Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only got a few miles past 36,000 with the OE Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires that came with my Touareg. The OE tires handled great performed well, but wore out more than any other tire on any vehicle I have ever owned. I have a set of Winter rubber (Blizzaks) that I install before the first snowstorm of each year and leave on until near Spring so it save on some mileage.

So I debated about which brand/tire I was going to purchase. It was either Goodyear Triple Tred CS or Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus. With the goodwill money ($832 out the door. I could have had the tire shop mount them to the Touareg, but I prefer to use my own Torque Wrench) I decided to get the new version of the same tire. The new version has a 65,000 mile tread wear warranty, and they are also asymmetrical non-directional (rotate any way I want). They look good and after having driven 25 or so miles on them , they have the same good handling feel as the old version.

I did notice one peculiar thing about the new tires. My steering wheel no longer has the slight shimmy at highway speeds it used to have using the OE tires. Maybe I had a small balance problem on the old tires. Some before and after images.

20160226_170942.jpg 20160226_170951.jpg

20160226_171021.jpg

20160227_114949.jpg 20160227_114956.jpg

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Great tire! I've had mine for 8000 miles. Quiet, too.

Reactions: bman400 and BenTDI

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
379 Posts
Pirellis are great tires for performance and handling, which makes it only natural that they wear out quickly..probably because of having a soft compund which aids in said great performance and handling.

I've used Pirelli before on another car I had and loved them, but I can't afford replacing them so quickly.

I've got the Hankook Ventus AS currently on my car. So far I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My dealer recommended the Verde Plus for Touareg....my new one came with regular (1st gen?) Verde....I'll be thrilled if I 36 k out of them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's one of the tires I'm looking at to replace the M&S tires I currently have on my 2011 (new to me) Touareg. The M&S work great but I think I can increase their life is I only use them in the winter and use an "all-season" during the spring, summer and fall. Does it make sense to do this, in you guys' opinions???

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
To run winter and summer tires you really need two sets of wheels.

It's not a good idea to remove/replace the tires from/on the wheel twice a year.

I think it may be illegal in Germany where two sets of wheels and tyres are the norm!

Winter tires are worn out/ineffective at 50% tread depth wear, so conserving a set for winter use only is sensible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
does anyone know what tire is on the new 21" wheels on a 16 Exec? website says all season

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
Pirellis are great tires for performance and handling, which makes it only natural that they wear out quickly..probably because of having a soft compund which aids in said great performance and handling.

I've used Pirelli before on another car I had and loved them, but I can't afford replacing them so quickly.

I've got the Hankook Ventus AS currently on my car. So far I'm happy with them.
AFAIK the Verde Plus has higher UTQG rating for wear than the original Verde - sadly only the Verde, not the Verde Plus, is available in the UK and Pirelli Europe have no plans to introduce it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
That's one of the tires I'm looking at to replace the M&S tires I currently have on my 2011 (new to me) Touareg. The M&S work great but I think I can increase their life is I only use them in the winter and use an "all-season" during the spring, summer and fall. Does it make sense to do this, in you guys' opinions???
That's my normal approach - All-Seasons in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winters in Winter.

Although the new breed of All-Seasons, the Michelin CrossClimate and Nokian Weatherproof are getting very good reviews and seem to suit year-round use in the UK's predominantly damp maritime climate. Not all sizes are available yet but should be by the time I need tyres.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I might just be getting a set of the Verde Plus' soon.

I've had the DWS for 25,000 miles now and 2 years and while they have been awesome tires, the rears have the W gone now and the fronts will have it gone soon too.

I like that the Plus' have a higher number for longevity than the DWS and that is one of the main reasons why I want them, in addition, they are rated very highly, (#1) on TireRack so that doesn't hurt either.

Maybe in a couple of weeks or so as I want to let the DWS' wear down some more before I use the $500 goodwill card to help pay for the tires.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Great tire! Highly recommend. I have 10k on mine. I almost got the DWS06 but after two sets of the original DWS, I wanted to try something else. The DWS tires were good...the Plus version of the Pirelli Scorpions are significantly better. Quiet, smooth, no shake at all.

Reactions: BenTDI

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks Fincher(and toolmanjohn), I knew you were one of the only others on here who have run the DWS so your input is most welcomed.

I thought I'd for sure get the DWS06 but I want more life. I think the DWS is like a 500 rating and the Verde+ has a 640 or something, the highest out of any of the 20" tires out there. If the V+ are even better then that will really be something.

When I first got my TDI, it had the shake. I had made sure all the psi's were correct and then made sure all the lugbolts were all at 133 and the shake was gone.

I was so happy when I had the DWS put on as there was no shake from day 1. I did, however, re-torque all the bolts to 133. I never rotated in the 25,000 miles now and I now know that the rears wear just a little quicker than the fronts but otherwise, there is no uneven wear at all. I also tow so that wears things out a bit quicker too. Quiet, smooth, no shake and longer lasting, what is not to like?

I did think that both the LS2 and the DWS were good in snow as last winter was Snowmageddon up here and I trucked through anything and everything. We had a snow yesterday morning and the worn DWS were not that great at all, the S was missing and the W was missing out back so I knew it was not going to be the best but the Treg still got me to work.

Pirelli also has a $60 rebate going on from 03/18/2016 till 06/2016-something so that will be nice too.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
They look good, too:

Attachments

Reactions: BenTDI

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
They look good, too:

They do.

I had seen a 2016 at a dealership with the Verde's on, w/o the +, and thought they looked good, but the + is just the much better version and the parts guy I had spoken to said $1 more per tire for the +.

Perfect pic too as I also have the Exec, and a 2012. We are like twins.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I really like the low-end torque on the 2009-12 TDI. Seems a little better than the 2013-16 version...I test drove a 2016 Exec in September. Gotta add the Auto-hold, warning triangle and aluminum pedals and we'd be exact twins!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
And...Euro Mats...going to do my spring cleaning soon:

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
They do.

I had seen a 2016 at a dealership with the Verde's on, w/o the +, and thought they looked good, but the + is just the much better version and the parts guy I had spoken to said $1 more per tire for the +.

Perfect pic too as I also have the Exec, and a 2012. We are like twins.
For some perverse reason, Pirelli won't introduce the "plus" in Europe - the Scorpion Verde All-Season is a good tyre but the extra life of the "plus" would be a nice bonus.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The new Verde all season plus in 275/45/20 are UTQG rated 740 A A. The same size DWS06 is 560 AA A. Before the rebate the Pirellis are currently about $24 less per tire on Tirerack. I am definitely leaning toward one of the two to replace the stock Goodyears that I have not been impressed with.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts