Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Calvin, I live in Columbus, OH, I consider myself a car enthusiast and I recently purchased a 2013 T3 TDI. It's a Lux level trim in dark gray exterior with an interior which I believe is Saddle colored seats and Corn Silk Beige headliner; I don't have the window sticker, so I might be off on the color names, but whatever they're called I think the interior is absolutely gorgeous! I bought it about 3 weeks ago with 92xxx miles on it and have already taken it on a couple day trips and a 1200+ mile roadtrip to NJ and back; performs and rides great, very comfortable and capable for my wife and I. Previous owner had the emissions fix performed in 2017.

The vehicle had good service history at a local VW dealer, and I had a PPI done at a VW shop, which came back pretty clean with the exception of rear brakes being down to ~4mm left and a slight oil seep from the timing chain cover at the rear of the engine. I changed all the fluids (oil, filter, trans, transfer case, both diffs), wow was that a lot of money in high end oil and VW fluids... but the oil seemed fresh and all driveline fluids looked pretty good for their age, so hopefully it's ready for the next 90k miles, of course with proper oil changes, and trans fluid change every 40-50k.

This is our first VW, picked it up with the intent that it be our road trip vehicle AND eventually replace our '13 F-150 SuperCab 5.0L as our utility & tow rig. It's already proven to be a great road tripper, and based on the research I did before purchasing, once I install the tow hitch + harness + brake controller it should be plenty capable of towing our '98 MasterCraft MariStar 200VRS (single axle with electric brakes, ~4500lbs all loaded up & fueled). As with the F-150, I expect the Touareg won't even notice when it's pulling our 6.5'x10' utility trailer.

Anyway, glad to be here, various threads on this forum have already helped me out tremendously. Hopefully I can contribute back to the community! As I said, I'm a car enthusiast with a pretty long list of cars, trucks, & motorcycles, and I'm hoping to experience many great years in this new-to-me T3 TDI.

A couple pics:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Calvin, welcome to the forum! Love that interior color.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You won't like the cost of adding the correct tow package components if you don't have that option as OEM......
Hopefully you already have the "tow package".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

TurboABA - Thanks for bringing that up! From research before purchase, what I found was that the factory tow package on a T3 consists of the hitch & trailer wiring: https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/what-exactly-is-in-the-tow-package.95321/ Seems the package included add-on items, but no mechanical difference. I've read that there are different levels of wiring preparation; seems some T3s have a brake control wire pre-ran, others don't, but doesn't seem to be a specific pattern to whether they have them or not. Still need to do some more research on this and determine if mine has the brake wire, but even if it doesn't, a wire or 2 can be installed from front to back (not optimal, but doable).

Are you aware of something different in regards to the tow package? Hopefully my research hasn't failed me... I do plan to get the factory hitch. Install will take some time (with complete removal of the rear bumper), but looks pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The proper tow package also consists of a very expensive module in the rear right corner that allows integration into the system once connected to a trailer. This has many features\benefits, from disabling the rear hatch to avoid it hitting trailers\racks\etc to changing the way the engine\transmission\ESP and related systems perform. There's also other stuff like alarm activation if your trailer is unplugged, rear parking sensor deactivation, blah, blah, blah......

If you're only after physically attaching a trailer and pulling it, sure, you can do it the Mickey Mouse way by just bolting on a receiver and running a few wires or doing a BT controller setup kind of thing...... but it won't be anything like the OEM ones unless you add all the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, from what I had read in various places I was under the impression that the module/interface for those functions/integrations were all part of the basic factory package for all T3s. Guess I'll be doing a little more research and looking for that module...hopefully it's there, I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts