1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Touareg Exec TDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My first post here :)
Have a 2012 Touareg TDI exec and it is time for an oil change, I'm at ~75k miles.
Done this before, no big deal.
Go to my VW dealer to purchase 9 quarts of Castrol Professional (VW 504.00/507.00) 5w-30 only to find the no longer carry it!
All they have would be 0w-30 VW full synthetic oil. Gentlemen at the counter stated that VW will no longer be carrying Castrol 5w-30 and only the new 0w30 is recommended for TDI engines. It has the VW 504.00/507.00 spec, which he did mention is Mobil oil just packaged for VW.

Anyone on here experience this oil change?
Would anyone be concerned with using the lighter weight oil?

Thanks!
Look forward to your responses.

BTW, did a search and found nothing regarding this change.:unsure:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Correct. 0W is for Winter, viscosity in cold weather and 30 for Summer, viscosity in hot weather.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What about people who never see winter? In south FL you go from a low of 65 to 95 most of the yr., 0-30 w doesn't seem right. Southern Cali is also a no cold zone and there are a ton of cars rolling around that part of the world.

·
Registered
2012 Touareg Exec TDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those oils are both the same weight....30.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Agreed, same weight/viscosity at operating temperature.
When starting a vehicle cold is where my question and concern comes in.

If for the last 75k miles my vehicle has experienced 5w-30, will the 0w30 make a difference?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently checked on that Castrol oil and the product data sheet for the 0W30 does show that it meets VW 507 spec, while the 5W30 version of the same oil does not meet that spec. Since most internal engine wear occurs at cold starts, going with the 0W30 (lower viscosity) helps to lubricate the engine quickly and reduce wear. This is especially advantageous if your Touareg is not used regularly (like mine). The longer an engine sits, the less oil film is left on engine parts as gravity pulls it into the pan. I'm guessing that Castrol chose not to spend the money to go through the "test and approval process" for both weights (just the 0W30). It's likely that the formulation for both weights is almost identical, so the 5W30 "should" also work for the 3.0 TDI. Personally I'd go for the 0W30 because it does meet the 507 spec and I like the 0W advantages for cold starts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have used Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 for my last 3 oil changes. It meets the 504-50700 spec. I live in a colder climate and thought it might be better for those cold starts when the car has to be outside overnight. The coldest overnight it sat outside, was -25C. I had absolutely no issue starting and it immediately ran smoothly. I have noticed no extra oil usage. 1/8 of a litre after 8000 km (5000 miles). About 2000 of that towing. About to change the oil again at an independent shop that has a lot of experience with this vehicle. He uses Total Quartz Eneo 5W-30 (also 504-50700). I trust the guy, but not sure about trying a new oil. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently checked on that Castrol oil and the product data sheet for the 0W30 does show that it meets VW 507 spec, while the 5W30 version of the same oil does not meet that spec. Since most internal engine wear occurs at cold starts, going with the 0W30 (lower viscosity) helps to lubricate the engine quickly and reduce wear. This is especially advantageous if your Touareg is not used regularly (like mine). The longer an engine sits, the less oil film is left on engine parts as gravity pulls it into the pan. I'm guessing that Castrol chose not to spend the money to go through the "test and approval process" for both weights (just the 0W30). It's likely that the formulation for both weights is almost identical, so the 5W30 "should" also work for the 3.0 TDI. Personally I'd go for the 0W30 because it does meet the 507 spec and I like the 0W advantages for cold starts.
Use Rotella T synthetic: My dad used it in his trucks for almost 1 million miles and I use it on my Duramax, 2015 Passat TDI, and our 2012 Touareg TDI. It is the best oil on the market.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Makes a mockery of all these previous oil discussions on this and other forums about must use OEM oil they know what is best yet they change when it suits them and while im on it if an oil meets VW 507.00 for example if it so special to meet VW spec how the hell does it also meet BMW spec blah blah blah and Mercedes spec blah blah blah etc

Go figure

regards
Drag

·
Registered
16 Posts
Makes a mockery of all these previous oil discussions on this and other forums about must use OEM oil they know what is best yet they change when it suits them and while im on it if an oil meets VW 507.00 for example if it so special to meet VW spec how the hell does it also meet BMW spec blah blah blah and Mercedes spec blah blah blah etc

Go figure

regards
Drag
I agree. I'm a retired f-16 crew chief and I was a ASE tech in my own business... I also have been turning wrenches for over 38 years.... Lol... sounds like too many engineers in this conversation. When I worked for Northwest Airlines and as a QC Inspector for Air Canada, I met many that could not think outside of the box. Btw... I have a 2006 Maserati Quatroporte and it is getting Rotella by shell.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hello all,
My first post here :)
Have a 2012 Touareg TDI exec and it is time for an oil change, I'm at ~75k miles.
Done this before, no big deal.
Go to my VW dealer to purchase 9 quarts of Castrol Professional (VW 504.00/507.00) 5w-30 only to find the no longer carry it!
All they have would be 0w-30 VW full synthetic oil. Gentlemen at the counter stated that VW will no longer be carrying Castrol 5w-30 and only the new 0w30 is recommended for TDI engines. It has the VW 504.00/507.00 spec, which he did mention is Mobil oil just packaged for VW.

Anyone on here experience this oil change?
Would anyone be concerned with using the lighter weight oil?

Thanks!
Look forward to your responses.

BTW, did a search and found nothing regarding this change.:unsure:
Hi fellow Buffalo person. What dealership do you use, Volkswagen Autohaus I hope?

·
Registered
2012 Touareg Exec TDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Go figure

regards
Drag
My point exactly!
Car manufacturer's are so specific about what oil to use as if it were gospel!
If "their" oil is not used, warranty may not be honored......certainly has one not want to use another oil brand or weight.
Then out of the blue, the Castrol that has been preached for years is changed to Mobil, not only the brand but also the weight.

Appreciate your input :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
My point exactly!
Car manufacturer's are so specific about what oil to use as if it were gospel!
If "their" oil is not used, warranty may not be honored......certainly has one not want to use another oil brand or weight.
Then out of the blue, the Castrol that has been preached for years is changed to Mobil, not only the brand but also the weight.

Appreciate your input :)
I'm not convinced that QEM brands are used solely for their performance but for costings and kick backs. Was the Firestone tyre used on the Ford Explorer really the right choice? Yet so many people religiously buy the factory recommended brand and use the factory specified inflation spec. 26psi I think it was, resulting in many rollovers.

The standard poverty spec tyre for a Landcruiser is the Dunlop Grandtrek AT22.
The At1, AT2 and AT3 are fine. When people buy a Landcruiser they drive straight to a tyre dealer and (if they make it there) have the AT22s ripped off and replaced.

It's been known forever that any Harley Davidson branded part is rubbish. They sell the licence to use the brand and they don't even test it.

Often the OEM part is good but that can't be relied on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts