked identical, just off by one number.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I find it quite extraordinary that if they didn't have the Hunter wheel balance machine they didn't just re-fit and torque the wheels regardless since, for quite a few people, this fixes the problem anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I find it quite extraordinary that if they didn't have the Hunter wheel balance machine they didn't just re-fit and torque the wheels regardless since, for quite a few people, this fixes the problem anyway.
Not extraordinary at all for Southen California dealers. I've been to a half dozen of them trying to find a decent service department, and they're all garbage.

I imagine they would have, if I had offered to pay for it. But my vehicle is still under the new vehicle warranty, so I'd rather not pay for something if they're supposed to cover it. I'll just take it to a tire shop and have them balance the wheels, then bring it back to the dealer and let them have another go at it. At least the labor will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There are crap VW dealers all over the world I think!

May I suggest you print off the TSB and take it with you to the tire company that is going to road force balance your wheels?

You can then ask the fitter to kindly follow the TSB to the letter when he re-fits your front wheels as it may well save you a trip back to any one of those crap dealers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been reading this thread. Bought a new 2017. I see that the issue/this TSB is for 2011-2015 models. Forgive me, but what could have changed at the factory for the 2016-2017 models if it ended up being a wheel fitment and/or balance issue?

I ask because I notice a slight bumpiness at speeds between 60-70, but it varies, and it's only one, maybe two specific roads (main one being the HIDEOUS Dulles Toll Road). It is NOT felt in the steering wheel really though, and the steering is fine, alignment is good. Its felt more like in the seat bottom. Nothing at all drastic, but this thread got me curious. I'm thinking, if anything, one of the wheels could be not balanced perfectly. But not sure if I should stress about it or get the wheels balanced since it doesn't occur on every road. I am definitely the type to let little things with my cars cause me to lose sleep, so I don't want to start that cycle (too late?), haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI - at least one MY17 Touareg has this problem. They have road force balanced by tires and it did not help. But I have no idea of they mounted and installed the tires according to the latest TSB (same as old TSB but it added 2016 models to the list). I have a 2017. So I guess from 2011to 2017 there was no manufacturing or engineering change. Back to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
FYI - at least one MY17 Touareg has this problem. They have road force balanced by tires and it did not help. But I have no idea of they mounted and installed the tires according to the latest TSB (same as old TSB but it added 2016 models to the list). I have a 2017. So I guess from 2011to 2017 there was no manufacturing or engineering change. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Get a floor jack and torque wrench. Do it yourself by tightening each wheel bolt in increments of 30 until you hit 133 ft/lbs. Also, use the wheel hanger tool next to the spare tire to get everything aligned before you tighten the first bolt. Worked for me on my old 2012. Hopefully it works for you. The problem with VW dealer techs is that most hammer down the first bolt with a gun way too tight. This, I believe throws off how the wheels mount to the rotor hubs. Best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something that has been discussed at length here obviously and elsewhere is the inherent front tire/wheel and hence, steering wheel vibration on many T3 models. After fighting this on our 2013 TDI with several road force balance sessions and rotations at Discount Tire (who I have done a ton of commercial and personal business with) I ran across TSB 4815-04 here which discusses how to properly mount your wheels. We checked the wheels for balance and all looked good except one from the rear. Went ahead and road force balanced all 4 afterwards then mounted them as specified in the TSB. No more vibration. Smooth as glass all the way up to 80 mph and on 3 different road surface types. Just thought I'd pass this along and have attached the full TSB for easy reference in this lengthy thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Something that has been discussed at length here obviously and elsewhere is the inherent front tire/wheel and hence, steering wheel vibration on many T3 models. After fighting this on our 2013 TDI with several road force balance sessions and rotations at Discount Tire (who I have done a ton of commercial and personal business with) I ran across TSB 4815-04 here which discusses how to properly mount your wheels. We checked the wheels for balance and all looked good except one from the rear. Went ahead and road force balanced all 4 afterwards then mounted them as specified in the TSB. No more vibration. Smooth as glass all the way up to 80 mph and on 3 different road surface types. Just thought I'd pass this along and have attached the full TSB for easy reference in this lengthy thread.
It isn't working Brad

241 - 260 of 294 Posts
About this Discussion
293 Replies
72 Participants
Manni0770
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing