Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I drove a 2014 Executive V6 this weekend and love it. I've never owned a VW but have had Audis. Consumer Reports rates the Touregs as bad cars, specifically for the 2014 it states drive train and fuels system issues. I've also read reviews that love their Toureg. CAn anyone feel me in the reliability and purchased advice for a 2014?

Registered
I don't think CR is always correct.
For example they give a top reliability rating to the Audi Q7 which is essentially the same vehicle under the skin and assembled at the same plant.
The dealer you use is pretty important and could have had an impact on why the Audi gets better marks.
My dealer is fantastic. I have a 2013 Passat TDI and it has been flawless. But so were my 2009 and 2003 GTI's. My 35,000 mile 2015 Touareg Lux TDI is a fantastic car. Just returned from a 600 mile trip and 31 mpg. Mostly at 75-80 mph. I have owned a lot of terrific cars and the one most comparable to our Touareg was our 1995 BMW 540i Sport 6 sp. Another supremely capable car that ate up the miles with comfort and competence.
My wife and I drove the gas and diesel. The diesel is an entirely better beast in my opinion. We would not have purchased the gas. my wife likes torque馃憤. The two test cars showed 16 and 26 mpg respectively. We are averaging 27 in suburban driving.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think CR is always correct.
For example they give a top reliability rating to the Audi Q7 which is essentially the same vehicle under the skin and assembled at the same plant.
The dealer you use is pretty important and could have had an impact on why the Audi gets better marks.
My dealer is fantastic. I have a 2013 Passat TDI and it has been flawless. But so were my 2009 and 2003 GTI's. My 35,000 mile 2015 Touareg Lux TDI is a fantastic car. Just returned from a 600 mile trip and 31 mpg. Mostly at 75-80 mph. I have owned a lot of terrific cars and the one most comparable to our Touareg was our 1995 BMW 540i Sport 6 sp. Another supremely capable car that ate up the miles with comfort and competence.
My wife and I drove the gas and diesel. The diesel is an entirely better beast in my opinion. We would not have purchased the gas. my wife likes torque馃憤. The two test cars showed 16 and 26 mpg respectively. We are averaging 27 in suburban driving.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the VR6 gas model, are the TDIs even being sold now? Our driving will be mostly stop and go city and short trips, Inthiught I read something that Touregs don't like this type of driving? Also, how about the maintenance, are these highly maintained cars and expensive to keep up? I know that may be a dumb question since it's a German car, just curious if these are expensive as BMWs to maintain

Registered
Thanks for the feedback. This is the VR6 gas model, are the TDIs even being sold now? Our driving will be mostly stop and go city and short trips, Inthiught I read something that Touregs don't like this type of driving? Also, how about the maintenance, are these highly maintained cars and expensive to keep up? I know that may be a dumb question since it's a German car, just curious if these are expensive as BMWs to maintain
No more TDI till after 2020 (if even then) Stop and go for TDI is not good.

Registered
If you are buying new, then only the gasser is for sale.

If you are buying used, the Tdi can suffer major, total failure of the high pressure fuel pump, HPFP, which can cost up to $16,000 to fix so a warranty is essential, and it can also suffer from SWS, steering wheel shake, which sometimes cannot be fixed at all.

Given your use, steer well clear of any diesel and buy a gasser.

Touaregs can be expensive to service and repair - get, and keep, a good warranty going.

Registered
We have 2011 VR6 Lux with 84K, wife primarily drives around town and we take on vacations a few times a year, great engine and decent mpg for a big SUV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts