Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asheville, NC. After I sold my 98 Jetta TDI and bought a 2000 Passat, I sold the Passat for a small profit and bought a 2004 dark blue 2004 V8 Touareg with 85,000 miles on it. I've had it about a month and I'm still driving my Land Rover. I found it online and had it shipped from a shady dealer in Detroit. I right away went to change the oil and found the front drain plug hex socket stripped out and rusty UH-OH. I used an air chisel tangent to the O.D. to knock it loose and put Mobile One synthetic 0-40W in it, along with a new German made filter cartridge and new drain plug. I also replaced both windshield wipers as it rains a lot here this time of year. The cover around the shift lever shaft was missing and the Tiptronic wasn't working. Also, no owner's manual or jack. I paid $35 for a manual I found on E-Bay. So much for honest disclosure from the shady dealer. It is currently in to a local rogue certified and VW trained mechanic for a timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner pulley, and spark plug replacement. I may have him look into the 1st to 2nd gear shift, its a little unsmooth.

The manual says no spark plug replacement at 80K miles, anybody know why? were they replaced at an earlier service?

Also, anybody hava a good experience with extended warranty for this car? I'm currently shopping for one.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Plug replacement is scheduled at 60,000 miles on the 04-06 V8s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tracked down the previous owner, a lawyer in Ohio, through a social media webpage (Facebook) and found out he owned my Touareg until sometime in 2010. He said the Tiptronic worked when he had it and that he had to use a special synthetic oil. It now has a fresh oil change of 0-40W Mobile One oil, oil filter cartridge, new timing belt, tensioner pulleys, hydraulic tensioner piston, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, serpentine belt, windshield wiper blades and air filter.

·
Senior Trex-Tamer
312 Posts
Hey glad to have another treg around my neck of the woods. I'm about half an hour east of you in old fort and happy to share any info I can with you.

You are already on a good start If you've found these forums as the knowledge and resource pool here is immense.

Deal motorsports has done a fair share of work for me so far, they are a dealer so I've paid for my work heh but happy with my experience thus far.

If you see a green 04 be sure to wave that will most likely be me waving back. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts