Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, thanks for any answers in advance!

History of my Touareg. 2006, v8. 1 year ago had transfer case and stepper motor replaced. Just last week had another stepper motor put in due to system fault work shop light on.

The new stepper motor was put in Friday. Left the shop the Touareg was running fine. Get some lunch, start car back up, brake assist work shop light comes on, followed by abs light. At this point the Touareg will not move without heavy grinding noises... Got it towed to my mechanic over the weekend.

Does this sound like a brake issue , or transfer case ? I don't recall those light coming on before when I had the transfer case issues. I do not have the money right now for anymore expensive repairs. Any help is really appreciated !!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
hi, you need to get is scanned with VAG COM VCDS and see what fault codes are there, this is the easiest step to start with :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Grinding is locked up differentials. Computer engages them trying to correct wheel spin when it reads the wheel speed sensors or other inputs incorrectly. You may have an ABS sensor issue on one of the wheels, but most likely something done improperly with the stepper install. Pull fuse 23 in driver side fusebox and it should resolve your binding issue. Remove all other differential fuses from driver's side(3 total), if the above doesn't help the grind/bind. You will be able to drive the car with no binding, but prepare to stop earlier, as ABS will interfere and pulse your brakes.

Might be as simple as a wire connector to the stepper unplugged.

Manually engage the center and rear locks while in neutral on level ground(before playing with fuses), and see what happens. You should hear audible sounds of motor working for center and rear when you engage and disengage with windows open. Your MFD should display the locks as well and light on the switch knob should be solid, flashing only while dis/engaging. If the rear is not working as it should, then that is the problem..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts