Club Touareg Forum banner
301 - 320 of 391 Posts

· Registered
5,533 Posts
Where did you get that TQ number.
I'd guess maybe 485-500 with stock turbo. No idea what his current turbo will add, maybe another 20-40 torque, I wouldn't guess any higher

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
let's not get bug down with power and torque figures, it is irreverent to my point. What matters is how it drives, and it is awesome & fun lol

I can settle for stock figures if it makes anyone happy. 240HP & 406ft is still a hell lot more than most AWD cars and cannot reach the fuel consumption I posted. I couldn't even do that with my impreza (2.5 NA). it is golf sportwagen 4motion territory, but MUCH bigger and heavier.

· Registered
332 Posts
let's not get bug down with power and torque figures, it is irreverent to my point. What matters is how it drives, and it is awesome & fun lol

I can settle for stock figures if it makes anyone happy. 240HP & 406ft is still a hell lot more than most AWD cars and cannot reach the fuel consumption I posted. I couldn't even do that with my impreza (2.5 NA). it is golf sportwagen 4motion territory, but MUCH bigger and heavier.
No I was just curious because I have a Stage 2 Malone, need to remove the DPF system.

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 · (Edited)
The difference between stage 2 and stage 3 with delete is far more important than from stock to stage 2. I don't know about the feel difference between stage 2 to stage 2 with deleted. I don't expect the snail to be a game changer considering the minimal size difference, maybe 25HP-ish and an almost imperceptible 100-200 RPM shift in powerband; most likely offset by the reduce back-pressure of the larger downpipe & DPF

Sound has a big play in the impression of speed as you get more feedback lol.

As you might expect, I am still very happy about the decisions/changes that I have made. Nothing else in mind, with the only exception of the window trim & front grill chrome delete. Maybe.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
@zambony
All jokes aside, have you confirmed the lie-o-meter consumption you're seeing with a manual calculation?
Is it even close?
I'm not liking these fuel prices so I'm only interested in deletes\mods to pick up some FE if anything.

· Registered
5,533 Posts
The difference between stage 2 and stage 3 with delete is far more important than from stock to stage 2. I don't know about the feel difference between stage 2 to stage 2 with deleted. I don't expect the snail to be a game changer considering the minimal size difference, maybe 25HP-ish and an almost imperceptible 100-200 RPM shift in powerband.

Sound has a big play in the impression of speed as you get more feedback lol.

As you might expect, I am still very happy about the decisions/changes that I have made. Nothing else in mind, with the only exception of the window trim & front grill chrome delete. Maybe.

Didn't you go right into deleted and bypassed stage 2 with emissions intact?

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 · (Edited)
@zambony
All jokes aside, have you confirmed the lie-o-meter consumption you're seeing with a manual calculation?
Is it even close?
I'm not liking these fuel prices so I'm only interested in deletes\mods to pick up some FE if anything.
No I didn't check if it was lying. I would have need to fill up, highway drive then fill again to get good measures. I did highway, mountain-ish spirited drive, then highway back home. Even if it is 10% off, I would still consider this good.

There is no way the cost of the extra hardware + tune is offset by extra fuel efficiency. But I appreciate the extra ponies and this is what I paid for; while fuel efficiency has improved.
Didn't you go right into deleted and bypassed stage 2 with emissions intact?
I went from 100% stock
then stock hardware, stage 2 tune (with emission)
then upgraded turbo, rawtek downpipe & DPF, stage 3

· Registered
5,533 Posts
No I didn't check if it was lying. I would have need to fill up, highway drive then fill again to get good measures. I did highway, mountain-ish spirited drive, then highway back home. Even if it is 10% off, I would still consider this good.

There is no way the cost of the extra hardware + tune is offset by extra fuel efficiency. But I appreciate the extra ponies and this is what I paid for; while fuel efficiency has improved.

I went from 100% stock
then stock hardware, stage 2 tune (with emission)
then upgraded turbo, rawtek downpipe & DPF, stage 3
With stock tire size my computer was 2-4mpg off every tank. Huge difference.

You're saying post deletes was significantly bigger change than stage 2 with emissions?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
There is no way the cost of the extra hardware + tune is offset by extra fuel efficiency.
Oh I realize that.... but once my dieselgate warranty expires, I plan on deleting DPF\DEF\EGR and opening up the exhaust for reliability purposes and to lower EGTs.... I'm expecting some FE gains as well and it would simply be extra incentive\motivation to know that there's a potential 10-15% FE gain to be had.

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
2 drawback of the mods:
  • Smell. It is quite strong, even outside. This can be annoying if you have an interior parking.
  • With the EGR delete, the engine takes longer to warmup. Thankfully I have the pre fix TCM flash, I hated to see the transmission shift so high on light throttle.

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
I agree and I don't regret. This is just so you know what you will get into.
The downpipe & DPF changes the voice as well, not noticeable under steady speed but definitely appreciable under acceleration.

There are 2 kits for the downpipe & DPF, Buzzken & Rawtek both made in Canada. Rawtek is more expensive, but better stainless quality and 3in (VS 2.5in). I got my kit at blackfriday and had quite a good deal (40% ish discount). the tune was 15% off in that same period as well.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
Full aware of "aftermarket" options.
I will be custom making my own. The exhaust "tract" is quite simple and I cannot imagine spending on these market offerings, even when on sale... there's f-all to them..... I'll also be dumping the suitcase to straighten out the flow path.
Straight piped to dual mufflers... something like this
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

The tune I will have to get, but I'll probably spend the extra for custom as I'll be looking to have it optimized to my level of "deletes" and optimized for towing vs 1320 runs.

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
The only problem I see with the aftermarket mufflers is the extra attention from cops. I am trying as much as possible to keep an OEM+ look; although I would LOVE a full 3in line and replace the suitcase with other mufflers.

My ride is a bit lower, non-OEM wheels, smell & smoke, etc.. Depending on the region you live in and local police mod friendliness it might track attention. And once you get called in for an inspection, not sure where they will stop.

· Registered
5,533 Posts
2 drawback of the mods:
  • Smell. It is quite strong, even outside. This can be annoying if you have an interior parking.
  • With the EGR delete, the engine takes longer to warmup. Thankfully I have the pre fix TCM flash, I hated to see the transmission shift so high on light throttle.
All true. Makes me giggle when people delete and then get mad when their diesel with it's emissions removed stinks.

I agree and I don't regret. This is just so you know what you will get into.
The downpipe & DPF changes the voice as well, not noticeable under steady speed but definitely appreciable under acceleration.

There are 2 kits for the downpipe & DPF, Buzzken & Rawtek both made in Canada. Rawtek is more expensive, but better stainless quality and 3in (VS 2.5in). I got my kit at blackfriday and had quite a good deal (40% ish discount). the tune was 15% off in that same period as well.
Both manufacturers only produce pipes for different engine codes, they don't both make pipes that will fit every year Touareg. It's one or the other

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
Both manufacturers only produce pipes for different engine codes, they don't both make pipes that will fit every year Touareg. It's one or the other
Anyone that has ever worked with custom charge pipes or exhaust can easily come up with a solution.
It's almost a "straight shot" and if you delete all the nonsense, you only need a few v band flanges, a fex section and a couple of elbows.... quite simple and you can reduce the length by a good 4ft... even if you want the suitcase for your local boys in blue.... don't be jelly of my mad paint skillz yo
Photograph Product Font Line Urban design

301 - 320 of 391 Posts