Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been browsing the forum before considering to buy the tregg. After reading countless threads and number of hours of research I finally gave into my love for the VW.

I just bought a 04 Touareg 3.2 V6 with 80K miles on it. I could see most the service records from the previous owner in the dashboard. Looks like he maintained it with regular oil changes without any major repairs.

I did a prepurchase inspection before buying the car in a local shop in Fremont Ca, they have approved the car based on its condition and price.

Is there something that I need to lookout for or perform a preventive maintenance on this car to avoid any future pit falls, I would not want to get stranded on the road

So any advice is much appreciated. I have also purchases a cable that can work with the VCDS light version

many thanks

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I didn't know there was still a VCDS "lite" version. Hmmm... I highly recommend the full version. Well worth the $$$. It's expensive, but it will save you money by not needing a mechanic (or dealer) to pull codes and will aid in troubleshooting and reprogramming your modules if you ever want to.

That is low mileage for an 04. Wow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely get VCDS and read the current codes. Once you get familiar with it, you can run output tests on various subsystems to get an even better idea of how everything is behaving. Definitely check the lambda values for timing chain stretch, that seems to be the biggest potential for engine issues. Also, listen for thumping around the driveshaft tunnel while cornering or even accelerating. Could be a bad carrier bearing mount if you hear something unusual.

I picked up my 2006 3.2V6 that was in a salvage yard. I watched it sit there for about 15-16 months before low balling the price. I did hear it start on one visit so I knew there weren't too many things wrong with only 65K. Nevertheless I changed the oil and filter, ran it for about 1k miles, then changed the oil again. I flushed the radiator and replaced with new pentafrost ex. Since then, several mechanical issues arose (none were standard maintenance related), but the engine seems to be doing fine. I've put on about 4K total.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you FSJ Guy and guylozito. I will purchase the full version of the VCDS and run a basic diagnosis on the car.

So far the truck seems to be smooth, as per the records looks like the previous owner has changed the drive shaft.

How ever when i start from stop or hit gas pedal, i feel a little thump the car gives, it does not come while cruising however when i try to give gas after some cruising it repeats.

Is this something that I should be concerned about

thank you...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well.. Interestingly it could be happening again. Just like yours, my previous owner had it changed at around 50k and I'm hearing the same noise. There are plenty of threads on how to temporarily fix it, but it's worth looking at. FYI, the driveshaft isn't bad, just the rubber around the bearing that absorbs the movement. But it's not an easy fix. Search for the threads and you'll see a lot of different situations at various mileages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok will do . Started reading up about the permanent fix by eps

Will update once I dig enough info about it

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you get under the vehicle, you can yank on the driveshaft and check out the rubber donut that is supposed to hold the driveshaft in place. Of course, it's hard to tell if you've never seen a good one before, but it shouldn't be broken, torn or allow the driveshaft to slop around.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try a gearbox reset. Takes 10 seconds.

Turn ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Now press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

The car will now learn your driving style.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, I tried to yank the drive shaft, there is a little bit of play on the longitudinal direction ie; between the diff and the bearing.

I tried to grab some pics, can you please take a look and tell me if I have something to be worried about

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts