Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Newbie user so be kind!
Have my mind pretty much set now on buying a used Treg. Im from N. Ireland and due to credit crunch, lots of deals about, especially just across the water in England/Scotland. Basically, I have a few questions about different models and a more interesting question is that of LPG Gas Conversion. Does anybody have this done, had success, had bother? What MPG you getting?
From what I have read, people seem to fit the 80ltr tank which gives 55ltr capacity, and 200miles for basically about £25-30 ($45ish) Can anybody confirm this?
The other thing is just generally looking for advice models wise - If Im fitting the LPG Conversion then I'll probably go for the 3.2 V6 (which I can get for apprx £8000,03,44k miles) or if no LPG then I'll go for the 2.5 TDI (which I can get for apprx £6900,04,60k miles)

Any advice / tips when looking? P.S Im not minted like most on here talking of spending more than $50k odds, Im a 21 yr old student with a Golf at the moment ... :p

Cheers for any advice,

Niall

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I've not heard of anyone doing LPG on a Treg. In Australia LPG conversions are subsidized by the Govt.so there is an incentive to do. I also noted that there is LPG injection for diesels being promoted of late. I know little of this except that you run diesel with LPG injection, increased milage, no loss of power and really good economy. My thought would be however where would you place the tank?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much hunting again (found this link a few days back) heres the link about all I know so far, just its a little old and was hoping for some fresh thoughts?

hxxp://www.mytreg.com/lpg-conversion-p42301.html

As far as I've been told on the diesel one, you still use a LOT of diesel, whereas a petrol conversion uses mainly the gas. But its the actual results Im interested in...

In the UK, we don't have any subsidies any more but it will reduce my tax from £400 per year to £15, due to reduced CO2 emmissions... :)

Niall

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi there!
i am a treg owner from greece.i have converted my 2005 3.2 v6 treg to lpg as soon i purchased it.i have a 100lt tank installed in my trunk.
The price of the lpg per lt in greece is 0.64 EURO.To fill up the tank cost 64 euros:D :twisted:.
As soon it is filled i get 430 km -510km(open road highway).
To fill up the gas tank costs 160 euros :mad: (100 ltr tunk with 1.60 euro/lt) and i get 320-390km per fill.
Do the math in order to see how much you can earn!:cool:
i have travelled 112.000 km with no problem!!
the only thing is a filter change over 15.000km which costs 15 euros and a maintance over the year which costs 60 euros!!!

the conversion costed 1850 euros.
i hope i helped!
have a nice day!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hv converted into LPG 25th apr 2010
its V8,
is it an new treg with the fsi engine?
as i am on to buy the new 3.6 fsi and in greece the lpg conversion is still not available!!
please inform me if yes and it would be greatfull if you could post a link of where you did the conversion!!

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
...."results in less engine wear (due to carbon deposits) without diluting engine oil (often extending oil-change intervals), and until recently was a relative bargain in North America. Octane rating is a noticeably higher 110...."

Caught my attention as I was reading about lpg conversions on wikipedia. Interesting stuff!
this is true but it is not so good for the engines as the fuel is extra dry.there is a new lpg conversion which moves the car with liquid lpg into the engine...great stuff....
it is also true that the lpg is more than 110 octane but as it goes throught the collars to the engine it loses the octane power and inside the engine arrives almost 98 octane....

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
this is true but it is not so good for the engines as the fuel is extra dry.there is a new lpg conversion which moves the car with liquid lpg into the engine...great stuff....
it is also true that the lpg is more than 110 octane but as it goes throught the collars to the engine it loses the octane power and inside the engine arrives almost 98 octane....
Good info to know!

It just occurred to me, are we talking AKI Octane or RON for the Octane numbers with LPG? If it is AKI, hey, the drop to 98 ain't too shabby man! Nothing to complain about. But if it's 98 RON, then the magic is lost. I did a quick search on google, and it doesn't clarify what it is with LPG. Until YOU brought up LPG here, I knew nothing about it BTW, so I'd like to learn more about it :)! I'm all ears.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been lurking for a while now and am about to buy.

I have had many large engined 4x4s in the past and always enjoyed the lpg benefits.

I'm interested in a v8 as I get most of the toys with the car.

I would like to know what kind of miles per gallon some one is getting out of a v8 running on gas. How does it run with the lower power etc.

I can then compare this to a v10 or tdi

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the lpg is dry but you put a flashlube system on it then it is fine;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been lurking for a while now and am about to buy.

I have had many large engined 4x4s in the past and always enjoyed the lpg benefits.

I'm interested in a v8 as I get most of the toys with the car.

I would like to know what kind of miles per gallon some one is getting out of a v8 running on gas. How does it run with the lower power etc.

I can then compare this to a v10 or tdi

Any help greatly appreciated.
thers very little loss of power and much less out you pocket when filling up:D
i run my mitsubishi gto on lpg and theres very little loss of power i have also just converted a subaru turbo 2.5 and the owner is really happy with it and has even said he cannot tell the difference in the performance and he can use it more now cos it costs a lot less to run :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, yes,yes.

The question is tho what mpg are you getting out of a v8?

I know the benefits, and the pit falls (valve lube and octane content)

Seems no one will admit to how poor the performance is????

I have a 2.5 tdi now and can squeeze 39/40 mpg on my 70 mile commute.

Have loved every minute of the Touareg but having put 20k miles on it in 6 months (averages 34mpg overall) i think i am looking to change now as she is just about to hit the 90k mark.

A v8 maybe?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you have a Touareg that is running well and giving you that kind of mpg I'd keep it and consider getting a remap with the emphasis on economy rather than performance to improve that mpg further. That could be £300 well spent rather than coughing up £2K to convert an unknown car that does 18-20 mpg at best and can be VERY expensive to fix without a warranty which, if you have converted to LPG, may be void.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts