Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Did you read this post ?

I have recently replaced the OEM front shocks on our 11 VR6 at 135K, the B4 Touring standard suspension shocks have proved to be a cost effective improvement to the original shocks. Last weekend we drove a 600+ mile RT and the front would bounce once and absorb the large bump where as the rear would have a tendency to bounce a 2nd time.

The rears are in transit and will be installed within next couple of weeks.

There is a small part of me wondering what the B6 Standard Suspension shocks would ride like but at a significant $$ increase over the B4 front shocks for our 9 year old Touareg it didn't make sense, if I was doing this between 50 and 75K I might have considered it more seriously.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The b4 is supposedly a 10% improvement in handling over stock touareg shocks

The b6 is a huge improvement in handling but may also ride a little "rougher" for you

Bilstein also has uprated springs and shocks in all 4 corners for $1200

There are also much more expensive shock upgrade options that will further lower the car and improve handling

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I know another member here with a 09 Touareg tdi who is looking to upgrade to the B6 to improve primarily his towing ability, he has done a lot of towing ans his suspension could do with a refresh. The Australian distributor has apparently run out of these shocks possibly till the end of the year

Are these the one you refer to?

If so they are not the B6 and are paired with Eibach springs which lower the vehicle by 25-40mm, not much good ito him as he wants to keep or raise the standard height but wish to improve handling and especially improve the towing experience.

TonyB

·
Registered
816 Posts
Get the Bilstein b6 then. They're a more aggressive shock and might end up lifting the truck the slightest amount (but not a ton). These will definitely improve handling.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It is unfortunate that the B6 Heavy Duty shocks are not available, that would be a good choice for someone who does a lot of trailer towing. If the rear is not able to maintain ride height like when newer it may be time for new springs also, there are color code dots on the springs that indentify the correct ones for your Touareg for proper spring rate.

Many years ago there were aftermarket springs for towing with had progressive spring rates, as it compressed it had a higher spring rate to carry a load. Not sure if anything like this is available in the towing aftermarket world ? These with B6 Heavy Duty Bilsteins would be nice for towing or maybe their is a Air Shock conversion to help carry the extra load of trailering ?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have been told that these rear springs fitted to my 7L ('08) Tdi are the stiffest OEM available.
Rear Coil IMG_0583.JPG

·
Registered
816 Posts
Interesting I'll look the color code up. Know what they're out of?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
As said, my previous 7L 2008 3.0 Tdi.

TonyB

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oh my bad I didn't realize they were OEM. I'll look for the colors I have and see how they compare

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here's my spring.. looks like its red-red-yellow:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wait what?! When I spoke with the parts guy I actually asked if hybrid springs would be an upgrade, since the hybrid is heavier and he replied that the diesel is actually heavier and the tdi springs are likely higher performance

·
Registered
816 Posts
Its for my 2012, which I would think is the same as the 2011

Do you happen to know spring rate differences in length/rating between the models?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I do not know any specifics about springs, sorry.

Will you do your own work ? When I replaced front shocks it was a bear to compress these springs so be warned you will need a quality spring compressor.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No absolutely not. I've heard from several that the rears can be a real bear so I'm not playing around and doing this one myself. ~500 for rear axle labor lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
What have you heard is so difficult ? You remove the carpeted rear deck to get to the upper mount bolts from inside the rear cargo area and then undo the bottom mount bolt so I am curious as to what is so difficult ? $500 is roughly 5 hours of Labor

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think they quoted like $500 for labor rear axle and ~400 labor for the front
I'm just not dealing with springs and shocks on this heavy thing is all. Actually, I rarely deal w/ spring in general on cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts