Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after 122K miles I have decided to change the shocks on all 4 corners. I have noticed they seem to be weak. No leaking or any major issues but do not dampen well anymore. I looked at Bilstein but instead went with OEM Sachs. From my past experience Bilstein have always rode fairly hard an that is not what I am looking for. I looked at the 4600 series and OE replacement Bilstein. I prefer the Sachs OEM, got all four for $402 shipped (not from the dealer of course as I am not going to pay double for re-branded sachs). Also replacing all shock mounts which are the same on all 4.

What I have noticed, although the car rides fine for the most part, over rough road or bumps, it transmits to through the car pretty drastically and there is a slight bounce in the front suspension even though the rest of suspension is in great shape. I also noticed fully loaded this last trip camping that the car was very unstable in corners even at lower speeds and again did not dampen well. I think the shocks have been on their way out for a bit and I am looking forward to a new ride. :D

Reason I went with OEM is to renew the car to factory spec and I felt Bilstein could cause me a headache overall. People may like them but without being able to test ride them I am not taking any chances after my last Bilstein hard ride experience on a VW. I rather stick to what the engineers spec'd for the car. ;) I also looked at Koni FSD's but again, $402 for OEM vs $850 for FSD's. I know FSD's are awesome as I put them on my 05' TDI Passat wagon with 1B Euro springs. Rode like a dream but so do the OEM Sachs when working at 100%.

I will try to document the install. I will have the shocks in next week. Should be a simple install.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’m glad you decided to post this, Alfi. I just got my ‘08 back from having a bunch of work done. Which has 115k miles on it. I told them I thought something was loose in my front end, or maybe some bad bushings. They tell me everything is fine. Nothing is worn, or showing signs of wear.

Now I’m thinking it’s the shocks, and struts. And, after reading your description of the vibrations, and bounce I know for sure it’s just that. Thank you, sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m glad you decided to post this, Alfi. I just got my ‘08 back from having a bunch of work done. Which has 115k miles on it. I told them I thought something was loose in my front end, or maybe some bad bushings. They tell me everything is fine. Nothing is worn, or showing signs of wear.

Now I’m thinking it’s the shocks, and struts. And, after reading your description of the vibrations, and bounce I know for sure it’s just that. Thank you, sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Most likely the issue. Let me know if you need some shocks. I have front Sachs at a good price. Rears for some reason non of my vendors carry but you can pick up a pair on ebay for $198.00

1 - 3 of 3 Posts