Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm from TN and am looking into Touaregs. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them before I possibly pull the trigger one one.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
New or used?

Budget?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say up to 25k, but the lower the better. I'm 24 and just started a new job. My fiance is pregnant and we need an suv. I'm a big diesel fan, so options are limited.
My biggest thing I've been researching is cost of ownership, since I'm probably going to enlist once the baby is born. E3-E4 salary isnt much.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for serving. Pretty solid vehicle. The only real thing I see plagued with these is the AdBlue heating element needing to be replaced and the center driveshaft bushing going south. Both repairs aren't the end of the world. Bushing is around $400 if you do yourself. AdBlue heater is somewhere around the same price, IIRC.

If the vehicle you like has 75K miles or more, you may want to factor this into your decision to purchase.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You may not want to read this but:

The Touareg is not a cheap vehicle to run or repair.

It is not a car for anyone on a budget.

You pay to play, as they say.

I have no idea what income level you might be on but with a new baby on the way do, please, check affordability out of the family budget.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may not want to read this but:

The Touareg is not a cheap vehicle to run or repair.

It is not a car for anyone on a budget.

You pay to play, as they say.

I have no idea what income level you might be on but with a new baby on the way do, please, check affordability out of the family budget.

That's the consensus I've found so far. Would you say cost is comparable to a 3/4 ton powerstroke or more?
I absolutely love the looks of these things. The more I look at them, the more they call my name. If I have to wait, then I wait. The only other real option is a crosstrek.

I'm not serving yet, though it's in the works.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yes, just remember, these were $50K (USD) vehicles to start. They are expensive to repair and you can't just pop down to the local pick n pull junkyard for parts like you can a Ford or Chevy. Or even a Toyota now! Ha ha!

If you have the $$, they are fun vehicles to drive. But if you can't afford a few thousand dollars in repairs every now and then, find a less expensive vehicle. I'm not saying you'll be spending a few grand every year, but you might.

Since you're a diesel fan, I'm sure you know how much more expensive they are to maintain vs. a gasser. The Touareg is no different. :- )

Oh, and WELCOME!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts