Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Happy (new) owner of a 2009 vr6 w/tech package. Like most who are purchasing these used, I looked around long and hard for one that was well cared for. My mantra for used vehicles has always been maintenance over mileage :)

I've done much pre-reading and searching here and on the other well known VW forums, but have one very specific question that I cannot seem to figure out w/o getting this vehicle up on a lift.

The previous owner had a bunch of work performed at 73k that stemmed from a small exhaust leak. Essentially the whole exhaust system was replaced.

Along with that, it states that the transfer case carrier was replaced. Is the same prop shaft bearing carrier that I have read so much about??? I am trying to determine if/when I need to address this. I have not yet inspected the prop shaft bearing/carrier, but intend to soon. I also have not been able to determine if certain years were exempt from the prop shaft issue - though it seems not.

Any other maintenance items that come to top of mind for a new owner with 95k on the clock? Like I said, this thing was very well cared for. Plugs, belts, new brakes, new tires (bridgestone alenza's for mileage).

· Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
601 Posts
Hi all,

Happy (new) owner of a 2009 vr6 w/tech package. Like most who are purchasing these used, I looked around long and hard for one that was well cared for. My mantra for used vehicles has always been maintenance over mileage :)

I've done much pre-reading and searching here and on the other well known VW forums, but have one very specific question that I cannot seem to figure out w/o getting this vehicle up on a lift.

The previous owner had a bunch of work performed at 73k that stemmed from a small exhaust leak. Essentially the whole exhaust system was replaced.

Along with that, it states that the transfer case carrier was replaced. Is the same prop shaft bearing carrier that I have read so much about??? I am trying to determine if/when I need to address this. I have not yet inspected the prop shaft bearing/carrier, but intend to soon. I also have not been able to determine if certain years were exempt from the prop shaft issue - though it seems not.

Any other maintenance items that come to top of mind for a new owner with 95k on the clock? Like I said, this thing was very well cared for. Plugs, belts, new brakes, new tires (bridgestone alenza's for mileage).
You did not mention Battery which might be 8 years old?

Sounds like you may be able to start with current well cared for as your baseline and then do future maintenance like oil etc somewhat similar to new car. Some things that go wrong with the car not as easy to gauge. It is not uncommon to have fuel pumps fail. There are two. The pumps can be accessed under the rear bench seat. Certain sensors fail such as camshaft position sensors, speed sensor, water temp sensor etc. pollution control valve. When the car has a problem it will let you know. Some things you just can't plan for through regular maintenance. Keeping the oil clean is very important. Would change at half recommended interval. Engine relies on good oil pressure for a number of items like the timing chain tensioner. Engine also creates a lot of emissive gases and can end up with carbon build up on back side of intake valves. Clean oil reduces the build up. The electronic potential items are not generally preventable except battery.

The prop shaft bearing will wear out. Pretty certain not the same as the transfer case carrier. I replaced mine with a Vertex keeping the original bearing which was fine. The rubber around the bearing held in place by the carrier frame just wears out over time due to exposure and constant flexing. Without putting the car on a lift you can lay on the ground and grab the propshaft and see how easy it can be pushed away from you and pulled toward you. Grab about a foot to the rear of carrier and shake. Should not move very much either direction.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks @G6 - I have not checked the battery yet. I do know that the oil has been changed every 5k on this vehicle. Service records go all the way back to when new. I will continue to keep it at a 5k interval as I do with all my vehicles.

I got under the vehicle yesterday and checked out what I believe to be the prop shaft carrier/seal. I will get a picture of it and post, but to me, looks like its very new and in good condition.

totally understand I can't control all the little quirks this vehicle will hit me with, just trying to stay ahead of the big stuff.

At 100k Im going to do tranny/diff flush. I asked the previous owner and he did not perform this maintenance, although he said they have when the transfer case carrier was replaced.

· Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
601 Posts
thanks @G6 - I have not checked the battery yet. I do know that the oil has been changed every 5k on this vehicle. Service records go all the way back to when new. I will continue to keep it at a 5k interval as I do with all my vehicles.

I got under the vehicle yesterday and checked out what I believe to be the prop shaft carrier/seal. I will get a picture of it and post, but to me, looks like its very new and in good condition.

totally understand I can't control all the little quirks this vehicle will hit me with, just trying to stay ahead of the big stuff.

At 100k Im going to do tranny/diff flush. I asked the previous owner and he did not perform this maintenance, although he said they have when the transfer case carrier was replaced.
If you have an original battery it may appear you cannot fill any of the cells if low on electrolyte. My original battery (2005) was a Varta which is made by johnson controls lasted 10 years. Stickers were covering flush mounted plugs that when removed you could add more fluid. I never did. When my battery failed a few of the cells were very low. I live in Nebraska and we can have harsh winters. Car has always parked outside. Was very impressed with the battery life which is probably atypical. Never had a problem till it failed.

Just passed 50k in my 2005. I have had fuel pump issues, camshaft issues, elongated timing chain issues, throttle body, prop shaft, direct ignition coils. Car eats tires due to weight, and front brake pads take a beating. Was driving everyday and not exactly gently. Even with low mileage things fail just due to age. Want your fuel pumps to last never let the add fuel light come on. The pumps suck fuel from the bottom of the tank so best not to let fuel get low. My dumbass would drive till car said zero miles to empty. Pumps still lasted but think best to refill just under a quarter of a tank.

Am driving a turbo beetle to work, but love my Touareg and not because it is the only car paid for! Wish I would have taken better care of her. My wife is on her second Tiguan and had a Jetta station wagon during the same time period.

Try to find someone other than VW to do maintenance. VW has a tendency to throw parts at a problem and still not fix. Have a great guy Chris in Omaha European motors that is not the least expensive but the car is fixed properly when returned.

If the prop shaft carrier goes you will know. You will hear a distinctive THUNK center console when you accelerate. it will just happen. The rubber around the bearing fails so nothing keeps the shaft centered. Just a little torque and THUNK.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's some low mileage for an '05! We have owned multiple VW's and also have a very reputable shop outside of Philly. They only service VW/Audi and Honda/Acura. 3rd generation family owned place. I also have some friends who like to get their hands dirty and one of them has a lift. Hoping to do most of my work there!

Attached are a couple pics of my prop shaft and the flex piece. The whole undercarriage of the treg looks great and the actual prop shaft looks pretty new. I def think I'm going to go for the EPS/vertex fix eventually, but will ride this thing out for a bit if it's got some life left.

Attachments

· Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
601 Posts
That's some low mileage for an '05! We have owned multiple VW's and also have a very reputable shop outside of Philly. They only service VW/Audi and Honda/Acura. 3rd generation family owned place. I also have some friends who like to get their hands dirty and one of them has a lift. Hoping to do most of my work there!

Attached are a couple pics of my prop shaft and the flex piece. The whole undercarriage of the treg looks great and the actual prop shaft looks pretty new. I def think I'm going to go for the EPS/vertex fix eventually, but will ride this thing out for a bit if it's got some life left.
Looks like the rubber is in good shape and bearing looks like it may have been repacked. The orange ring is a seal and can notice a little grease spillage. The flex looks pretty new. Probably won't need to replace for awhile. The vertex is expensive but well made , heavy and easy to install. Cleaning the bearing is the hardest part getting all the rubber off, but other than that piece of cake. The vertex frame essentially has a cradle that the bearing sits in. Well engineered and worth the money.

Live downtown and work downtown sometimes I just walk to work. Probably have not put more than 150 miles a week at most. Most of the miles from trips to Colorado and a few to Chicago. Even though low milage the electronics and rubber type items don't care. My drivers seat looks 12 years old, although most of the other leather is little used.

Forgot to mention that if you have a sunroof make sure you keep the drains clean. If clogged will get water in your headliner by the window jambs. The skylight frame has four nipples, one in each corner. The drain house runs along the window jamb where the airbags are located. Similar in back water drains out at wheel wells. Sometimes the sealant on the hose connector fails and will leak. Certain there are posts this sight with photos etc or something on YouTube. I ended up gorilla gluing the connectors.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Wow! That is one clean underside! I forgot what one looked like. last time I changed my oil I pulled a live plant out from someplace (I know where it came from and it was a month prior...was still green and not wilted)...offroading is fun, but very dirty.

· Registered
261 Posts
If you get a whistle from the engine while idling replace the valve cover, the pcv valve diaphragm is torn and is integrated into the valve cover. It sucks if you have a 1 piece manifold.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

· Registered
20,262 Posts
The tickover will probably flicker too almost imperceptibly by 50 or so rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.