Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had the R line for a bit over a month and I haven't stopped smiling yet.

Unbelievable economy for such a vehicle. It defies (my) logic. Can't wait to haul the caravan with it.

So, with a huge amount of help from our resident guru Singh, I have been able to activate the Dynamic Sign Alert and Traffic Alerts.

Today, Singh helped piece the final part of my 'wheel jigsaw' by acting as my agent with a wheel shop in Sydney, where I had managed to negotiate a great deal on some 19" Porsche Cayenne rims (that, in my opinion, are not unlike the R Line OEM rims). Thanks for all your help mate, invaluable assistance.

The rims appear to be on their way from Sydney to Perth WA. I'll source replacement VW centre caps as soon as they arrive (and TPMS sensors) before fitting them with new tyres. The 21" rims will come off the car, get cleaned up and the stacked and covered in the corner of the garage.

All the bits and bobs have arrived for the installation of the fuseable distribution panel in the boot to assist us with the preparation for towing the van. This job will include cabling for the caravan rear camera to interact with the RNS850 (does away with a dedicated monitor for the caravan only), additional power outlets in the boot, wiring etc for the (future) installation of an air compressor in the boot, Anderson Plug, re-wiring the tow hitch to suit the caravan and a Redarc Towpro electronic brake controller.

Then it's on for the 2020 Muster ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5x130, 19"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Steve maybe a sill question but, With the Dynamic sign and Traffic Alerts do you need any other specific options installed. I have a near base model with parking sensors and roof only, Would I still be able to activate the Dynamic Sign and Traffic alerts?

Cheers

Craig.

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Craig, one of the critical components required for the Dynamic Sign Recognition is to have a camera that is a series E or higher (as I understand it).

A camera that is D or lower will not provide the correct data/interface to allow the recognition to occur.

To find out what camera variant you have, you need to scan the modules of your car using a VCDS cable (not sure if an ODBII device will do this or not). Your dealership may or may not do this for you (identify the camera module). But, to enable all the coding, you do need access to a VCDS (Rosstech) cable to complete the 'modification'.

What year is yours Craig?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Craig, one of the critical components required for the Dynamic Sign Recognition is to have a camera that is a series E or higher (as I understand it).

A camera that is D or lower will not provide the correct data/interface to allow the recognition to occur.

To find out what camera variant you have, you need to scan the modules of your car using a VCDS cable (not sure if an ODBII device will do this or not). Your dealership may or may not do this for you (identify the camera module). But, to enable all the coding, you do need access to a VCDS (Rosstech) cable to complete the 'modification'.

What year is yours Craig?
Hi Steve,

Mine is a 2014 with roof, air and parking sensors only. Hence why I was wondering, the compliance on it is later 2014 as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
every chance you have the correct camera in yours Craig.

·
Learner
4,733 Posts
Good work Steve! Look ahead to it all being setup for the job... bit by bit.
Decided on the tyres yet? :)

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good work Steve! Look ahead to it all being setup for the job... bit by bit.
Decided on the tyres yet? :)
We had a fantastic run (durability, distance, quietness etc) out of the Scorpion ATR on the previous Touareg.

I'm inclined to stay with them at this stage, but the tyre research is now beginning with a little more effort. Getting the wheels sorted now allows to me to drill down on availability for 19" rims.

A 255/55/R19 is where my focus will be at.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We had a fantastic run (durability, distance, quietness etc) out of the Scorpion ATR on the previous Touareg.

I'm inclined to stay with them at this stage, but the tyre research is now beginning with a little more effort. Getting the wheels sorted now allows to me to drill down on availability for 19" rims.

A 255/55/R19 is where my focus will be at.
Nice looking wheels Steve
Might have to reconsider what size wheel I get when the time comes.
Had decided on 20" because I like the idea of Cooper LTZ in 275/45R20 XL 110S
but they also make a 255/55R19 XL 111H
With 19" I would have the choice of the LTZ or ATR

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have investigated the A/T+. I've now compared the ATR vs A/T+ in a visual side by side comparison. The ATR looks like a semi slick tyre in comparison. And that had me worried about the A/T+..... was the tread design too aggressive? Too chunky? Will it be too noisy?

I have poured over a number of reviews from various resources, and I am sold. They are that good. Quiet. Brilliant in/on sand/mud/unsteady ground. Durable. Quiet. Very reasonable pricing. Quiet.

It's a Pirelli and I have used their product across various forms of vehicular/motorised action. Quiet. Ok...I'm sold.

I'll be putting the A/T+ on my 19" rims in early January. Fingers crossed the 5 x TPMS sensors I have sourced from USA work.

If they do, happy to provide supplied details to anyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have been doing some research on available tyre sizes for the brands I had been considering.
It appears there are more choices in a 255/55R19 than there is in 275/45R20 or equivilent.
Thanks for bringing 255/55R19 to my attention Steve as I had not considered this size before.
So it looks like 19" rims will be the go.
Chart shows the brands I have investigated.
DiamSidewallDiamSidewallDiamSidewall
19"20"21"
OEM275/45R20755.5123.75275/40/R21753.4
110​
CooperZeon LTZ255/55R19 111H XL763.1140.25275/45R20 110S XL755.5123.75
275/55R20 117S XL810.5151.25
285/50R20 116S XL793142.5
AT34S265/50R20 111T XL773132.5
PirelliScorpion ATR255/55R19 111H XL763.1140.25275/50R20 113H XL783137.5
275/55R20 111S810.5151.25
Scorpion AT Plus255/55R19 111H XL763.1140.25275/50R20 113T783137.5
Hancook Dynapro AT2 (RF11)255/55R19 111H763.1140.25265/50R20 111T773132.5
GeneralGrabber AT3255/55R19 111H763.1140.25255/55R20 110H XL788.5140.25
255/50R19 107H737.6127.5

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those tyres look interesting I've started to look at tyres as well I have 6x 18s to replace the 20" on the treg. I'd be interested to see how they perform. I'm still trying to workout where to put the spare. Mounting on the rear of the caravan is presenting a lot of work. Current thought is to remove the caravan spare from the rear and replace it with the treg spare and place the caravan spare in the front boot or under the van between the A frame. The ball weight is the issue as it currently just under maximum

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
if ball weight is just under maximum, putting a spare rim/tyre under the van in between the A frame, you will still be adding kgs to the ball weight.

We have a spare for the caravan and the Touareg (2 wheels/tyres) attached to the rear bar of the caravan. That bumper/bar has been reinforced with a third support arm attached from the chassis of the van.

·
Learner
4,733 Posts
AT plus is an awesome tyre choice for the adventurous Treggers :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
if ball weight is just under maximum, putting a spare rim/tyre under the van in between the A frame, you will still be kgs to the ball weight. View attachment 234260 adding

We have a spare for the caravan and the Touareg (2 wheels/tyres) attached to the rear bar of the caravan. That bumper/bar has been reinforced with a third support arm attached from the chassis of the van.
Steve, what side is your steering wheel on, right side but drive on the left? All the travel trailers, motorhomes over here have the doors and awnings on the right side. I am aware that one of our Motorhome manufacturer's (My brand actually, Tiffin Motorhomes) ship their units across the pond with everything opposite that it is here. Strange to see yours like that.

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve, what side is your steering wheel on, right side but drive on the left? All the travel trailers, motorhomes over here have the doors and awnings on the right side. I am aware that one of our Motorhome manufacturer's (My brand actually, Tiffin Motorhomes) ship their units across the pond with everything opposite that it is here. Strange to see yours like that.
I'm in Australia. We drive on the left hand side of the road (when sober). Our steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car. Therefore all motorehomes/caravans etc in Australia will have the entry doors on the left hand side (kerb side)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steve nice setup and I have looked at what your setup is. I looked at a wind down arrangement similar to what some utes have or the jayco silverline have but it involves rearranging the water tanks and piping underneath. I haven't got too far I pinched a nerve in my back however it's improving and I hope to get it sorted next week. What weights are van?

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the plan from the manufacturer:
Tare: 2620
GTM: 2770
ATM: 3020
Ball: 250

The real thing specs are very close to their plan.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The one tyre you're missing from your little tyre charts above is the NItto brand. I have 275/45R20's on my alternate rims to my 275/40R21 standard rims that came on my car. Mine are Nitto Terra Grapplers which are an all terrain. I can't fault them if i'm honest. Of course they are going to be noisier than the road based pirelli scorpions that came on the 21's, but that is the sacrifice you make. What has me a little perplexed with some of the comments above is why you would want to go from a 275 width standard tyre to a 255. Is there are good reasoning behind that choice? That sounds a little under tyred if you ask me, but I'm far from an expert. I have used my nittos on gravel, dirt, sand, mud and plenty of normal highway driving towing my 21ft Jayco van and they haven't missed a beat. It's worth putting them on your shopping list as well. (y)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts