Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is an active topic. Mt search function isn't working.

I have my driveshaft out, but the new one is not going back in. It's an aftermarket replacement form Detroit Axle, it was fairly highly rated. I can attach either end, no problem, but with either end in place I cannot get the entire axle back in place.

If I install it rear differential first, as everyone suggests, I can barely slide the rubber flange coupling past the trans spindle but I'm a good 3/32" too long and it simple wont compress any more.

I've tried the reverse installation and can't get past my rear brace in front of the differential.

Should it be that tight? Am I missing a step in compressing the shaft? have I bought a bum part? Am I on teh right track and need just a little more oomph to get it in?

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm going to comb the archive and more than likely reinstall my old shaft and park it until I can find a solution.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Are you installing the rear axle, or the rear driveshaft? Seems like driveshaft. Is this on your 1935 Ford, or your 2004 Touareg? 2015? Without any vehicle info, it's very difficult to provide you with any assistance.

Are you sure your got the right part? There's several different driveshafts with varying lengths depending on engine and equipment. Take both drive shafts and measure them total length with the fully compressed, and fully stretched.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above it would have helped if, when you signed up, you had completed your profile with your model, year and location.

Click on User CP to do so.

Different markets got different models and different models got different drive shafts which is what I think you are talking about and not your rear axle.

Please elaborate.

If the issue is the centre bearing rubber having split then you most probably did not need a new drive shaft!

Look up The Jimi Fix.

It costs nothing and works long term too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to avoid resorting to the DIY jury rig repair but I guess that's the way to go. Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No need to avoid it at all! It works!!

Just get a bit of grease into the bearing itself whilst you have the shaft off the car.

Have you measured the old and new shafts as suggested?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
711 Posts
First thing to check is get out a tape measure and make sure they are the same length. I can’t remember exactly what I had done to install my new one but do remember it being a struggle getting it back in. I’m sure I used a pry bar getting it back in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new shaft was 1/2" longer fully compressed on the work bench. I measured it and tried again any way. No way it was going in, prybar, screw driver or grease. I executed a Jimi fix and had the old one back in without a struggle in 1o minutes. There was 3/4" clearance on that one. So in affect the new shaft was 1.25" longer. I guess I'll be calling the Distributor on Monday. Jimi Fix works like a champ.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did measure it and it was 1/2" longer. I went with the Jimi Fix and reinstalled the old one. Didn't think to grease the bearing as I was just trying to get it off the jack stands. Will pop some in there next time it's up.. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
What helped? The Jimi Fix or the tape measure?? ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
noobytoogy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing