Club Touareg Forum banner
361 - 380 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
So my painter was obviously color blind and/or will never get a contract with the army. It is more pepermint than camo.

I guess it means I am loosing a friend here. oh well. These 18Z caliper will be a nice fit with my 350mm BBK
I mean, it does look good, but it's no camo

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
Let's switch gears for a sec.... do you plan to dyno your whip (for educational purposes)?
I would love to see how\if your power curve has shifted as a result of your non seafoam\BBK upgrades.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
A single dyno pull is worthless
The only thing that matters is the same car (or same car model) on the same model with and without mods and measure the difference.

But there is one thing that is absolutely sure, it is faster & a lot more fun than stock. I'm not saying it IS fast, let's agree it is less slow. I like how it drives. A LOT.

I should get my brake pad wear sensor today or so, but the Motul 5.1 Oil might take a few more days ETA is Sept 22. I think there is a price error, they are at least 10$/500ml. got 12 for 76$ delivered. It was well over 50$ for 3x500ml, so go big or go home eh!!

I did the oil change during lunch today, got my stuff at the dealer. 184$ (CAN) for 10L oil, oil filter and crush washer. I really wonder how much they charge, probably 250$+tx or more.

I switched to the new 0W30 (over 5W30) witch is the new OEM recommendation. This should be nice for the winter. I always change the oil at fall because the oil is more performant when new and the cold start is probably the hardest thing on the engine (after the +900C EGT pulls of course ;))

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Let's switch gears for a sec.... do you plan to dyno your whip (for educational purposes)?
I would love to see how\if your power curve has shifted as a result of your non seafoam\BBK upgrades.
Not sure if serious? BBK not gonna impact a Dyno but you'd definitely see differences in time slips (assuming it weighs Significantly more or less than stock..)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
man, I wearing out my F5 key. SaVAGsoot?

oh I'll be much slower with that 20mm brake increase for sure. Everyone know that the brake diameter is what drives the 1/4mile time on 5000lbs rig

I'll ask Malone for a 950C EGT tune to compensate.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
You two went off on a tangent. Bbk is the joke as is the seafoam green... Zero anything to do with dyno.
I am curious about the slightly larger snail and it's inertia and how it adds lag. Theoretically, it might be zeroed out by the opening up of the exhaust due to his deletes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 · (Edited)
I think they even out indeed. Boost kick is at around 2000RPM; almost par with stock.

Still dreaming of that CKD engine BTW. If someone could smash its ride I'll buy they entire thing and I would be one of the very few 4.2TDI in north America. importing just a few bits and pieces is suicidal because of lack of availability of the components...
one harness, one computer can delay the project a lot; and it seems so expensive. Bare stock engine are +4500Euros, add snail rebuild/upgrade, timing chain, transmission, exhaust work; this is a +15k$ project. Expensive for "just" 100HP... and not a hell lot faster.
I was tempted by the V10 with 2x GTB2260, but the potential transmission issues with global feel of the T2 are giving me a hard time.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
Don't know how dynos work downunder, but on this side of the pond they result in a power/tq graph vs rpm which illustrates power curve, peaks, spikes, etc. Many of us also log other various parameters when doing dyno pulls like AFR/Lambda, EGTs, etc.
If you don't start your pull at 2.5k rpm to mask just how useless your big turbo is on a DD, you can easily see lag/spool.

As previously stated, I'm interested in seeing the difference between how the different snails react and shift the area under the curve instead of some peak output or whatever gets most people around here hard AF.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
292 Posts
Don't know how dynos work downunder, but on this side of the pond they result in a power/tq graph vs rpm which illustrates power curve, peaks, spikes, etc. Many of us also log other various parameters when doing dyno pulls like AFR/Lambda, EGTs, etc.
If you don't start your pull at 2.5k rpm to mask just how useless your big turbo is on a DD, you can easily see lag/spool.

As previously stated, I'm interested in seeing the difference between how the different snails react and shift the area under the curve instead of some peak output or whatever gets most people around here hard AF.
Engine is full throttle before you release the brake on the dyno. You are after boost threshold, which is different to lag.

When you talk about how it "shifts the area under the curve", you are talking about boost threshold.

People often get lag and boost threshold mixed up, just link intercooler and aftercooler.

361 - 380 of 391 Posts