Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Hope you are having great Christmas and holiday over the end of year.

I joined to Touareg world just before Christmas by purchasing 2nd hand vehicle (2007 Touareg V6 FSI) from VW dealership.

I am still playing with all buttons & knobs as I was a Lexus owner and all Cars from Germany are quite different with Japanese cars. I could not even release the parking brake when I picked this car and had to look at the manual for more than 30 mins at dealership before I took off. :confused:

Anyway, I have couple of questions as this was my first time with VW in my lifetime.

I found 3 tiny things that I need to talk to the dealership again.

1. The steering wheel column - Is it normal that the steering wheel column does not raise from the point in the attached picture?
I am a quite small guy so I need to raise up the seat to get the full vision of wind screen and by doing this I cannot get the full view of speedo so I need to raise the steering wheel column as well to get the full view of speedo.
I had no problem with my previous lexus to raise up the column to get the full view of speedo but the steering column of this car does not raise up anymore than the attached picture. I am guessing something stuck inside the gear as I can see there is a Bluetooth mic and the line goes through there.

This makes me very uncomfortable as I cannot see the speedo and MFD properly. Could you guys confirm that this is normal in other Touaregs or is there something wrong with it?

2. Cigarette Lighter missing from centre console.

3. Cup holder under inside arm rest does not hold the cup holder and keeps popping out.

I am pretty sure they will have a look at the steering wheel column if there is anything wrong with it but I am not sure if the warranty covers for item 2 & 3. The dealer told me that I have 3 months & 5000km warranty but I am not sure if they cover item 2 & 3 as they are the instrument items not mechanism of the car.

Can anyone give me any clues on this?

Thanks in advance.

Jin

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,185 Posts
Hi Jindandy, welcome.

1. Steering wheel/column is adjustable for height and reach. While seated in the drivers seat, place a hand under the steering column shroud. You will feel a lever. Pull it down and towards you (only do this while the vehicle is stationary). With the lever released, you can now lift/drop the height of the wheel, and pull/push the wheel closer/further way from you. When you believe it's in the correct position, reach for the lever and push it forward and up. It will lock the column into position.

2. I believe there is only one cigarette lighter for the 2 x 12v outlets in the centre console (one to the left of the differential selector and one in the front storage bin - in front of the selector).

3. Cup holder spring retainer is now unserviceable. I don't believe it is repairable, and requires replacement.

Depending upon the fine print of your warranty, you may have a good chance with getting the drink/cup holder replaced.

Well done on the purchase :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
cig lighter (the bit that glows) may be stowed in a tricky little place inside armrest......

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Cannot help on your queries but if you have not seen it, do read the buying a used Touareg thread: the link is in my signature. You will learn a lot from that that the dealers don't know!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your input and welcoming.

I tried to search the same problem from this forum and I found a thread. The original thread poster ended up peeling all plastic covers off and re adjust the belt in the steering column gear and mine looks the same problem and that could have been happened when the previous owner installed the bluetooth mic.
I talked to dealer in this morning and was told to call them back on next Tuesday cos their mechanics are back on next tuesday.

Hopefully this problem gets sorted. I did not even bother to tell the dealer about the cigarret lighter and the broken cup holder as i can order the oem style lighter under $10 from ebay and dont really use the cup holder.

I will look in to the links provided noobytoogy as my next step is replacing the interior lights to leds.

Thanks.
Jin

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Welcome Jindandy, The cigarette lighter only comes if specifically ordered, usually just specified as a 12v power outlet now days. Is your steering manual or electric adjustment and yes it looks too low. The cup holder thing happened to me very early in life and I have never even used it but to fix it VW style it is a whole new lid by memory at multiple hundreds of dollars and dealer says no warranty fix, wear and tear!?!?!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The missing "cigarette" lighter is actually just a plastic cap to plug the open hole and prevent children stuffing coins down there and short circuiting the loom!

If you don't smoke - a filthy habit - get yourself the rechargeable LED torch off e-bay that fits the socket.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the tips.
I went back to service dept and they booked on 12th Jan for the work after having a look at the issue and agreed it is too low. I did not mention the other two as I am buying a usb charging dock and put it on where the missing cigarrete lighter was. Cup holder? Never mind.. i won't even open that armrest.

The steering column is electric.

I will see how VW service dept says as I believe this should be covered under warranty.

Jin

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Jin, does the column move in any direction? John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts