Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new owner here of a shiny Moonlight Blue V8 R-Line. This week have had installed westfalia towbar, a blackvue dash cam, SUNA enabled, and DAB+ radio module (that's not working yet though, we think an issue with the antenna amplifier).

Thought I'd say hi... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and redarc towpro elite brake controller. Forgot about that!

We tried to enable Google earth on the RNS850, but drew a blank. Got the software on it, set the settings, gave it data via an rSAP connected phone, but it is still greyed out. Have to keep digging on that one...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi all, new owner here of a shiny Moonlight Blue V8 R-Line. This week have had installed westfalia towbar, a blackvue dash cam, SUNA enabled, and DAB+ radio module (that's not working yet though, we think an issue with the antenna amplifier).

Thought I'd say hi... :)
Welcome aboard. What model year is yours? I assume from all the customisations that will void your warranty, yours is a few years old.

Any pics?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh and redarc towpro elite brake controller. Forgot about that!

We tried to enable Google earth on the RNS850, but drew a blank. Got the software on it, set the settings, gave it data via an rSAP connected phone, but it is still greyed out. Have to keep digging on that one...
make sure you let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard. What model year is yours? I assume from all the customisations that will void your warranty, yours is a few years old.

Any pics?

Any pics?
Thanks - MY16. They can't 'void' the warranty, Australian consumer law is a little better than that :)

They CAN refuse to honour a warranty claim if something I have done causes something else, but getting a towbar / brake controller fitted by an auto electrician would be hard to prove that.

If I have an issue with the RNS850 again they'd need to have reasonable cause that what I have done has broken it...

Cheers.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks - MY16. They can't 'void' the warranty, Australian consumer law is a little better than that :)

They CAN refuse to honour a warranty claim if something I have done causes something else, but getting a towbar / brake controller fitted by an auto electrician would be hard to prove that.

If I have an issue with the RNS850 again they'd need to have reasonable cause that what I have done has broken it...

Cheers.
Nice. Looks like you have everything under control.

I agree that external mods should be okay. Was more teferring to DAB module.

I look forward to getting a review of what it is like compared to analogue.

BTW, can you share what is involved with putting in the DAB module and what is the cost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Looks like you have everything under control.

I agree that external mods should be okay. Was more teferring to DAB module.

I look forward to getting a review of what it is like compared to analogue.

BTW, can you share what is involved with putting in the DAB module and what is the cost?
I'm live and work in Brisbane, with good DAB+ reception, so decided it would be worth it. It's a new radio module, coded into the car, and a genuine antenna amplifier, connected to the right rear window's built-in antenna. It's about $1k all up, but I figure I will use it every day, so over the years I will have the car it should be worth it.

We think we have a dodgy amplifier at the moment, so it's not picking anything up, new one has been ordered. Once it is working I will let you know what it's like! :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm live and work in Brisbane, with good DAB+ reception, so decided it would be worth it. It's a new radio module, coded into the car, and a genuine antenna amplifier, connected to the right rear window's built-in antenna. It's about $1k all up, but I figure I will use it every day, so over the years I will have the car it should be worth it.

We think we have a dodgy amplifier at the moment, so it's not picking anything up, new one has been ordered. Once it is working I will let you know what it's like! :)
Nice. Who is doing the install for you? Also, where did you source the module from?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum Swallowtail. Hope you enjoy your new toy for years to come. John

Reactions: 166033

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Module supplied and fitted by Euro Car Upgrades on Sunshine Coast.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Well after another go at getting it working (and another 3 hour round trip to the Sunshine Coast) DAB+ is not working still, and they are saying maybe it doesn't work on Australian ones... :surprise:

Suggestion is to go back for them to put the standard module back and forget it, so another 3 hour trip + the time up there.

So looks like DAB+ may be a bit of a fizzer in the Touareg after all that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Swallowtail

I bought one of these and installed it myself. It uses low power FM to transmit the decoded DAB+ signal to the RNS850 and it uses the RDS function to display the station you have selected (via the supplied remote control) on the RNS screen. You don't get details of song playing etc. But you DO get a choice of all DAB+ stations wherever you are including the ones without any constant nagging ads and blah blah blah!! Meets my criteria!!

It uses a supplied powered DAB antenna which I mounted at the top of the passenger side of the windscreen. If you smash the windscreen, you'd be looking for a new antenna as it is WELL stuck on. I mounted the decoder in the LHS of the dash behind the fuse box and ran 12V from a switched 12V rail (back of a 12V socket) so the unit only turns on when the ignition is on. No risk of battery drain. If I want to turn the radio on when the car isn't on, then I just select one of the other FM stations.

http://www.axionag.de/products/axion/dab210vw-dab-universelle-dab-digitalradio-nachruest-box_en

I bought it through Amazon in Germany. It is also sold as an OEM VW accessory in some parts of the world. My carton was badged VW when it arrived in Aus.

It works well from over 12 months experience.

That might provide you with another potential solution - not integrated like you were trying, but also at about a third of the cost.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Swallowtail

I bought one of these and installed it myself. It uses low power FM to transmit the decoded DAB+ signal to the RNS850 and it uses the RDS function to display the station you have selected (via the supplied remote control) on the RNS screen. You don't get details of song playing etc. But you DO get a choice of all DAB+ stations wherever you are including the ones without any constant nagging ads and blah blah blah!! Meets my criteria!!

It uses a supplied powered DAB antenna which I mounted at the top of the passenger side of the windscreen. If you smash the windscreen, you'd be looking for a new antenna as it is WELL stuck on. I mounted the decoder in the LHS of the dash behind the fuse box and ran 12V from a switched 12V rail (back of a 12V socket) so the unit only turns on when the ignition is on. No risk of battery drain. If I want to turn the radio on when the car isn't on, then I just select one of the other FM stations.

http://www.axionag.de/products/axion/dab210vw-dab-universelle-dab-digitalradio-nachruest-box_en

I bought it through Amazon in Germany. It is also sold as an OEM VW accessory in some parts of the world. My carton was badged VW when it arrived in Aus.

It works well from over 12 months experience.

That might provide you with another potential solution - not integrated like you were trying, but also at about a third of the cost.

Cheers

Andrew
That looks quite neat.

Interesting thing is that in the green menu (hidden engineering menu) the DAB module is seeing the Australian ensembles, but just not seeing any services in them. I'm wondering if it may be antenna / signal issue rather than not working at all.

I'm going to see if a temporary separate aerial instead of the genuine side window connection works, then decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Separate antenna did not resolve it, so it's an issue with the DAB unit or the install / coding.

I've also realised that the installers have kept my original FM/AM unit (which the genuine FM/AM/DAB unit replaces) :( I've asked for it back and a removal / refund on the DAB unit...

Will have to have a look at alternatives.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Swallowtail
Would you mind letting me know who installed your towpro, I am currently having trouble with mine - refer to my post. I am currently in Brisbane so I may be able to sort whilst I am here. Thanks
Cheers
Bettsy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello swallowtail my trey is an 07 so not up to scratch as yours BUT I did install an RNS 510 DAB+ out of a 2014 T5 from Germany and it works fine I used the window Arial that goes on the passengers side I get all info on my unit , Europe uses the same as us DAB+ so I carny see why your unit is not working , we just Carnot buy any modules from the US as they dust have DAB and not the + , my brother just bought a DAB+ unit from an Audi its VAG so all interchangeable to install on his rns850 I will let you know how he goes then give you the part number

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Interesting about the DAB, I have it in my car but find unless I am in Sydney it is all but useless. Range is not great and apart from some extra info can't really notice a fidelity increase that would want me to pay for this feature.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Separate antenna did not resolve it, so it's an issue with the DAB unit or the install / coding.

I've also realised that the installers have kept my original FM/AM unit (which the genuine FM/AM/DAB unit replaces) :( I've asked for it back and a removal / refund on the DAB unit...

Will have to have a look at alternatives.
I have DAB in my Landcruiser Sahara, it cuts out coming home (Sunshine Coast) from Brisbane at around the Steve Erwin Way area (B105).

So chances are it works, just not here...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts