Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just purchased a 2004 Touareg V10 tdi from a mechanic friend of mine. He'd bought it 5 years ago with the intention to rebuild it for himself but never got around to it. Shoemakers shoes and all that. He did gather all the parts he needed and even bought an engine which he rebuilt top to bottom. I made him an offer worth his time and effort to put the car together for me and he accepted. Took 2 long months but the car is all together and has been running GREAT. Its an amazing machine. Of course it cant all be rainbows and puppy dogs. The truck throws a "check engine speed sensor code" and when it sits for a few hours it becomes difficult to start. The engine will crank for a good 5-7 minutes (30 seconds at a time) before it'll start back up. Once its running though it runs like a champ. I've already put ~500 miles on the motor and its been fantastic other than this starting problem. Could the engine speed sensor be the cause of this? Its my understanding that this sensor is in front of the starter and requires the motor to be dropped to be changed. Is that correct?
Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! So far we checked both fuel pumps and both are delivering fuel, verified both at the pump (under rear bench) and at the manifold. Also check batteries and both are working great. Its as if the engine looses prime and takes all that cranking to get it back but once its running it runs perfectly.

thank you!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its my understanding that this sensor is in front of the starter and requires the motor to be dropped to be changed. Is that correct?
Yes, you are correct in that the sensor is located directly in front of the starter, and underneath the engine mount block. I don't see a way to change it other than pulling the engine out. I know this because my 08 V10 engine is out right now, and I just replaced the starter and passenger side exhaust manifold. I do recall a member on here a few years ago that said some repair shop replaced the starter without dropping the engine, but I really don't see how that is possible. I think it would be more work and time to try and replace it without dropping the engine...

As far as the code being thrown, and what VCDS is telling you, the engine speed sensor is the most likely culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts